Newcomer

Should have left my home network alone.....

Hello,

I should have left my home network alone all my devices: laptop, phone, tablet, laptop, Xbox One & desktop could see the home network's SSID.  Now when I try to change the Wireless 2.4 GHZ's SSID and Pre-Shared Key, like it was before.  Then save it Enable Wireless box cannot be checked. I tried resetting my gateway and check to see if the "new" home network name shows up. But instead of seeing the home network any device can connect wireless to internet, doesn't show up. But my computer shows me connected to wired connection with the "new" home network SSID name I used.

If I restore factory settings then change the Wireless 5GHZ's SSID my phone can connect to it (since I never removed the home network from the Wi-Fi Settings). But my tablet, laptop, desktop and Xbox One can't find the network.  Also, my desktop, is connected with an Ethernet cable. But when put my mouse over the network icon, it shows the Ethernet connection with the name that suppose to be the wireless SSID.

Any suggestions to fix this, I will be forever grateful. This happen a few weeks ago and I feel like having my preferred SSID showing up, instead of the Factory's SSID.

(I hope I explained, so it make sense.)

Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES
Trusted Helper

Re: Should have left my home network alone.....

@Kesha wrote:

Hello,

I should have left my home network alone all my devices: laptop, phone, tablet, laptop, Xbox One & desktop could see the home network's SSID.  Now when I try to change the Wireless 2.4 GHZ's SSID and Pre-Shared Key, like it was before.  Then save it Enable Wireless box cannot be checked. I tried resetting my gateway and check to see if the "new" home network name shows up. But instead of seeing the home network any device can connect wireless to internet, doesn't show up. But my computer shows me connected to wired connection with the "new" home network SSID name I used.

If I restore factory settings then change the Wireless 5GHZ's SSID my phone can connect to it (since I never removed the home network from the Wi-Fi Settings). But my tablet, laptop, desktop and Xbox One can't find the network.  Also, my desktop, is connected with an Ethernet cable. But when put my mouse over the network icon, it shows the Ethernet connection with the name that suppose to be the wireless SSID.

Any suggestions to fix this, I will be forever grateful. This happen a few weeks ago and I feel like having my preferred SSID showing up, instead of the Factory's SSID.

(I hope I explained, so it make sense.)

Thanks in advance!

Greetings,

A few questions:

1.) What is/are the reasons for changing your home network in the first place?

2.) What is your current service level with TWC?

3.) What equipment do you own, as well as rent from them?

4.) Make and model of computers, and operating system on them?

5.) Other than what is mentioned above, have you changed any passwords or security settings since this issue began?

6.) Any hardware or software updates or modifications to your systems?

7.) List the make and model of your Internet modem/routers for reference.

We need to find out if this is an issue related to your own network, or something on TWC's end.  Your answers to the above questions will assist in this determination.

Satch

Newcomer

Hey Satch,

1.) What is/are the reasons for changing your home network in the first place?

I don't like the name, it's too long. It randoms letters and numbers.

2.) What is your current service level with TWC?

Digital cable w/ DVR, Extreme WiFi & Phone services

3.) What equipment do you own, as well as rent from them?

DVR, digital box and Arris Gateway

4.) Make and model of computers, and operating system on them?

HP Pavillion laptop w/ Windows 10, Dell Inspirion PC w/ Windows 7.

5.) Other than what is mentioned above, have you changed any passwords or security settings since this issue began?

No, nothing has changed but messing with SSID, when I should have left it alone.

6.) Any hardware or software updates or modifications to your systems?

No, everything is the same

7.) List the make and model of your Internet modem/routers for reference.

Arris MTA Model: TG1672G

Newcomer

i fixed it! I used the settings on TWC's website instead of going into the gateway's settings.

Thanks!