Browser

SagemCom Fast 5260 and adding a Static IP/MAC for a wireless device

I am on TW/Spectrum

Have SagemCom 5260 in home, also have as an access point a Netgear X6S.

I have a few Wifi leak detector devices with Mac addresses I want to ensure stay on a certain IP. They are connected via Wifi on the Netgear AP. <-----------important I think

You cannot set an IP on the Wifi device itself.

Of course the SagemCom is set up as DHCP and the AP (Netgear) is set to obtain addresses from SagemCom.

In the Netgear AP there is a way to reserve addresses under Avanced and Static Routes menu selection. However you cannot input a MAC address so it will serve me no good.

BUT..... since the 5260 doles out IP addresses being it is DHCP, there is a setting under DHCP and then Add Reserved Addresses and it allows a MAC address.

When I click on Device Name on the Sagemcom it prefills the MAC and IP address the device is using...

However when I click Apply it says this address is already in use--see picture below. Cannnot save the entry..  Well IP is in use but I want to keep that IP reserved for it if possible.

So the question is where and how can I ensure these wifi internet of thing type devices that receive a DHCP IP address get a static IP that does not change, if possible?

Thanks for hleping a noob.

Sincerely

Peter

Add Reserved Address

Screenshot_2019-04-02 Sagemcom F st5260 Router.png

6 REPLIES 6
Browser

Re: SagemCom Fast 5260 and adding a Static IP/MAC for a wireless device

Ok-My guess would be to just change the IP to one that is not used perhaps 192.168.1.101 and Apply the settings.

Then hopefully that device when reset will then use those ip addresses.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Peter

Proven Sharer

You need to look carefully at the DHCP range programmed into your SagemCom router.  Remember that all static addresses MUST be outside the window allocated for DHCP. 

EXAMPLE:  If your router's DHCP range starts at 192.168.1.100 (and goes up to 192.168.1.254), the addressess ending in 99 and below can be issued as static IP addresses. 

NOTES:  Some Apple products have difficulty working with single last digits so don't assign 1 through 10 as static. Start your DHCP range no lower than .11

Also do not assign a static address to a smartphone's MAC ID.  If you do that and the user moves out of the WiFi coverage area, the phone usually fails to reconnect to the cellular carrier signal. 

Last, assign a static address for each networked printer that uses WiFi instead of wired ethernet cabling.  Otherwise the printer surrenders its DHCP lease whenever it goes to sleep between network print jobs. 

Browser

Actually upon testing with the SagemCom under DHCP settings, DHCP section I have Pool Start at 192.168.0.3 and Pool End at 192.168.0.200 

YOU CANNOT add a Reserved Address outside (above 200) as the router will say invalid not in IP range. It only lets me assign within the pool. So if I try to add an address of 192.168.0.210, it will say invalid .

Oh well I can live with it.

Thanks

Peter

Proven Sharer

The unusual behavior of the SagemCom router invalidating any addresses above the DHCP top end of 200 might reflect a processing constraint or an internal memory limit.  Therefore, given that supplier's variance from the rest of the IT world, simply start your DHCP pool higher (100 in my example) and put all your static IPs at the bottom, from 11 to 99, which is 1 less than the DHCP starting point.  Nobody using Spectrum's home internet will get satisfactory throughtput if they are using all 254 slots anyhow.

Browser

Thanks. Tried start pool at 100. End pool at 150.

When trying to add a reserved IP it still says invalid IP.

So Sagemcom is basically stating if you want to reserve an address it MUST fall within the pool.   Sad.

Played around with other pool start and end points  and same "Invalid IP Range" when not falling within the pool.

Thanks anyway.

Sincerely

Peter

Proven Sharer

Please do post back if you get a working solution.  The SagemCom is a weird beast and we're still learning its tricks.