Not applicable

Range extenders and Spectrum internet issue

I am having issues wtih a range extender and Spectrum internet. I frequently, but not always, get an "no internet connection" message when attempting to connect to the extended network. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I have tried 2 different Netgear extenders and now a Linksys extender. Same issue. I did not have the issue with my previous provider (Fairpoint). So, I do not think it is an extender issue but must be a setting or something on my router. Any suggestions? Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5
Expert

Re: Range extenders and Spectrum internet issue

Get a real hi powered wireless router and throw this junk away...

Something with visible external antennas

Spectrum Employee

Unfortunately W2W (Wifi-to-Wifi) range extenders can seriously be hampered by existing wireless setting issues and network health problems inside your home on both sides of the network (service provider and homeowner). Before continuing, please post up any associated models, brands or devices you are using, along with the modem diagnostic page located at 192.168.100.1 or 192.168.0.1 (if you have a gateway device provided by Spectrum). Once you do, consult the following and see if any of these answer any potential issues as well: Usually, when a range extender is having problems there are a number of reasons for this. Chief among them that lead to a solution: You have a pre-existing condition with the device providing service. This could be the modem, gateway, or secondary router. this is usually caused by low/bad signals and can be remedied by a service call from a professional technician who can diagnose and clear up and repair the service side of your network. You have a bad router to begin with. Older, "common" routers are starting to not play well with newer devices. If you've got an older router, it may not have the proper settings and without more details or information as to brand, age or even a model number, this could easily cause issues regardless of settings. Your device is simply not compatible. Not all routers are made equal. Even new devices can be bad out of the box. Doing your research and buying a good quality, well balanced router is key. You have a Gateway Device. Gateways are provided by your Service provider and Combine your Modem, Router, Wireless access point and occasionally Phone device into a single device that sits on your desk. Seperating these devices into at least Modem + Wireless Router is a perferred step when networking issues result from equipment issues and not from service provider network health issues. You have existing range issues that exist in your home. Traditional style houses, and anything really built before 2004 in most parts of the country use a varied approach to layouts. Long, segmented corridors, concrete pillars for supports, brick covered over by sheetrock, hidden cinderblock walls, Fireplaces boarded over or good ole' Floor to ceiling Mirrors... These are all examples of some of the obstacles that will absolutely DESTROY wireless signal. Large, Ranch style or multi-level homes; these also suffer greatly. Your router, only has a "good" range of between 30-100ft with clear line of sight. The more distance you put into the mix on WHERE you need service can greatly determine what level of service you will recieve. W2W range extenders are the Band-aid's of the networking world. These devices were never great to begin with, however with any issues previously listed, can become increasingly difficult to use or install with any measure of clarity. If you've swapped the devices several times with the same result, then you need to consult the previous bullets and inspect your wifi network in your house using Amateur/professional wifi analyzer software or invest in a new/better router. (again, don't know what you are using yet as you did not provide models or serial numbers for equipment.) So These are some of the many questions that run through my head as I am looking at wifi range issues, and some of the dilemmas you will run into with W2W range extenders. I usually recommend staying away from them in general, and investing in something that will enable a physical link connection. Hardline Ethernet to dedicated Access Point. Most expensive, but most reliable, especially with multiple deadspots. Powerline adapter to Wireless AP Cheaper, but much more effective when only one location needs wifi access where existing obstacles have been identified. Only downside is your electrical wiring must be on point. Powerline to Powerline Adapter Cheaper than Powerline to Wireless, however only provides a single physical connection unless connected to an external/secondary access point with the same restriction on electrical wiring. A "Super" router Expensive, and generally only effective if you have an older, deficient device you are replacing. If you already have a newer model (Generally anything N+600 or AC+1300 rated) you already have a near top-of-the-line model in the first place. Replacing an AC 1300 w/ AC1750 for example isn't generally going to improve distance just other issues like internal speed and handling power. Wireless-to-Wireless Range extenders (W2W) The cheapest, and usually most ineffective method. Due to multiple issues above, I usually place this option on the bottom of my list. These are good for hooking up remote locations where speed is not an issue and connectivity is prime. Like a wireless printer on the other side of a house, or getting connection simply to check emails. Streaming services and such will not work great with these devices. While they do "work" they are the most succeptible to network issues and hardest to master properly and harness for your home.

I post on my off hours, away from work and any statements made are my opinions, and do not necessarily reflect the views and beliefs of Spectrum Communications.

Spectrum Employee

Sorry for the block text, for some reason my computer is glitching out and won't let me edit this properly. I swear it was better formatted than that when i submitted it.

I post on my off hours, away from work and any statements made are my opinions, and do not necessarily reflect the views and beliefs of Spectrum Communications.

Expert

In other words, get rid of the range extenders and get a real router....

Highlighted
Not applicable

I am using a Ubee modem/router that was supplied by Spectrum. The issue did not happen with my old provider and modem/router which was through Fairpoint Communications. So, I do not think it is a pre-existing condition with the house, wiring, walls, etc. It has to be something with the Spectrum service and/or modem/router.