Observer

Purchase TWC modem

I have an Arris Model TG862G modem from Time Warner on which I receive a landline telephone signal and cable internet; not TV. I have plugged into the modem a Linksys E1000 ver 2 router generating a WiFi signal. I am paying $8 a month rental to TWC for the modem. My question: Can I purchase the modem from TWC, and if so, what would it cost? Thanks.

7 REPLIES
Participant

Re: Purchase TWC modem

You might want to try getting one online or just go to Best Buy and see what modems are available. I got the Motorola Surfboard S6782-AC at Best Buy. It's a combination modem and router. The only problem was, at first, TWC told me it was not compatible with their system (which I had already investigated and was told it was). After about an hour it was up and running. I have had no problems since.

Keep in mind, TWC will have control over the modem (firmware updates, etc.).

Expert

No, you need to buy a modem off the compatability list  and capable of any future upgrades as well as a 2 way splitter and cables. You keep the existing modem at no charge for phone only and the new one is internet only.

Info on the "buy your own modem" page

http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/residential-home/support/topics/internet/buy-your-modem.html

Observer

Thank you. Three questions:

(1) I assume the splitter goes on the cable which currently connects from the wall outlet to the existing TWC modem, and that from the splitter, there will be two cables: to the TWC modem and to the new “compatible” modem to which I will then attach the Linksys router. Is that correct?

(2) I have been told by other amateurs like myself that the problem with inserting a splitter into the line from the wall outlet is that a splitter will reduce the “strength” (clarity, speed, etc.) of the incoming TWC signal. Is that true? If so, is there a particular kind or brand of splitter that is best for this purpose?

(3) You wrote, “You keep the existing modem at no charge for phone only”. Does that mean there is no TWC monthly rental charge (currently $8) for the TWC-provided modem if all that it is used for is phone service, even though there will be another modem owned by me using the TWC-provided internet signal?

Thanks again.

Valued Contributor

(1) There is a coax cable coming into your house that should be split during the original installation. One line goes to the Internet modem, the other to your TV(s). The phone modem can be split from a TV connection, not the modem line, which was very convenient for me since I wanted the phone not near the Internet modem. You can even arrange to keep your current number. 

(2) Phone modems use very little of your allocated bandwidth. A TV shouldn't be impacted.

(3) In my case, TWC did the phone installation many years after I first had service with them and at no charge. Ask the agent if you will be charged prior to the installation. It's a little tricky otherwise but not difficult.The modem costs me $0/mo. It's included in the monthly phone charges. 

Observer

There are two cables coming from my TWC cable modem, a telephone cord and a coax cable. Each is connected  to a wall plate which has two jacks, one for the telephone cord and one for the coax cable. If I understand correctly what you are telling me (for which help thanks to all), what I need to do is (1) leave the telephone cord untouched (so it continues to run between the wall plate and the TWC modem), and (2) disconnect the coax cable from the TWC modem and connect it to a newly purchased modem (from the compatible list). Is that correct?

Update: I think the answer to my question is at http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/support/internet/step-by-step/modem-activation.html   "... buy a two-way, 5-1000MHz coaxial cable splitter and two pieces of coaxial cable with connectors...."

Highlighted
Observer

I am up and running with an Arris/Motorola Surfboard SB6141 modem, a Monster Cable Ultra switcher, and 1.5 foot coax cables by Cable Matters, all purchased at Amazon. When I received them, I followed the instructions at

http://www.timewarnercable.com/en/support/internet/step-by-step/modem-activation.html

The process took twenty minutes or so, and went smoothly. Thanks to all for your help.

Expert

You should not be using a A-B switch but a 2 way splitter on the 2 new pieces of Coax.

Otherwise, you won't get phone calls when the a-b is set to the computer modem.

Copy and paste the modems signal level page from 192.168.100.1or 0.1