Highlighted
Not applicable

Modems,& Routers for TWC telephone and internet that work with MOCA

I am trying to set up a M?OCA network. I have the combined Modem Router TG 1672. I was told by tech support all I have to do is go into the modem and check the box that says enable MOCA. Went to Airris website got into the m odem Nope box is there but will not let you click it. Contacted their tech support and he said Airris does not support MOCA on any of their modems. So.... What to do? Can I buy my own modem and then split the signal going into the original modem and use their modem for phone router and mine for the moca network? Or ????

Thanks in advance

PS what modem would be best suited for the purpose?

3 REPLIES
Proven Sharer

Re: Modems,& Routers for TWC telephone and internet that work with MOCA

For your VoIP telephone service connection you are required to use the TG1672 eMTA modem provided by Spectrum at no charge.  You can insert a 2-port splitter and add your personally owned and maintained internet modem, followed by a separate router & WiFi unit.  If you plan to use MOCA, you must place a MOCA blocking filter at the feed point of the 2-way splitter, where the outside cable from Spectrum connects to your equipment.  As you have discovered, Spectrum does block MOCA activation on the home internet gateway devices they provide to customers.  However, once you add your own MOCA blocking filter you can build your in-home cable network, although you haven't said what you are trying to accomplish.

Note that in theory you could buy and insert a combined "all-in-one" modem and WiFi router for your internet connection.  Many of the forum contributors recommend against doing that for technical, security, and monetary reasons, even when MOCA is not used.  We do suggest that internet over powerline devices can also be used to resolve install issues. 

Not applicable

Thank You for your response. I have tried power line adapters before and they dont solve the issue, I am setting up TIVO in the home and dont have ethernet cables throught as at the time I only installed RG6. and regular telephone cable.I appreciate your help

Thank You

Gary

Proven Sharer

EoPL adapters do work best when the circuits feeding the power outlets at both ends have their breakers on the same (left vs right) side of the breaker box.  You might be able to plug one end into a different outlet and greatly improve the data transfer speed.  You probably knew that already, since it's mentioned in most user install guides.  Hope you can find a workable solution for your own home network and are willing to pass it along here so that others can learn and enjoy.