Not applicable

Modem - Can I have a wired connection in one port while connecting a wirless router to another port?

I have the Arris DCX3600-M modem, with 4 ethenet ports. Is it possible to connect a wireless router (Airport) to one port to serve my wirless network, and also have a wired connection to my xbox in the 2nd port? I can get them to work fine individually, but they don't seem to both work at the same time.

Is there a way to have a wired connection to my xbox directly into the modem, while also sending internet to my wirless router?

4 REPLIES 4
Expert

Re: Modem - Can I have a wired connection in one port while connecting a wirless router to another p

A DCX3600 is not a cable modem/router, it is a cable tv box. The RJ45 port on it is not active for full internet speeds, TWC never implemented that option and  there is only one port as far as I know. The 3600's internal modem is for housekeeping and IPTV/ WHDVR connections.

Not applicable

Re: Modem - Can I have a wired connection in one port while connecting a wirless router to another p

Hi,

Apologies, you are correct, that was my cable box model. I meant to say the modem is the Arris TG1672.

Can I have a wired connection to my xbox in one port, while using a second port to send internet connection to my wireless router? Or would that count as two internet connections? I haven't been able to have both working at the same time.

Thanks!
Joel

Proven Sharer

@MsRaye   I believe the RJ45 console connection on the DCX series STB was originally intended to let a TWC repair shop reprogram some of the box security parameters off-network.  It probably does nothing any more.

Proven Sharer

@jrtallent wrote:

Hi,

Apologies, you are correct, that was my cable box model. I meant to say the modem is the Arris TG1672.

Can I have a wired connection to my xbox in one port, while using a second port to send internet connection to my wireless router? Or would that count as two internet connections? I haven't been able to have both working at the same time.

Thanks!
Joel

The answer to your question is NO, unless you are an IP wizard.  You can only have ONE active router and ONE active WiFi unit on your cable connection.  The TWC modem+router would have to be set for bridging mode.  You can only use LAN Port #1, which is where you connect your new Customer Owned And Maintained Router+WiFi box using a CAT5e cable.   Then you can use the four LAN switch ports on your separate external Router+WiFi as you wish.  Of course WiFi becomes moot if it is already built into your router.

If you want to dig deeper, we'll need specific make and model details of each piece in the puzzle.