Keep or switch routers?

I'm about to move into my new apartment next week where we will be getting the 300mbps internet. I was going to purchase a ARRIS SURFboard SB6183 but the girlfriend already has a Linksys 2500 router.

Should I switch routers due to the 300MBPS cap on the router?

Note that I'll be using the internet for gaming so would prefer low pings.

Thanks,

Jason

4 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Keep or switch routers?

You might not be getting 300 meg service.... Charter stopped offering it and the website is incorrect, showing it's available and they won't activate it.

What's your zip, how far is this move?

DO NOT BUY A 6183... TWC IS NOT SUPPORTING THEM FULLY AND HAS NOT PUSHED THE FW UPDATE THEY PROMISED BY APRIL.

IPV6 DOES NOT WORK ON THEM ANYMORE.

The move isnt too far away from my current location, zip is 11201. Thanks for the advice!

Do you think it would be better to wait for information from Charter? Do we know if they will be releasing information on the  1st September?

Participant

Look, first things first:    The SB6183, is simply a cable modem, which I presume you already know.  It is a 16x4 device, which means that it's capable of supporting download speeds of 686 Mbps DOWNLOAD and 131 Mbps UPLOAD.   TWC of course only offers speeds (where available) up to  300/20 (but they typically over-provision, so most people with the highest plans actually get speeds that are around 10-20% higher in real world use). 

None of that has to do with latency and lag, which is what you're really going to be concerned about if you're interested in gaming.   Your girlfriend's Linksys E2500 is probably not what you want to use for gaming if you're thinking about going wirelessly, since it's limited to  802.11n and isn't among the top performing wireless routers around.   If you're thinking of connecting your gaming device directly to a LAN port on the Linksys,  while the LAN ports are only "Fast" Ethernet (not GbE, or 1,000 Mbps), meaning they are 10/100 Mbps only, they are probably fast enough for most gaming devices out there (in fact, unless you're using a gaming computer with a GbE NIC in it, I think most of the game systems only use 10/100 ports anyway).

I personally own an SB6183, and if you don't care about IPv6 capability, it's a great cable modem.   But I cannot recommend that you purchase one at this time, since as Ms. Raye noted, TWC has disabled support for IPv6 on this modem.  Whether that's a temporary thing or a permanent deal, I have no idea, and apparently neither does anyone else.  Of course, if you don't care about IPv6 at this time, then by all means, the SB6183 is a great modem and you can get one for around $89 these days. 

Personally, rather than investing in a modem at this point, pending the implementation of DOCSIS 3.1,  I would just rent one of the Arris devices from TWC/Charter, either just a cable modem, or a combo device (about two years ago, I used the Arris DG1670 and it was pretty decent).   Or buy the SB6190, which does support IPv6 and higher speeds as well if you're interested in purchasing.