Highlighted
Observer

Improving my network

My internet wifi signal is weak and  i dont know what i can do to imrove it. i live in a two story house and the connection from the tg1672 comes one day and goes the next even when i am next to the modem theres drops.  we have had techs come out and called in for  support but this problem always comes back. maybe its  our our tech gear or maybe its because we are the only time warner cable customers in this area when everyone else has verizon including the previous owner of this house. cant say for sur.  right now i am not getting any  significant pings with my connection and i am using the wifi analyzer app to  adjust things. we have the  time warner EXTREME INTERNET HOME WIF ULTIMATE 200. All i want to know is do i switch out the modem for my own modem and router, buy a powerline/wifi extender. i dont know what to do cause the connectio drops and i keep checking my own stuff thinking maybe its me. what can i do to improve my connection? cant go  wired completely because i cant drill holles in the house. 

4 REPLIES 4
Expert

Re: Improving my network

use a pair of IP over powerline adapters or get a real hi powered wireless router with external antenna's.

Observer

thank you very much!

Expert

This is not a network issue, it's junk hardware that will only cover a limited area. There are no improvements...

There are no good hi power all in one advanced gateways and if you're in dense housing, Wireless/ wifi is useless anyway.

You need a plain modem, but you can put the TWC device in bridged mode, turn off the wireless and use your own router, get one with visible antenna's, get it up and away from other devices.

Sharer

Ditch the rental modem; it's inferior equipment at a higher cost.  Buy a good modem and a separate router.

Two-story house...built what year or what type of construction?  If it's stick-built, you should have no problem with a decent WiFi router (my last house was 3 stories and WiFi worked fine everywhere).  My current house is a ranch but older and brick and WiFi doesn't work outside mostly.

Router placement matters also; google it.

Of course, if you're "right next to" it and you're having problems, then something isn't configured properly (check and recheck everything on each device but it sounds like you probably did all that), then they hardware is either faulty or just junk.  Even a junk router should work in the same room, however.