Observer

How do I use a powerline adapter to extend wifi signal?

Hello people, my issue is pretty simple:

*twc router in master bedroom in one side of the house = weak wifi signal at the other side of the house [bed4].

I want: use a powerline adapter to transmit wifi in bed4

My current set up is as follows:

-twc router in master bedroom, 2 wired connections (independent cat6 ethernet cables): roku and Zyxel powerline adapter 600Mbps PLA5205

-Zyxel powerline adapter in family room to tv (wired, cat6)

-Zyxel powerline adapter in bed4 to PC (wired, cat6)

We have about 10 devices, laptop and cellphones, that connect to the wifi. Not all of them at the same time.

So I want to use another powerline adapter to get the internet signal and transmit it as wifi in bed4 (a powerline adapter is being used by pc)

I really don't want to get a wifi extender to get wifi signal from twc router and retransmit it.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Spectrum Employee

Re: How do I use a powerline adapter to extend wifi signal?

My main recommendation would be:

Run a powerline adapter to the location you wish to reach with wifi then hook a wifi extender to the powerline adapter.  This would allow for the effect of a hardwired connection between the original gateway and the extender  then just hardwire the pc to the extender. 

Please be aware although I am a Spectrum/TWC Employee, My posts are my own perspectives and understandings. Not Official Statements of my employer.
Expert

BEWARE! powerline adapters have been found to interfere with modems  coaxial signal causing error rate issues as well as reduce wireless range.

I'd run cat5e cable and eliminate the grief

Or get a real router that covers the house.

something with visible antennas not the internal ones and locate it in the center of the house

Expert

@JamesJohn wrote:

My main recommendation would be:

. Be sure to place the originating gateway into MOCA if you do so. 

THIS IS NOT A MOCA FUNCTION, THAT WOULD REQUIRE A MOCA DEVICE AT THE OTHER END OF COAXIAL CONNECTION TO THE BEDROOM

Powerline adapters use rf via "carrier current" on the powerline, unlike moca that uses 1200 mHz on the coax and REQUIRES special splitter and filters to isolate it from DVR's and the neighbors...

Spectrum Employee

Edited my reply.
Please be aware although I am a Spectrum/TWC Employee, My posts are my own perspectives and understandings. Not Official Statements of my employer.
Highlighted
Expert

moca adapters essentially replace an ethernet cable between rooms but CANNOT be used if a wholehouse DVR is installed o. They must have proper POE (moca) filters installed to reflect moca back into the house yet keep it out of amplifiers.  That coax doesn't need to be connected to the cable splitter.

Other than a decent wireless access point like a ruckus, perhaps a wireless repeater would work, the better ones are dual band and translate from 2.4 to 5.8 gHz and at full speed.

the in band repeaters cut speeds in half

Observer

I ordered a tp-link wireless n300 2t2r to use as an access point. It will be hardwired to a separate powerline adapter either inside b4 or outside b4.
I want to keep my pc hardwired to its own powerline adapter. Thanks
Expert

Powerline adapters are known to interfere with both wireless and modem coaxial connections.

You also can't use 2 pairs of them as they're on the same frequencies. You may be able to use a master one at the router and several slave ones.

They also comprimise security as your neighbors on the same transformer often have access.