Not applicable

Home internet setup not working

I recently switche d to TWC and they installed the DVW32CB for TV,Internet,phone.  I found my home network through in wall jacks no longer works.  I have a cable running to the wall jack from the ubee, that in turn runs to the main panel in my house where I have a 16 port switch in place.  In addtion, I had a NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 as a wifi extender and additional ports in my downstairs bedroom (Verizon Fios did not get the full house very well)

Also, non of my wall jacks work at this point.  Only the ones I have directly plugged into the modem.   I attempted to power cycle, but that did  not seem to work, though I am not sure about a backup battery for the ubee.   Any suggestions to get the network back up and functioning, I am not that fluent in tech speech.

9 REPLIES 9
Expert

Re: Home internet setup not working

you need to rmove the verizon modem for a start.

do you get port connected yel/green lights on your devices?

and on the modem when it's plugged into the switch rj 45 connectors?

Not applicable

I no longer have the Verizon modem, it was replaced with the Ubee.   That was the only change to the setup.  Right now I have the switch unplugged due to the fact that it causes an unknown network error and kicks me off internet on the computers that are plugged in.  At this point, I work from home, so i cannot be without internet until after hours.  Also, the modem is not plugged directly into the switch.  The modem is plugged into the wall jack that runs down to the switch in the main house panel, where everything else but the two computers in my office are connected.  

Expert

You need to verify that the cable is cat5 e and that all 8 wires are connected in the "B" configuration at both ends

Is the switch cable of 1000base? It is a dumb switch and not a smart or intelligent one, correct?

Not applicable

All cables are Cat5 or Cat6.  Sorry but I am not familiar with "B" config.   The Switch is a TP-L:ink Gigabit smart switch- TL-SG2216

Lead Moderator

@cfeno first thing I would have you check is if the modem is providing internal network IPs or is it providing a public IP. If you connect a single computer to the modem and check the IP what are you seeing? If you are not getting a 192.xxx.xxx.xxx address you will either want to contact us to have the internal router turned on or you will want to put a router between the modem and your switch. 

Regards,
Julia R.
^TWC-Social Media Customer Care
Moderator-Community Forums

Not applicable

I am getting a 192 addy.  At this point I have the switch up by the ubee.  I attempted to plug th ubee directly into the switch and then to my laptop and had no internet connection.  Whey I disconected the switch and had the laptop plugged directly into the ubee, internet back on.  Tried to plug back into the switch, it then said I had internet connection but I was unable to get on.   Can I toss the ubee if I have phone service also( though I do not use it).  I tried resetting both the switch and the ubee...no luck

Proven Sharer

You should have two separate modems, one provided by TWC just for EMTA telephone and a second (which can be TWC or customer-owned) just for internet service.  They are separate independent modems with different IP addresses.  Plug the modem-router into the internet modem and the switch into one of the (usually four) router ports. 

Not applicable

I have the all in one voice/modem//router that TWC installed.
Expert

there are 2 ways of wiring rj 45's for ethernet.. 568A and 568B, I've heard Uverse was wiring some stuff 568A and also pulling off a pair for phone connections, I've also seen them shove a 6 pin plug into an 8 pin wall jack.

Can you take a couple pictures of the Switch and junction thing in the basement's wiring? Is there a patch bay?

Does the phone work thru jacks properly?

Is only the data bad?