Observer

Help setting up a MoCA network

Hey guys,

Recently built a home theater in part of my unfinished basement. Turns out I forgot to run an Ethernet cable to my media cabinet and I’m kind of at the point of no return on that oversight....

However, I do have a coax line there for my cable box. I would prefer my AV reciever and Apple TV be hard wired internet instead of WiFi as the router and modem are rather far away. Moving the modem/router is also not an option as it’s currently in a specific place so that other things can be hardwired as well.

I’d like to utilize the coax already in the wall via MoCA adaptors but I’m reading spectrum disables that ability in the modem. Is there away to get around this?

I read somewhere else it’s possible with a filter at the POE but I don’t understand what any of this means?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

P.S. Do not want to use a powerline network adapter as they didn’t work for crap in a buddy’s house.
9 REPLIES 9
Helper

Re: Help setting up a MoCA network

To set up your MoCA network you would need a POE (point of entry) filter and 2 MoCA adapters. I have linked to a couple of examples below but they all work about the same.

When I had a MoCA network the POE filter was installed inline right where the coax entered the house and right before the modem.  Install the first MoCA adapter near the router. Connect it to the coax that runs to your media room. In the media room, install the 2nd MoCA adapter. From there, you can connect your devices, using a switch if you need multiple ethernet connections.

Connections:

Main incoming coax---> POE filter---> splitter---> Leg 1 and Leg 2:

• Leg 1---> modem---> ethernet to router ---> ethernet to 1st MoCA adapter
  • Leg 2---> 1st MoCA adapter
  • Media room incoming coax---> 2nd MoCA adapter ---> ethernet to device or switch for multiple devices

POE Filter:

https://www.amazon.com/Filter-MoCA-Cable-Coaxial-Networking/dp/B00DC8IEE6/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&i...

MoCA adapters:

https://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Adapter-Ethernet-2-Pack-MM1002/dp/B078HMDDVS/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronic...

Highlighted
Proven Sharer

P.S. Do not want to use a powerline network adapter as they didn’t work for crap in a buddy’s house.

I have had great success with Powerline adapters, and the ones I use are five years old.  Their performance is dependent on which circuits they are "plugged" into.  Same circuit?  Great performance.  Same phase?  Good performance.  Opposite phase?  Mediocre performance.

I get north of 50 Mbps between two powerline adapters that are on opposite phases two floors apart in my home.  YMMV.

Good luck.

Observer

Thank you very much for the detailed response. While things make way more sense now, Im still slightly confused where to place the equipment. Is there anyway I could email you a picture of my current wireint setup and you could point out where to put each piece?

I would just post the picture I drew but I can’t seem to find a way to post pics...

Edit: maybe this worked;

https://ibb.co/s3kBWWh
Helper

That's a lot of splitters...especially the path to the modem. Do you ever have internet slowdowns or drops? Maybe your signal levels are strong enough so it's not an issue, but generally you'd want the modem to be off the first split. 

Having said that, in your current setup:

• Put the POE filter somewhere inbetween the outside pole and the first splitter.
  • Put the 1st MoCA adapter after the router via ethernet, then coax into a nearby coax wall jack. You will need another splitter to connect the cable box and the MoCA adapter.
  • Put the 2nd MoCA adapter in the media room connected to the incoming coax leg, then ethernet to your devices. If the MoCA adapter only has one ethernet out then you can use a switch. You will need to split the incoming coax againto connect the cable box and the adapter.

Having said all of this...I tend to agree that powerline adapters are more cost effective and way less complicated. 

Observer

So far so good on the signal. Been in the house for about 5 years without issue. Although maybe for all I know the internet could be so much faster? In any event I’ve never had any gripes so maybe what I don’t know doesn’t hurt me lol

Now onto placement. I feel like such an idiot. I completely understand where to put the filter. But the adaptors are what’s throwing me off....

Coax goes into the modem and then one Ethernet cable comes out and goes to my WiFi router. Are you saying plug the first MoCA adaptor into one of the WiFi routers outputs via Ethernet cord? If so I don’t have any other coax to plug into. The only coax I have is what’s listed in the diagram

P.S. I’d consider the powerline option but the 2 plugs I would have to utilize are on the opposite phase in the square D box which I’ve read pretty much makes them useless?
Helper

I sent you a DM but essentially you'd probably need to replace that upper splitter with a 3 way splitter to connect the modem, cable box, and moca adapter. Ideally the modem shouldn't be behind that many splits but if signal is strong then there's nothing wrong with it. Put the modem on the output with the least amount of signal loss. Then the lower splitter feed to the media room would need another splitter, one leg to the cable box and one to the moca adapter. 

Some moca adapters have multiple ethernet outputs and some only have one. If yours only has one, then just connect to a switch then connect your devices to the switch.

Proven Sharer

@Iceman22 wrote:

P.S. I’d consider the powerline option but the 2 plugs I would have to utilize are on the opposite phase in the square D box which I’ve read pretty much makes them useless?

It should be very easy to swap two adjacent breakers in the panel to put those receptacles on the same phase..

Newcomer

A few MoCA Adapters have two (2) coax connectors:

• One (1)  for MoCA Transmit/ Receive.
  • One (1) for Cable Box  (Coax Pass-through).

There is not need for a splitter with MoCA Adapter, just only for the incoming cable service line along with POE MoCA Filter.

Unless connecting both Cable Modem and Cable Box in same room, in which case a splitter is needed  (must be rated 5-1675MHz to work).

Hope it works with fit.

Browser

+I for use of Powerline ethernet adapters.  Just bought Tivo Mini Vox to replace first generation Tivo Mini that had died.  Works fine with Powerline adapter.  I tried just for giggles hooking up wireless ethernet adapter and almost worked but too much stuttering.