Observer

Have Cable TV connected to wall outlet. Will need to connect Modem for Internet.

Hi.

I have Spectrum Cable TV box connected to my apt wall outlet using a coax cable.

Will be recieving Internet service from Spectrum in about a month.

Will rent TWC Modem and buy AsusRt-Ac66u_B1 router for a self-install Internet & wifi.

From reading the Forum, It appears I will need a Splitter to connect both TV box(receiver) and Modem.

On Spectrum tech support page they write: “A splitter weakens the signal level. This can cause intermittent loss of service or, in rare cases, complete service failure.

We recommend connecting your modem or Spectrum Receiver directly to a wall outlet rather than using a splitter. “

3 Questions:

Does Spectrum self-installation kit provide the coax spltter & coax cables for their Modem setup?

If Spectrum suggest not using a splitter (stated above) what other alternatives do I have for setup?

How are other members signal connecting the splitter with Cable TV and Modem?

Thanks.

12 REPLIES
Browser

Re: Have Cable TV connected to wall outlet. Will need to connect Modem for Internet.

First don’t know if the install kit gives cables and a splitter would guess not especially a splitter. 

Second I believe Spectrum is worried about excessive use of splitters and/or open splitters.  When Spectrum supplies cable service to a home it comes on one cable.  Thus if you have internet and also a cable box or multiple cable boxes you will need a splitter. The only way to get rid of splitters completely is to have only one device in your residence like you have now.  Spectrum should supply enough power on its cable to run two devices.  Sometimes if you have internet and multiple devices you might need an amp but for two devices that should not be needed. 

Now here comes the monkey wrench. You say you are in an apartment. That gives you little control of how the cable gets from the street to your apt. Generally best practice says you should split the cable as close to where it enters and allows access and put the cable modem there and run Ethernet to your router and from there to your devices either by WiFi or hard wired. This isn’t always possible in an apt. This is why it might have been better not to do a self install.  If Spectrum comes out they would check levels and make sure everything works before they leave. 

For your install you will probably just have to split the cable where it enters your apt and run one leg to the modem and the other to your cable box and hope you get good levels. If not Spectrum will probably have to come out anyway. 

Good luck!

Proven Sharer

Re: Have Cable TV connected to wall outlet. Will need to connect Modem for Internet.

1.  If the wall outlet is your only active, connected cable outlet for your apartment, then attaching a single two-way splitter should not impact signal levels for your cable / TV service.  You will need to make sure the splitter is rated for the bandwidth of the system - get a 2 GHz splitter if yout have the choice.  Under no circumstances should you use an old one that you found in a drawer that is rated for 500 MHz.  I would think the self-install kit would come with the required equipment.  By the way, any installer would require the use of a splitter for additional outlets in the home.  How many outlets are in your apartment?  How many outlets do you currently have (or are planning to have)?

2.  There should be no reason to "rent" a modem from Spectrum.  Modems are included in the price for monthly internet, except for those (like those in NY State) who are on ELP Internet.  If you are paying to rent a modem and are on Spectrum pricing, something is wrong.

3.  Good on ya for buying your own router, as whis will eliminate the $5 per month "home Wi-Fi fee".

Helper

Self install kits come with a splitter. You will must use a splitter to connect both a set top box and a modem...there's no other way...and hope that the incoming signal levels are good enough to sustain the split.

Observer

@LGT

If Spectrum will do full installation, then I must rent their Router at $5.00 monthly fee.

From  other members response, full installation (from Spectrum) is not possible using my own router. To your other statement, If I have the Modem, Router & TV box physically within 2-3ft from the Cable outlet & splitter, would that work? My PC will be no more than 6ft away.

@dstoffa.

I have 4 electrical outlets. Two are not being used. 1 Cable outlet. Also have a Phone Jack when I had a Land Phone. Bad choice of words on my part, using “Rent Modem” I don't have a modem. I just assume it will be part of the paid subscription package but not documented on the customer's invoice.

@reds91185

Thanks for the conformation.

Helper

@tomx2 wrote:

If Spectrum will do full installation, then I must rent their Router at $5.00 monthly fee.

From  other members response, full installation (from Spectrum) is not possible using my own router.

Incorrect. The tech can do an in-home install with you not using the leased router. The tech will simply ensure the connection is all good to the modem with a computer direct wired to the modem. You can then connect your own router and set up your network as you desire. Just make sure you aren't billed for wifi (which I don't think there is one if you are on Ultra or Gig).

Browser

@tomx2 wrote:

@LGT

From  other members response, full installation (from Spectrum) is not possible using my own router. To your other statement, If I have the Modem, Router & TV box physically within 2-3ft from the Cable outlet & splitter, would that work? My PC will be no more than 6ft away.

If  Someone from Spectrum is telling you that you need to challenge them about it. You can just get a modem from them if that is what you want.  Spectrum support can be misinformed (to give them the benefit of the doubt) about the rules. This is peer to peer support here and some members take what Spectrum says at face value. It is a company trying to make money after all.  

To to the other point, that should work fine. 

Highlighted
Proven Sharer

I believe you'll find that Spectrum will only charge you the $5 monthly fee if you use the WiFi within their box.  If you have Spectrum configure their unit as a modem in bridged mode, you can then provide your own router and manage your home LAN as you see fit.  You can verify this information at your local Spectrum store or by asking any of the forum moderators.

Lead Moderator

@karlbeckman  you are absolutely correct. If you do not wish to subscribe to our wireless there is no fee. If you opt out of using our wireless please speak with our sales/billing department to make sure the code is correct in the system. 

Some levels of service have the wireless included with no additional charge. You do still have the option to have the modem in bridged mode and use your own router. You would not be obligated to use ours even if it is included at no cost. 

Regards,

Julia R.

Spectrum-Social Media Customer Care

Lead Moderator-Community Forums

Observer

@Julia_R

Hi.

Just to put a bow around this. Here is what I gather.

Basic Requirements:

I will buy my own router.

Will use Spectrum free Modem.

Require Internet connection turned on from Spectrum.

Need Tech-Support assistance from Spectrum.

To Do:

Go to my local Spectrum Store, subscribe to a internet plan only.

Inform Sales dept I will use my own Router & to install the Modem (in Bridge Mode) at my apartment.

This will opt out of using Spectrum wireless service.

Make sure the code will be correct in the system??? (Need more clarification).

Installation:

Spectrum Tech-Support will arrive at my apartment:

- Do an in-home install. Put Modem in bridge mode. Turn on connection. Verify I can surf Internet.

- Give customer the Router Self-Install kit.

- Spectrum support (I assume is completed) will leave.

The customer (me) will self-install the Router. Configure my wifi network.

Cost:

One-Time Professional (Modem) Installation fee + Monthly charge for internet subscription incl taxes.

No wifi activation fee should be included in bill.

(Q).

Julia SaidYou do still have the option to have the modem in bridged mode and use your own router. You would not be obligated to use ours even if it is included at no cost".

Are you stating I can request a 2 piece spectrum Modem + Router or 1 piece Combo(Gateway) at no extra cost? If the above statement is true, the extra cost ($5.00) comes in only when Spectrum  setup & installs your wifi.

Thanks.

TC.