Highlighted
Observer

Getting Internet (First Time) some (Q's).

Hi. 

I am planning to order Internet service cable from Spectrum next month.

Never used an ISP. Normally use free internet from StarBucks or local Library.

Start off with the 200 Mbps plan. Will buy AsusRt-Ac66u_B1 router and use Spectrum Modem for connection.

ENVIRONMENT:

Currently have 1 room on 4th of 20 floors in NYC. Apartment is very small. Very crowed/congested area.. Many wifi signals outside of building. Will have only 1 connection (Dell XPS 13 4gb Ram, 256 SSD) laptop. No printer.

INTERNET USE:

Heavy TV/Video streaming on a HDTV using a new Nvidia Shield Android box. Prefer no buffering.

Surfing, moderate downloading, some video streaming and application development on PC.

(Q):

Will Spectrum send out tech support to my apartment for installation? Extra charge?

Considering my environment, do you suggest I use Wireless or Ethernet connection?

Any suggestion for maintaining a strong internet  signal. i.e. hardware (different router), increase Mbps etc?

Thanks.

TC.

1 REPLY
Helper

Re: Getting Internet (First Time) some (Q's).

@tomx2 wrote:

(Q):

Will Spectrum send out tech support to my apartment for installation? Extra charge?

Considering my environment, do you suggest I use Wireless or Ethernet connection?

Any suggestion for maintaining a strong internet  signal. i.e. hardware (different router), increase Mbps etc?

Thanks.

TC. 

Not sure about install fees...it's been too long since I had to deal with that.

Wired is always preferred to wireless if the situation allows.  If using wifi, use the 5 GHz band for fixed devices (desktops, game consoles, smart tv) if they are within line-of-sight of the router. Use 2.4 GHz or mobile devices or devices farther away or in other rooms. 

Increased Mbps will do nothing to help maintain a strong signal. A bad signal will cripple your connection whatever speed tier you have.

That Asus router should do you just fine.