Participant

Do I need to tell Spectrum I have a new router?

Bought a new router. I own my own separate cable modem.

Do I need to tell Spectrum that I am switching out my old router for the new (different brand) router?

I plan to use the same SSID and password as the old router, and all my current devices should just connect with no problems, I think.

 

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Proven Sharer

Re: Do I need to tell Spectrum I have a new router?


@Natey2 wrote:

Bought a new router. I own my own separate cable modem.

Do I need to tell Spectrum that I am switching out my old router for the new (different brand) router?

I plan to use the same SSID and password as the old router, and all my current devices should just connect with no problems, I think.

 


No.

 

Disconnect the old.  Power down your modem.  Connect the new.  Bring the modem back up and power up your new router, and set it up.  Don't forget to adjust the default settings.

Proven Sharer

Re: Do I need to tell Spectrum I have a new router?


@dstoffa wrote:

@Natey2 wrote:

Bought a new router. I own my own separate cable modem.

Do I need to tell Spectrum that I am switching out my old router for the new (different brand) router?

I plan to use the same SSID and password as the old router, and all my current devices should just connect with no problems, I think.

 


No.

 

Disconnect the old.  Power down your modem.  Connect the new.  Bring the modem back up and power up your new router, and set it up.  Don't forget to adjust the default settings.


To answer your question directly, NO, you only have to tell the cable company when you change the modem itself.  Then they will need to know the make and model, and the MAC address so they can correctly provision it for the speed package you are paying for and expect to receive. 

 
It's wise to pick a modem model that appears on the Spectrum approved list for your speed tier.  Some modems are improperly advertised by sellers as capable of much higher speed tiers than Spectrum supports on their network.

Participant

Re: Do I need to tell Spectrum I have a new router?


It's wise to pick a modem model that appears on the Spectrum approved list for your speed tier.  Some modems are improperly advertised by sellers as capable of much higher speed tiers than Spectrum supports on their network.

My cable modem: http://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/Home-Networking/Owned-modem-and-router/m-p/134830#M3902

 

Spectrum hasn't updated my modem's firmware yet (they had sent out a notice that they would), so it introducing a new router right now may obscure any performance improvement resuting from the modem firmware update?

 

I wish Spectrum would post a "What's new in this firmware update" notice to indicate what exactly changed for my modem's firmware: bug fixes, enhancements, new features, etc.

Most self-respecting software companies do that when they release new versions.

Expert

e modem is none of their business.Re: Do I need to tell Spectrum I have a new router?

Nope, whatever router you have behind a cable modem is none of their business

 

Valued Contributor

Re: Do I need to tell Spectrum I have a new router?

if you want to keep your old public ip, you should note the mac of the previously connected to your modem device, and spoof it on your new router's wan port.  otherwise charter's dhcp will assign a new public ip to any new mac address device you plug into your modem.  that's not neccesarily a bad thing - just thought you'd like to know.

Participant

Re: Do I need to tell Spectrum I have a new router?


@consorts wrote:

if you want to keep your old public ip, you should note the mac of the previously connected to your modem device, and spoof it on your new router's wan port.  otherwise charter's dhcp will assign a new public ip to any new mac address device you plug into your modem.  that's not neccesarily a bad thing - just thought you'd like to know.


That's a good tip.

I didn't do that and I got a new external IP address, which is fine.

I had to set that new IP address up in OpenDNS so the stats are available there (I don't use TWC/Spectrum's DNS servers).

 

The last time I spoke to TWC's 2nd level Tech Support, they could tell who the manufacturer was of the devices behind my personal cable modem (e.g. from the PC motherboard/network card MAC address, router MAC address, etc)

Moot point, but If I had spoofed the MAC address on the new router, they'd still think it was the old router manufacturer.