Observer

DWG875A networking

i just bought a netgear r6700v2 and i want to make sure i'm using the DWG875A correctly. i do not have home wifi activated on my account and i turned the wifi itself off in the modem should i brdge it or what. i have the netgear's wan plugged into #1 lan on the DWG875A. if i'm doing something wrong please help. thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES 7
Helper

Re: DWG875A networking

@hearts24 wrote:

i just bought a netgear r6700v2 and i want to make sure i'm using the DWG875A correctly. i do not have home wifi activated on my account and i turned the wifi itself off in the modem should i brdge it or what. i have the netgear's wan plugged into 31 lan on the DWG875A. if i'm doing something wrong plaese help. thanks in advance.

Modem LAN to router WAN....and yes, the modem should be put in bridge mode.

Observer

yes lan to wan sorry.

Highlighted
Observer

@reds91185 wrote:

@hearts24 wrote:

i just bought a netgear r6700v2 and i want to make sure i'm using the DWG875A correctly. i do not have home wifi activated on my account and i turned the wifi itself off in the modem should i brdge it or what. i have the netgear's wan plugged into 31 lan on the DWG875A. if i'm doing something wrong plaese help. thanks in advance.

Observer

@reds91185 wrote:

@hearts24 wrote:

sorry was trying to post a screen shot of the bridge mode page on the

DWG875A. so it has disable/enable bridge mode then has places to enter mac addresses. should i enter the mac address for the r6700v2 in there?

Helper

@hearts24 wrote:

@reds91185 wrote:

@hearts24 wrote:

DWG875A. so it has disable/enable bridge mode then has places to enter mac addresses. should i enter the mac address for the r6700v2 in there?

You are in the menu page for wireless bridging or WDS which creates a wireless repeater network...leave that disabled and leave the rest blank. 

If your new router doesn't work with the wifi turned off on the old modem you may have to call in and have tech support put the modem in bridge mode so your router can do all the work.

Observer

@reds91185 wrote:

@hearts24 wrote:

@reds91185 wrote:

@hearts24 wrote:

You are in the menu page for wireless bridging or WDS which creates a wireless repeater network...leave that disabled and leave the rest blank. 

If your new router doesn't work with the wifi turned off on the old modem you may have to call in and have tech support put the modem in bridge mode so your router can do all the work.

no it works i just wanted to make sure that all i did was all that i had to do or if i needed to do more to ensure proper networking. i don't like these modem/router combination gateways. 

Spectrum Employee

Hi Hearts24, The DWG875A Technicolor 8x4 modem cannot properly bridge to another device without some difficulty and even then the modem connection is ultimately unstable. I would suggest trading it in and getting an SB6183 Arris modem or a DDM352 Ubee modem for your services instead. If you have phone, you can also request an Arris TM1602 or TM16@2 model that includes a phone port without needing a second modem.

I post on my off hours, away from work and any statements made are my opinions, and do not necessarily reflect the views and beliefs of Spectrum Communications.