Newcomer

Connecting a TP-Link Archer C7 to a TWC provided Arris TG1672 router/modem combo (for stronger wifi)

I live in  Manhattan and my TWC/Spectrum provided Arris TG1672 router/modem combo doesn't provide enough coverage in my small (800 sqft) but concrete walled apartment.  I'm thinking about turning off the wifi on the TG1672 and adding a TP-Link Archer C7 wi-fi router.  1)  Can I do this?  2) Will this help? 3) How do i do this?  Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
Expert

Re: Connecting a TP-Link Archer C7 to a TWC provided Arris TG1672 router/modem combo (for stronger w

Maybe it will help. Try turning off one band first

But in most cases,  Use ethernet connections, wireless doesn't work in dense housing

Spectrum Employee

Re: Connecting a TP-Link Archer C7 to a TWC provided Arris TG1672 router/modem combo (for stronger w

1.  Yes.

2. Yes.  Don't need two WiFi broadcasts trying to shout over one another, like two auctioneers having a shouting match

3. 192.168.100.1 typed into your URL bar.  This is where you can also see signal power levels. Choose "Wireless" from the bar of links on the top of that page.  Go into 2.4 and 5.0 GHz wifi setting and un-check the "enable" true/false checkbox.  You should see the blue LED lights on the modem turn off with each one.  Don't forget to click "apply" to save the change and make it happen.

Question do you have home phone service?  Is that why you have the TG1672G instead of the SB6138?

My postings on this site are my own, off-the-clock, and don’t necessarily represent TWC’s/Charter's strategies or opinions.