Browser

Re: Chromecast wont work with Askey RAC2V1A router

@Sminc

Same here any combo but phone and chromecast connected to askey will work. So if you have and old crappy router like me. Bridge it and you can connect your chromecast to the askey and your phone to the old router. You just have to restart the chromecast with your phone connected to extender. When both your phone and chromecast are on the askey it wont work.

The chromecast only gets told what to stream, Everything after that is through the chromecast connection. If the chromcast is connected through the askey it will get the bandwidth though that.

Expert

Try this... Set the NAT router for a  dhcp start of 192.168.1.100 and lets say 50 IP's...

Set the chromecast on a static IP of 192.168.1.99 and the extender on a static IP of 192.168.1.98

Shoving statics into  the DHCP range is a mistake and causes unreliable operation.

Also set the DHCP leases both wired and wireless for a day not an hour

Is your phone Apple and are you sure it's wifi is locked to IPv4 only?

Newcomer

I'm also experiencing this issue.

Upgraded to Spectrum's 1gig service a few weeks ago and have had NOTHING but problems.

I was coming from the 300mbps plan. Once they came and "upgraded" me and gave me the Technicolor Modem and Askey Router, my speeds fluctuated from 15mbps to 200mbps. More often the slower side of things. Not only were my speeds slow, but my connection went in and out all day every day. They had 4+ techs come out to "Check the lines". I'm just barely getting a stable connection and speed.

On top of that, my Chromecast does not work with this router, nor can my TV connect to my router. I had to go buy an ethernet cable just to get my TV hooked up.

AP Isolation is OFF

UPnP is ON

I've tried countless things to fix it. Nothing works. I had absolutely 0 issues before. Plus, there's even more people having the exact same issue: https://www.reddit.com/r/Chromecast/comments/7ov0dp/cant_connect_chromecast_on_spectrum_gigabit/

This is completely on Spectrum and this Askey router garbage. I stream everything so this has pretty much made attempting to watch Hulu or Netflix or anything a complete nightmare. A user in the thread above says everything works perfectly fine if he DOESN'T use the Askey router spectrum gave him and uses his own router instead.

Spectrum's living in another world if they think they're going to charge me $125/month for internet, then charge me $200 for "installation", and then require me to buy a $100-$200 router on my own to replace their garbage that doesn't work?

Browser

@dobri002

That was the only solution I was able to come up with. Fortunately for me I had an old wireless n router and the cable connection is behind the tv. So I just briged the old router and hid it behind the tv and no issues since. If the chormecast is the only thing you need it for you can get away with using a bare minimum wireless n or ac router.  Depending how far away it is from your connection. I get about 100Mbps though my old router which is plenty for streaming to one device. As for the speed is that on wireless or wired? I get about 300 on 5g. 90 on 2g. Wired anywhere from 800 to I think the highest Ive seen is 1100+ but that was on new years eve.

Expert

post your signal level pages, lets make sure that's stable first

Proven Sharer

Has anyone checked whether the Chromecast Ultra requires a wider bandwidth channel on 2.4 GHz?  Some newer routers allow 80 MHz ultra-wide, other models will only do 20 [normal] and 40 [wide].  Running in 80 [ultra-wide] mode creates interference with the next two 2.4 GHz channels up and down.  The original Chromecast stick MIGHT not even be compatible with 2.4 ultra-wide at all, just like older smartphones.  That's one big reason we tell folks who will listen that they should ALWAYS set up their high speed streaming devices only on 5 GHz.

Browser

@karlbeckman

Ive changed  every setting in the router I could. No luck. Its not that its not connecting to the network. Even shows connected on tv.  Its that the phone and chromecast cant communicate. 2Ghz 5Ghz no difference. If the phone and chromecast are connected to the askey router it doesnt work. Every other combo of connections where they are on seperate routers. No problems. Im thinking it has to be router related since I had no issues until I got this router and if the phone and chromecast are connected to different routers it works.

Proven Sharer

Sounds like it is time to get back to the basics, in this case IP addresses. 

The first thing to remember is that for two devices to talk to each other, they MUST be on the same subnet.

What are the IP addresses of the two routers? 

Which one is set in bridging mode?

Which one is doing the NAT and DHCP? 

What is the starting DHCP address?  How many devices/IP addresses enabled?

What is the IP address of the smartphone?  The Chromecast box?  And the TV set?

All of these devices should be using static addresses on 5 GHz.

Newcomer