Browser

Chromecast wont work with Askey RAC2V1A router

I upgraded to the 1Gbps service and got this router.  Ive tried all the settings in the router. AP iso off ect. The chromecast will connect and show up in the users but undectecatble on my phone. I can dectect the chromecast with my phone  if I connect  the chromecast to my linksys router that I have as an extender.  It will also work if my chromecast is connected to the Askey router and I reset the chromecast connect my phone to the linksys router. Then repower the chromecast. Detected by phone until I connect phone to the Askey router. The only info I was able to find online was in Spanish and seemed to say that these Askey routers arent compatible with chromecast. Anyone have any information?

28 REPLIES
Expert

Re: Chromecast wont work with Askey RAC2V1A router

First of all, take all the wifi extenders and throw them in the trash or sell them to some other sucker...

Next, return the Askey RAC2V1A and get something by Linksys or netgear that is commercial quality and has visible external antenna's .

turn off IPv6.

Run ethernet to all smart tv's 

Proven Sharer

For the initial Spectrum rollout of Gigabit internet service, Spectrum is only connecting their free combination gateway (modem+router).  The information that forum contributors have been hearing (since we're volunteers, not Spectrum employees) is that there is currently no option for customers to purchase their own equipment used on a Gigabit service connection.  If you insist on using the Askey router you will be pretty much on your own for support.   We think that position may evolve in the future, after Spectrum builds some field experience with Gigabit on coax.

Browser

The Askey router is the one provided.  Spectrum Tech support says it's the Chromecast.  Google says its the router. 

Expert

What modem did they give you?

Browser

Technicolor TC4400

Expert

Do you have a different router to try? It doesn't need to do the gig speed

Browser

Yes.  I have a linksys router connected. That's what i have the chrome cast connected to now and it works that way.  For some reason if both are connected to the spectrum router they can't communicate with each other.  Any combination works as long as my phone and chromecast arent connected to the spectrum router. Phone on linksys, chromecast on spectrum works. Phone on spectrum, chromecast on linksys works. Once my phone and chromecast are on the spectrum router chromecast is no longer discovered by google home or cast apps. 

Expert

lol...   you probably have  both routers set to NAT and  set for the same gateway addys...

One needs to be in bridged mode or just don't use it period. I'd put the askey back in it's box....

or set them up like this: first is 192.168.0.x   and the second is 192.168.2.x that can be problematic if some devices are on the first one and trying to talk to the second ones devices...

Browser

Nope...the second router is bridged. The askey is the TWC provided router. No issues till I got the new router. The problem isnt that the devices on seperate routers cant talk to each other. The issue is that my phone and my chromecast connected to the provided Askey router cant talk to each other when both are connected to the provided askey router. If they are connected to seperate routers they can talk just fine.