Highlighted
Not applicable

Cannot connect HP C4780 printer to Technicolor TC8717T Modem

We recently switched from Frontier to Spectrum  in December 2016, and all computers and phones connected to the new WiFi network without issue.  However, the HP C4780 printer did not connect. I spent a several hours addressing this issue with the TC8717T modem - both with Spectrum Technical support, online forums, HP web sites, etc. without success.

Steps I took:

1 - Ensured the network passwords matched while running through the HP-guided software set up several times.  Result each time:  Unsuccessful connection.

2 - The HP C4780 and other HP Printers do not connect to a 5 GH wireless network, so I turned the 5GH band/network off while trying to connect the HP C4780 equipment to the 2.4 GH band.  Result: Unsuccessful connection.

3 - Temporarily turned off the security password on the 2.4 GH network with Spectrum Technical Support and by myself to connect the printer.  Result:  Unsuccessful connection.

4 - Tried WPS to connect printer to WiFi network.  Result: Unsuccessful connection.

Workaround:

Plugged my previous router into one of the Ethernet connections and re-connected the printer to the previous provider's WiFi network without issue.  Now, when we want to print via wireless, we switch wireless networks before sending the print job.  A workaround that works, but is not optimal.

As a next step, I recommend Spectrum provide very detailed instructions on how wireless HP printers can connect successfully with the Technicolor TC8717T modem.  Several other examples are on the online forum boards with HP equipment and this modem, which indicates the issue is more global than isolated.

I now understand why the set up technician did not address connecting the printer to the network when he was on site.

This has been a very poor new customer and customer service experience.  Unfortunately, I cannot promote or recommend Spectrum to others.

7 REPLIES 7
Expert

Re: Cannot connect HP C4780 printer to Technicolor TC8717T Modem

You should never attempt to use wireless to connect any fixed deviices especially drives and printers.

They must be ethernet connected and use properly assigned IP  static addresses to work reliably.

The HP's have issues and don't play well with other devices wirelessly.Turn off it's supposed WIFI capability. configure it for an ethernet connection.

You need to set the routers DHCP lease for a day and DHCP start for 192.168.0.100 and set the printer at a 192.168.0.99 addy. Set any other devices like network drives below the 192.168.0.99 addy.

Then your devices should be able to find them all the time. You do need to run  the printer setup again.

The cable companies don't support any router configuration Issues and you shouldn't be using one of theirs for any advanced configs, if they reboot the modem, they set the router back to default many times, turning off whatever you changed.

This is why no one recomends all in one modem/router combo's either leased or COAM...

(you can also use 192.168.1.xxx addresses if yours was on them)

Proven Sharer

Most of the HP Envy series Deskjet printers do not have Ethernet, just USB as their wired connection. Makes life more challenging for those of us who volunteer as wizards.
Not applicable

Agreed.  The HP C4780 does not have Ethernet, and connecting the printer has been a challenge. I saw several other similar posts about HP equipment issues.

Expert

No ethernet? well that sucks...

especially with a cable co router...

lock the 2 ghz onto ch 3 or 8  set dhcp lease for a day.

Turn AP isolation off

set the dhcp range to 192.168.0.100 - 150 and in the printer, set it for the 192.168.0.99 IP addy.

Now as for wireless encryption, anyone have a clue what the HP is happy with?

WPS WILL NOT WORK

Proven Sharer

According to HP's web site, WPS is what it needs to connect.   Here's a link:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/HP-Connected-Mobile-Printing-and-Cloud-Printing/wireless-connecting-for...

Expert

per another site it says you must use the HPLIP program and a usb cable to set the wireless id and password. You need an old OS, like XP, or Vista, it's not supported by win 10

but once on line it may work with win 10 and Mac's

Proven Sharer

The setup program should still work with Windows 7, and once configured, a computer running Windows 10 should be ine. However, please check with HP about the ability to have on-line printer management from the Win10 box.