Highlighted
Newcomer

Can I install a Google Onhub, but still use the ethernet ports on my Arris TG1672?

I've been having wifi reliability issues, and problems with strong competing signals in the area and was going to purchase a google Onhub 1900 Wifi Router.  I was going to run an ethernet cable from my Arris to a more central location, put the onhub there, and let it do its thing for the house.  Of course putting my arris in bridge mode and turning off its wifi.  

But the catch is I want to keep using all the other ethernet ports from my arris where I have my home pc and Xbox connected.   Is this possible?    

Been  searching internet and forums but haven't found definitive answer.  

Any tips are appreciated!

5 REPLIES 5
Established Sharer

Re: Can I install a Google Onhub, but still use the ethernet ports on my Arris TG1672?

I can't find a definitive answer, either, but my gut tells me "no".  I'm thinking that the Ethernet ports on the TG1672 are not a switch, but rather the usual NAT ports you find on a typical router, so if you put the TG1672 in bridge mode I would expect that you will only be able to use the first Ethernet port.

If so, then perhaps you want to run 2 Ethernet cables to the central location, one from the TG1672 to the Google Onhub, then the other back from the Onhub to a small Gigabit switch (the 4 or 5 port models are inexpensive) so that you don't have to run additional cables for the devices that are currently connected to the TG1672.

Valued Contributor

Re: Can I install a Google Onhub, but still use the ethernet ports on my Arris TG1672?

You might be better off putting the Google onhub in bridge mode and allow the arris to control everything.
-
I am a Charter employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent Charter’s position, strategies, or opinions.
Spectrum Employee

I would have to agree with ujmnz, the only way to get those other ports on the Arris to work would be NAT mode, and you wouldnt want both the modem and your router to have NAT enabled. So if you setup your router to bridge it would allow all devices hard wired to your modem to work still.

Thank you for participating in the forums. Have a wonderful day!

-Frank G
Forum Moderator
Proven Sharer

IF the Google OnHub works like its AC1900 cousins from T-Mobile with carrier-supplied custom firmware, the device will prioritize WiFi and wired access to favor Google connections and delay connections to other (competing) sites and gaming servers, making some of them less than useable.  We don't have definitive proof of this yet, but it certainly sounds suspicious when multiple cellphone companies are offering routers with special firmware to prioritize WiFi-based calling from phones subscribed to that carrier's network. 

Expert

Yes you can.

Turn off both the arris's wireless radios. Leave NAT on

Set the new wireless box as a BRIDGED access point, no routing ( it's ethernet ports might be useable if in bridged mode they work like an ethernet switch.

All the routing will be handled by the ARRIS.