Highlighted
Newcomer

Are there any modems I can buy that are compatible with TWC?

So basically I am an old TWC Legacy Customer who has not switched over to Spectrum. I guess I was grandfathered in. Now I don't know a lot about this, so PLEASE correct me if I am wrong. Spectrum has been slowly increasing my cost for internet speed. On top of that, last year I was not charged for my modem at all and was only paying an internet fee. Now they are charging me a rental fee for my modem each month.  Is there a way that I can purchase a TWC compatible modem w/o being pushed on to spectrum's plan. I feel like they are slowly increasing my internet price so I eventually just switch over to being a Spectrum Customer. I don't want to do anything that will cause me to lose those TWC codes and be pushed into Spectrum.  Thanks,

5 REPLIES 5
Helper

Re: Are there any modems I can buy that are compatible with TWC?

https://www.spectrum.net/support/internet/compliant-modems-charter-network/ 

Any of the modems listed here are authorized for the various speed tiers offered and are fully supported...and yes, you can stay on your TWC plan if you want and use your own modem to avoid the modem rental fee.  Non-equipment changes such as wanting to up your speed tier would prompt a switch to a Spectrum plan.

Newcomer

Wow! I didn't know that. Spectrum was basically saying if I got another modem then I would lose the codes and be put on a Spectrum Plan. So when I get the modem, can I just install it or will I need to call them? I just want to make sure that I am not going to cause any problems.Also for Legacy TWC Customers is it typical for Spectrum to increase the price? I thought we were grandfathered in. I am completely new to this.
Community Manager

@cpatters003 , 

Hi and welcome to the Forums.  Just to clarify, there are Legacy TWC plans that included a modem fee.  You can use your own modem or you can use a Spectrum modem for no fee.  However, the Legacy TWC billing codes cannot be put on a new modem (even one you provide), and any equipment changes will require a change to a Spectrum Pricing Plan before the new equipment can be provisioned to work on your account.  To see what options are available to you, you can call in to a sales representative or visit a local store.  Most customers on the Forums have indicated that they prefer to visit a local store.   

Newcomer

That makes sense. However I am a bit confused. Last year, I did not have ANY modem fees at all on my plan, but now I have them all  of a sudden. They said it was due to TWC offering promotional pricing that waived the fee, but I cannot ever remember TWC doing something like which is why I don't understand  why leasing fee was added on to my current plan. 

Helper

Thanks for the correction @James_M .