Not applicable

Airplay Speakers Disappear with new Ubee Modem/Router (please help)

Hi,

So, for the last 5 to 7 years I have had multiple Airplay speakers around my house. i was always able to select/deselect any of them at any time (using remote app or via itunes). But for the last two months since I have been forced to used the Ubee (DVW32cb) modem/router the speakers drop off all the time. i have to reset the router a couple times a day to have them show up. A speaker/airplay can be working but as soon as I deselect it it's gone, and I have to reset the router to get it back. 

Running OSX Yosemite

iTunes 12.5

Devices are;

Apple TV (v2)

Onkyo Airplay speaker

Airport Express

Yamaha Receiver

All worked fine with my old **bleep**ty verizon router.

Please help, this is what we use 90% of the time. All other devices have no issues (iPad, iPhones, Macbook Pro and iMac). And it's definitely the router/network since I can't see the speakers after they disappear from an iDevice (which is independant of iTunes).

My last resort is to buy another router and bridge the Ubee.

Thanks

Everyone's Tags (4)
4 REPLIES 4
Expert

Re: Airplay Speakers Disappear with new Ubee Modem/Router (please help)

Why are you using a modem router combo feeding a 2nd router (the airport)?

You need to put the ubee into bridged mode, turn off it's wireless, set the airport to autodetect wan settings and connect all wired devices to it, not the Ubee.

You also need to see what your public IP is and verify I tunes has it right in the ap.

DHCP lease in the airport needs to be set for a day, not an hour, You may also have a DHCP issue and need to set the dhcp start for 192.168.0.100 and set the speakers on static IP'sat 192.168.0.99 on down, don't use anything in the 192.168.0.2 to 0.11 range

Helper

I have a similar setup except using a Time Capsule as the main router with an Express used as an network extender.  @MsRaye is correct that you really need to set the Ubee to bridge mode and let the Express do all the work.  It's a better wireless router than the Ubee anyhow. 

Not applicable

A new and different router in bridge mode is plan B. Right now the only router/network is the Ubee. I use the Airport Express for nothing more than feeding music to an aux input, not as a router or repeater.

i am hoping that someone can suggest very specific settings to have ALL of my Airplay devices not constantly drop. i realize these all-in-one boxes are mostly cheap crap but so was my previous FiOS box and that never dropped. 

Proven Sharer

@DorronM wrote:

A new and different router in bridge mode is plan B. Right now the only router/network is the Ubee. I use the Airport Express for nothing more than feeding music to an aux input, not as a router or repeater.

i am hoping that someone can suggest very specific settings to have ALL of my Airplay devices not constantly drop. i realize these all-in-one boxes are mostly cheap crap but so was my previous FiOS box and that never dropped. 

You also have the option to replace the Ubee modem  and save yourself the $8 monthly charge.  Then buy the modem you previously used when connected to Verizon FIOS, put it in bridged mode, and connect your side as it was before.