Highlighted
Newcomer

ARRIS SB6190/Airport Extreme: slow wireless speeds

I just purchased (on Amazon), and activated an Arris SURFboard modem (model SB6190...on your approved list for my current 300Mbps plan), and fortunately just confirmed that the most recent firmware version 9.1.93K is being used! ....However, I have a slower wi-fi connection now than I did with the previous modem (that I was renting/paying for).

I am also using the latest (brand new) Apple Airport Extreme (6th Gen/Model 1521 running ver 7.7.3) and adjusted some of the wi-fi channels as well, to speed it up (disabled "auto" channel). I am still getting dismally slow wi-fi speeds of 70-100 Mbps (and still paying for 300Mbps). In all fairness I connected via ethernet to the SB6190 & did get blazing fast 300+Mbps, but who connects hardwire....it's 2016?!

Blazing fast Wi-fi is what we all want to improve on these forums...Sadly, I'm still stuck clocking out while simultaneously streaming AppleTV while one of my kids is bogging out the connection with his XBox upstairs... Smiley Happy

Any ideas out there?

Thanks in advance...

A

9 REPLIES 9
Expert

Re: ARRIS SB6190/Airport Extreme: slow wireless speeds

Sorry, wireless is slower, use an ethernet cable for stable speeds, 2016 or not...

Too much crap on the same few channels

Helper

Never had the apple device does it have N only settings?(if all of your devices are N)?
Rookie

Re: ARRIS SB6190/Airport Extreme: slow wireless speeds (Update)

Re: New Arris SB6190 cable modem and Apple Airport Expreme Gen 6.

(I wrote the below post (APIPA169) and for some reason had to get a new account name)...

Update as of 5/23/2016

I am now receiving much better and faster service! Just wanted to let you guys know. I'm on the 300Mbps plan.

It can be done (and this is even after trying to change the channels (for both 2.4 and 5Ghz). I ended up leaving my Apple Airport Extreme set to "Auto" channel select, and am still getting much improved Wi-fi download speeds....300Ms+...Finally, I am getting what I am paying $100/mo for!

In fairness, this speed test was just taken (on a Monday @ ~1:15p CST), so I'll update this with a screenshot on a Friday evening when it normally bogs down...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2o2q1jcnfl5dv1w/Screenshot%202016-05-23%2013.08.39.png?dl=0

Rookie

Love my Apple devices...super easy to configure (even right from my iPad or iPhone)...I have had them for over 10 years. I have a new Airport Extreme (G6) upstairs and 2 Apple Airport Express' downstairs (each about 5 years old) for extra boost. All devices are 802.11n or 802.11ac and run great!

To answer your question I am not 100% certain if it can be set it to "n" only. I believe it is possible according to this article:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2709767?tstart=0

Rookie

Apparently not anymore...all good and fast...wirelessly now.
Expert

use a cat 6 cable... There are a lot of china counterfeit cat5e's they are a black jacket molded over cat 3 and die around 100 megs.

Wireless slows all devices to the slowest one.

It's why you need to use ethernet wherever possible.

Newcomer

Hello!!!

What did you do to get the final result? I'm thinking about the AirPort Extreme and the Arris SB6190

Thanks

Not applicable

...For me, I was noticing terrible wireless speeds through my current Airport Extreme. I managed to get into the control panel of my modem (which is locked by TWC/Spectrum), and saw that the internal wireless network was on. So I ended up calling the support line, and having them turn it off. Now everything worked properly.

If you use an external wireless router, like an Airport - you will get interference from the wireless in the TWC modem (i did anyway). I have no idea why the installation techs don't bring this up during installation. A problem for sure.

Proven Sharer

The residence install techs may not know that it takes separate box control commands to set the combo router to bridging mode, turn on/off 2.4 G radio, and turn on/off the 5 G radio. The folks at TWC who do that work every day for a living have a slight advantage.