Highlighted
Not applicable

5G to 4G

Is there a way to run 4G on my Arris 5G modem?
10 REPLIES 10
Helper

Re: 5G to 4G

No.

4G refers to a cellular network. 5G on a router refers to a wifi band.

Proven Sharer

@reds91185 wrote:

No.

4G refers to a cellular network. 5G on a router refers to a wifi band.

So if you are really asking if your 4G LTE phone can make wireless calls using your 5 Gig WiFi, all phones with WiFi built in the last few years are capable of running on both 2.4 and 5 GHz WiFi bands.  Your service provider may not support WiFi calling in your area, and you may need to change your phone settings or add an app to make it work. 

To compare, Skype uses your phone's 3G or 4G data, not WiFi, to place phone calls to internet addresses.  HTH!

Not applicable

5g TV, 4g phone

I apologize for any confusion but this is a common question. When it comes to home wireless 5G refers to 5 gigahertz which is the frequency that the network is using compared to 2G which is 2.4 gigahertz. With cell phone service the G stands for generation so 4G is the 4th generation of cell phone service in regards to data. 

So there is no way to compare the two types as they are in no way the same. I do hope this helps clear up confusion. 

Tyleen
Spectrum-Social Media Customer Service
Forum Moderator

Not applicable

I didn't know if my phone was compatible. 5g network doesn't show on listing. 2G fine. Mostly want to stream without switching networks.
Helper

@Beakedcelery wrote:
I didn't know if my phone was compatible. 5g network doesn't show on listing. 2G fine. Mostly want to stream without switching networks.

So....what phone do you have?

Are you asking if your cell phone can connect to your 5GHz home wifi network? The answer to that is "It depends on the make and model of the phone."

Not applicable

What? O said the phone doesn't have 5g. A502DL (model)
Helper

@Beakedcelery wrote:
What? O said the phone doesn't have 5g. A502DL (model)

Are you referring to an Alcatel TCL LX phone commonly offered through Tracfone? From what I can tell it does not support the 5 GHz wifi band.

Who is O?

Not applicable

Mis-type