Newcomer

2 Modems on one account

Moved into a new house, I have an office on the upper story where the cable modem is located.  Computers in the office are hardwired to modem.   I have good WiFi coverage on ground floor but poor coverage on the lower level.   If I could get a LAN cable to the lower level or even the ground floor I would just add a wireless router but that will be a painful option.

The "easiest" option for me would be to add another cable modem since I have cable connections on all the levels. 

Question:

1) Can I have more than 1 modem on my accout?

2) if I buy my own cable modem, do I have to pay additionla fees?

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Proven Sharer

Re: 2 Modems on one account

@Donncha151 wrote:

Moved into a new house, I have an office on the upper story where the cable modem is located.  Computers in the office are hardwired to modem.   I have good WiFi coverage on ground floor but poor coverage on the lower level.   If I could get a LAN cable to the lower level or even the ground floor I would just add a wireless router but that will be a painful option.

The "easiest" option for me would be to add another cable modem since I have cable connections on all the levels. 

Question:

1) Can I have more than 1 modem on my accout?

2) if I buy my own cable modem, do I have to pay additionla fees?

You would pay retail rates for the second connection, assuming they let you have it.

Use Powerline Ethernet adapters, and connect your second router, setup as an access point, via the pwerline adapters.  They are cheap, and if you find a good circuit to put them on, you should have no issues.

i use D-Link powerline ethernet adapters, and get between 50-75 Mbps throughput two floors away.  Mine are five years old.  Technology has only gotten better.

This starter set is $35 at amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Powerline-TPL-406E-Adapters-TPL-406E2K/dp/B008F537KC/