Observer

world box???

so my 3600 croaked over the weekend i brought it into the store and they swaped it out with the new crappy world box!!! ever since i got the world box the picture has been breaking up and pixelating bad it's to the point to where it freezes up sometimes all i have to do is pull the guid up and it will start its crap... i call tech support and they say the signal is fine going to the box. well then if that's the case then the box would not be acting up now would it???

7 REPLIES 7
Proven Sharer

Re: world box???

@krel_2018 wrote:

so my 3600 croaked over the weekend i brought it into the store and they swaped it out with the new crappy world box!!! ever since i got the world box the picture has been breaking up and pixelating bad it's to the point to where it freezes up sometimes all i have to do is pull the guid up and it will start its crap... i call tech support and they say the signal is fine going to the box. well then if that's the case then the box would not be acting up now would it???

You did the right thing by complaining immediately. Now it's time for a second trip to the Spectrum store to pick up a working replacemewnt box. Be sure the next box you get has a clock display.

Observer

there gonna come out and install an amp for me tomorrow. this should be interesting since it's the 4th time i had to ask for one and all i have gotten was crazy excuses of why they didn't want to install one like the picture breaking up and pixelizing was how they broadcast from one tech!!! another tech told me if i had an amp installed that my phone and internet would not work LOL. and people wonder why i am furious!!! not matter what box i have it reverts back to the same issues in time.

Trusted Helper

@krel_2018 wrote:

there gonna come out and install an amp for me tomorrow. this should be interesting since it's the 4th time i had to ask for one and all i have gotten was crazy excuses of why they didn't want to install one like the picture breaking up and pixelizing was how they broadcast from one tech!!! another tech told me if i had an amp installed that my phone and internet would not work LOL. and people wonder why i am furious!!! not matter what box i have it reverts back to the same issues in time.

Hello,

The World Boxes according to techs are very sensitive to signal problems.  You need to get a signal and drop line test done onsite when the tech comes tomorrow.  Don't reboot any equipment for at least six hours (boxes, modems, routers) because doing so will reset the signal error codes back to zero and the tech needs to see that.  No box swap will ever solve signal or line problems.  Tech should look at your wiring, your drop line, your basement, and the main junction box on your street just to make sure that these issues are solved.  A Technicolor (Cisco) World Box is better than a Humax Word Box.

Also have the tech open a ticket for signal and line monitoring of your area for about 30 days.  This will help diagnose problems that are obviously not being fixed.  This is not a box issue.  You have a signal or line problem, or something in your node that has not been detected yet.

Satch

Browser

@krel_2018 wrote:

An amp is only going to make the problem worse, if they are amping a bad signal. You need to have the field tech correct the problems on your end and file a line maintence ticket for signal issues coming from the tap.

Observer

called tech support last night again after the box started acting stupid. and it seems like the box is having a hard time communicating back and forth to the network more than likely i am thinking the box has a bad modem in it.

Proven Sharer

The incoming line level from the tap needs to be set accurately for any internet modem and set-top converter.  A correctly set-up connection won't have pixelation or freezing issues.  Proper downstream signal level window from the pole is between -8.0 to +10.0 dBmV, AND all channels within 3.0 dB from lowest to highest.

if the home service tech doesn't measure incoming signals within that range on every channel, then a Spectrum line maintenance crew needs to investigate and repair damage to the network equipment or cabling.  If incoming line levels are good, then it's time to replace the present 'World Box' converter with a different unit.

Observer

tech tested the signal levels for all channels and he said they checked out fine. swapped out the box for a new one and it was fine for a while then it started acting up again. directv got a call from me again. i refuse to deal with there problems for another year missing work and stuff!!!