Newcomer

sleep timer

I went into settings and set my sleep timer for 1 hour. How do I start the timer?

6 REPLIES
Proven Sharer

Re: sleep timer

@Momof3wrote:

I went into settings and set my sleep timer for 1 hour. How do I start the timer?

On most devices it starts counting down as soon as you set the sleep time interval.  If you tell us exactly which device you have programmed we can provide a more specific answer.  

Trusted Helper

@Momof3wrote:

Hi Momof,

Assuming that you are talking about the cable box, the countdown starts once the Sleep Timer is set and you save the changes.

Satch

Newcomer

I saved changes. Sleep timer did not start.

Trusted Helper

@Momof3wrote:

I saved changes. Sleep timer did not start.

Hello,

The Sleep Timer won't actually "Count down" from say 1hr,  59min,  58min." (ect.)  All that Sleep Timer does is if you are watching a show from 7:00-8:00pm the cable box turns off at 8:01PM.  To my knowledge, the TV would stay on unless there is some way to coordinate the use of the Sleep Timer with the TV.  I am not sure how you would configure that.  It would be based on programming your box and the type of guide that you have on the box if that is even possible.

Has anyone used Sleep Timers on their cable boxes to comment even further on this topic?

Satch

Helper

Use the sleep timer on the tv. Turning off a cable box saves next to nothing in energy.

Highlighted
Expert

The sleep timer is constantly reset whenever you press any button on the remote. so if you change channels, it restarts with 1 hr after you did that change.. if you change another channel at 55 minutes, it resets and there's another hour added.

Also, this is not a one time event... once the sleep timer is turned on,  Anytime you ignore pressing something for an hour, the box will go into standby and possibly turn off your tv if CEC handshaking is working.

This is similar to SDV's "press any key to keep watching this program" but those usually keep that message on the screen.