Contributor

new service

Getting really frustrated with my satellite provider and am considering switching to Spectrum. I would like to go with a 6-tuner DVR and 3 rooms. What can i expect as far as picture quality, recording from this setup?  Will the DVR allow recording from within other rooms or does it have to be initiated at the main unit? Can anyone shed some light on the function of the DVR and the expected pic quality?  I believe that my area uses the 6-tuner but not 100% sure.

5 REPLIES 5
Proven Sharer

Re: new service

@Geezer64 wrote:

Getting really frustrated with my satellite provider and am considering switching to Spectrum. I would like to go with a 6-tuner DVR and 3 rooms. What can i expect as far as picture quality, recording from this setup?  Will the DVR allow recording from within other rooms or does it have to be initiated at the main unit? Can anyone shed some light on the function of the DVR and the expected pic quality?  I believe that my area uses the 6-tuner but not 100% sure.

The "Whole House" DVR is no longer being offered for new customers, but if you are currently a legacy TWC customer and have one, you can keep it.

I do not know if Charter Spectrum's new offerings in way of DVRs support multi-room viewing.

You might be better off going with a Tivo solution...

Expert

6 tuner DVR's are NLA, Spectrum is going to a "worldbox" cloud based dvr , unknown if they will ever get multiroom operation working as it never did on the old WHDVR setups with 2-3-6 tuner DVR's

Helper

@dstoffa wrote:

You might be better off going with a Tivo solution...

Completely agree.  Spectrum doesn't offer a whole house DVR, they only support it if you already have it. Go with a TiVo Roamio or Bolt with a couple of TiVo Minis...plus the minis will let you access Netflix, Amazon, etc. without needing a separate device.

Contributor

Thanks to all of your replies. Gives me more to consider.

Highlighted
Expert

Check the most recent post.. a supposed "8 tuner" dvr is now being offered with a supposed "780 hours recording time" which is impossible unless it's really a cloud based box as HD's aren't made that will record that much HD content.

Cloud based requires QAM 256 modem signal quality and at least a reliable 20/2 service to the dvr (it is a seperate mac from your modem and not at all related to what internet speed you pay for)

There is no info on Spectrums "worldbox" either. no announcement on multiroom or multidevice viewing that will require massive amounts of DS bandwidth, count on 5-10 megs per channel simultaneously viewed and on your TWC/ Spectrum modems service, not the "dvr's"