Observer

fee's for capping off outlets???

does anyone know if spectrum charges a fee for capping off un used outlets that will not be in use any longer to prevent signal leakage???

7 REPLIES 7
Helper

Re: fee's for capping off outlets???

Not sure but if they do it would be cheaper to buy some 75 ohm coax terminators (10 pack for $5 or $6) from your local big box home improvement store.

Wire cutters work pretty well too unless you want to keep the line intact for possible future use.

LGT
Contributor

According to Spectrum’s rate card a truck roll is $50.00 which they would probably charge you since this is not really a problem that is their fault.  On the other hand You can get a four pack of 75 ohm terminations from Home Depot for $5.50 (which is no bargain).  You just screw them on, job done and you are up $44.50.  

Proven Sharer

@reds91185 wrote:

Not sure but if they do it would be cheaper to buy some 75 ohm coax terminators (10 pack for $5 or $6) from your local big box home improvement store.

Wire cutters work pretty well too unless you want to keep the line intact for possible future use.

Wire cutters don't solve the problem.  You need to properly terminate the line.  A cut cable is still open to receiving noise.

Valued Participant

If you call them, I'm really not sure. However about 8 months ago, they came around & told me there was signal leakage. They said it would need to be taken care of, or they would cut off our service. We couldn't let them in at that time. But they said to go around to all the hookups & make sure all them were tightened, because sometimes that is all it is. Well it wasn't because they came around again, needless to say they found it in our attic where the main hookup was from the house to the outside.  And yes, we followed them & watched to make sure it wasn't aything hinky.  They didn't charge us anything.

Browser

@krel_2018 wrote:

does anyone know if spectrum charges a fee for capping off un used outlets that will not be in use any longer to prevent signal leakage???

If you call Spectrum and have them send out a technician to your house just to cap or disconnect an outlet you will be charged a trip charge fee of $49.99 on your next bill. I would recomend you just buy a cable TV terminator cap on ebay since they would be cheaper, compared to paying Spectrum a trip charge fee of $49.99 just to cap off or disconnect the outlet from the splitter/tap. 

Proven Sharer

The PROPER way for Spectrum techs (or knowlegeable customers) to disconnect outlets is to disconnect the cable AT THE SPLITTER and put a termination cap on each unused splitter port.  If only a single active cable remains, the unused splitter should be removed completely.  If you subscribe to both internet modem service and  aTV set-top box or DVR, you'll need two cables, one for each device. 

Lead Moderator

I agree with @karlbeckman 

The only time I would suggest just capping at the outlet is if you know you will be using that outlet in the near future and want to keep that option open with minimal work. 

As an example, I was remodeling, moving my home office from one room to another and back. when i was finished.  I did not want to permanently disconnect the one in the "real" office,  just temporarily move the modem to a different outlet in my home.  

Regards,

Julia R.

Spectrum-Social Media Customer Service

Lead Moderator-Community Forums