Observer

‘Your TV Picture will turn off soon’

Something has changed in your TV software. I am now getting ‘Your TV picture will turn off soon.’ And then it TURNS OFF MY PICTURE. I’ve changed the Power Saver Mode status from ‘on’ to ‘off’. STILL HAPPENS. What can be done to stop this???
15 REPLIES 15
Highlighted
Trusted Helper

Re: ‘Your TV Picture will turn off soon’

@Rodneal1948 wrote:
Something has changed in your TV software. I am now getting ‘Your TV picture will turn off soon.’ And then it TURNS OFF MY PICTURE. I’ve changed the Power Saver Mode status from ‘on’ to ‘off’. STILL HAPPENS. What can be done to stop this???

Hello,

What is the make and model of your cable box?  If Power Save Mode is not working, you will need to get a tech out.  For a proper signal test, try to avoid resetting any boxes, modems, or routers for at least six hours prior to your tech visit.  Resets will reset the signal on the line. (Error codes go back to zero with a reboot of equipment.)

Betting on a bad box here.  Take a screenshot to show the tech if you can.

Satch

Observer

Cisco 8742DC. I also have serial numbers if that helps. I’m not confident of your assessment as I turned the prior box in (when it started happening) and this one is one day old. But if that’s the case, so be it. So now what do I do? I’m not interested in paying for a technician since this clearly isn’t my issue but rather Spectrum’s. What do I do?
Trusted Helper

@Rodneal1948 wrote:
Cisco 8742DC. I also have serial numbers if that helps. I’m not confident of your assessment as I turned the prior box in (when it started happening) and this one is one day old. But if that’s the case, so be it. So now what do I do? I’m not interested in paying for a technician since this clearly isn’t my issue but rather Spectrum’s. What do I do?

Some things to consider:

• All troubleshooting Spectrum service calls are free.
  • Can you post a picture of this issue?
  • When you get that message, does the TV go off completely, or do you just loose the picture?  What are you doing to get the picture back ?
  • Is there any kind of timer in your TV, (Sleep Timer) that might be activated that is producing this message?
  • When did this message start happening?
  • On the first box that this happened, was it the same box model as this one? (Cisco 8742)
  • What is the make and model of the TV?
  • Does the TV have to be on for a certain amount of time for the message to show, or does the message show randonly?
  • In what city, state, and zip are you located?

I ask these questions, because the only time that I have seen a message like this is when:

• Power Saver Mode is activated on the box, and the box powers off if the channel is not changed after four hours of inactivity? OR
  • A sleep timer on in the TV is activated through the TV remote functions (not cable related.)

Satch

Observer

I’ll try to post but it happens so fast and is random that I haven’t been able to even react to it.
When it happens, the screen goes black. Sound stays on
Do not have sleep function on the TV.
This started in early Nov. Do not have exact date.
I do believe it was the model but not certain.
It seems to happen randomly tho the TV has to be on for awhile for it to occur. Seems like after an hour or so (it is not 4 hours) on the same channel watching shows without changing the channel.
Located in Sumter SC 29150.
Hoping you can help! Thanks
Observer

Forgot to respond about how I get it back on...I turned turn power off (Spectrum’s remote synced to TV/cable box) and then back on.
Trusted Helper

@Rodneal1948 wrote:
I’ll try to post but it happens so fast and is random that I haven’t been able to even react to it.
When it happens, the screen goes black. Sound stays on
Do not have sleep function on the TV.
This started in early Nov. Do not have exact date.
I do believe it was the model but not certain.
It seems to happen randomly tho the TV has to be on for awhile for it to occur. Seems like after an hour or so (it is not 4 hours) on the same channel watching shows without changing the channel.
Located in Sumter SC 29150.
Hoping you can help! Thanks

This is helpful information!  OK something else that I am thinking of is I assume that you have an HD set an HDMI cable?  How old is the HDMI cable, that can cause pictures to go out and handshaking issues? Have you tried a new HDMI cable?  Actually, I would try the step below to test next:

Do you have another TV in the home that you can hook up the box to that?  If you do, one of the following will happen:

• The same issue will happen on the other TV.  If that happens, it is on Spectrum's end and you need a Spectrum tech out to investigate.

However,

• If you try another TV in the home and you are NOT getting that message, it's not your box, but a power-circuit setting in your TV that is dying and causing the message.  Than, that has nothing to do with Spectrum, you need a new TV.

If you don't have a second TV, I would just go out and buy a little cheapy rinky- dinky set for like $300 (or less)  to test.  A tech isn't going to have the time to put your set or equipment through the paces that it needs.  Hook up your box to the little rinky dinky TV, using my above instructions as a guide.  This is really the only way that you are going to find out if you have a dying set, or it's an issue on Spectrum's end.

Please post back!  We want to know the cause of this!

Satch

Lead Moderator

What type of TV do you have. Doing some Googling it looks like some models of Sony tvs (as an example) display this very message. Seeing also some reports of Bravia. In some sets it is called ECO mode not labeled sleep timer. 

For future reference, provided the issue is a Spectrum caused issue (equipment/network/cabling etc) there will be NO charge for a tech visit.

We encourage you to contact support directly for further assistance with this.

Twitter: @Ask_Spectrum

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Spectrum

Regards,

Julia

Social Media Customer Service-Lead Moderator

Observer

Thanks for this helpful info. We do have a Sony and went in to turn off all ‘eco’ timers etc. We shall see if that does the trick. Oddly, this never happened before in all the 5 years we’ve had this TV and Spectrum. Stay tuned!
Observer

Since both you and Julie mentioned searching into the TV capabilities, we have a Sony and it does have an energy ‘eco’ mode. Went in and shut all of it off. Now we shall see! Odd that this just started happening even tho we’ve had this TV and Spectrum service for years. I’ll report back. Thanks for your help!