Newcomer

World Box

I am a  customer in Los Angeles near Torrance. How can I get a world box?

7 REPLIES 7
Trusted Helper

Re: World Box

@jduplantier wrote:

Hello,

Best bet is to go to your local Spectrum Office and see if they have one.  Try to get a Technicolor Model over the Humax, because they are better.  But read below, before you do this:

If you are having cable problems such as signal issues, or line problems, a box change won't solve this!  You will need Spectrum to come out and check your signals and drop line first.  (A signal and drop line test on the tech's Work Order is what you want.) The new World Boxes are sensitive to signal and line issues.  Avoid rebooting any equipment for six hours before your tech visit to prevent a reset of the signal error codes.  This includes boxes, modems, and routers. 

If your box is working well, I would say don't switch.  What make and model box do you have now?  How is it's performance? Post back.

Satch

Observer

what make and model box do you have now? if you have an old arris 6 tuner dvr or the cisco 9865 dvr i would hold onto them and prey that they don't break down. the world box is sensitive to weak or bad signals trust me!!! if the signals aint just right for the world box you'll have major problems trust me like half the screen being pixelated the guide freezing and locking up LOL. the the guide is great and the picture is alot better than the old boxes it's almost 4k quality. and i don't think the caller id works on the world box just yet. i dunno someone will have to chime in on that as i don't use the home phone.

Helper

@jduplantier wrote:

Go to your local Spectrum store and see if they have them in stock. If they do, exchange your box.

Everything said so far is true...the 110/210 models using Spectrum Guide seem to be very sensitive to any imperfect signals.

Browser

@reds91185 wrote:

@jduplantier wrote:

Go to your local Spectrum store and see if they have them in stock. If they do, exchange your box.

Everything said so far is true...the 110/210 models using Spectrum Guide seem to be very sensitive to any imperfect signals.

That is why a tech needs to come out, the signal issue's needs to be addressed by Spectrum. Once the signal issues have been addressed the op can exchange out the equipment if the op does not like the Spectrum Guide World Boxes.

Helper

Yes if there are signal issues they need to be addressed, but the original post makes no mention of any type of problem. I took it to mean maybe they just want the newest equipment available.

@jduplantier  Are you wanting to exchange the box because you are having some type of problem (pixelation, slow On Demand, etc.) or do you just want the latest and greatest?

Trusted Helper

@reds91185 wrote:

Yes if there are signal issues they need to be addressed, but the original post makes no mention of any type of problem. I took it to mean maybe they just want the newest equipment available.

@jduplantier  Are you wanting to exchange the box because you are having some type of problem (pixelation, slow On Demand, etc.) or do you just want the latest and greatest?

Yes,

Pixilation is almost never a box issue and is almost always a signal, line, or wiring problem.  Customer should not reboot any equipment for six hours (boxes, modems, routers) prior to service call, to avoid a resetting of signal error codes back to zero.

Aging boxes like SA's, Paces , and Motorola's can often be slow because of their age.  If the remote is good, batteries are good, buttons light up and are responsive, the tech MUST check signals, lines and wiring FIRST.  Newer boxes will not solve bad signal levels!  Or line issues!  If signals are good, and your box is at least ten to fifteen years old, and you are noticing the slowdowns than call to get your equipment updated.  If you have an older box like this with no problems, keep what you have, as you never know what you are going to get in an exchange.  Newer may not necessarily mean better!

As stated, the World Boxes can be very sensitive to signal outputs.  They have no clock, and that can be a deal breaker for many.  World boxes with ODN Navigator Guide run very well.  World Boxes with Spectrum Guide have some bugs and Spectrum land line phone subs, you will lose Caller ID on TV if you are in a former legacy TWC Market with a Spectrum Guide box. Still waiting for Caller ID on TV to come to Spectrum Guide in legacy TWC areas.

The six-tuner DVR boxes are the best, but they are rare.  These are the Cisco 9865, which I have!  And the Arris 3600-M.  They run ODN Navigator Guide and I would take those in a heartbeat over World Box.  But again, signals and lines MUST be checked first!

I will add by asking the same question.  Are you having signal problems or slowness?  Or do you just want a newer box?  Hopefully the information above will be a good resource guide.

Satch

Observer

i just noticed something else with the world box remote. unless i am missing something there is no live tv button as well. oh yea and the number buttons don't light up either!!! but the picture is amazing. the spectrum 210 is the DVR box and the spectrum 110 is the standard HD box. wonders how the op made out?