Newcomer

When is cloud DVR coming?

Dear Spectrum, I'm ready to subscribe to TV Choice the day you make cloud DVR service available.  Non-time shifted viewing is so last century I don't even know what you call it. "By appointment only viewing"? 

I remember 30 years ago watching the clock until Friends and Cheers would be on -- I'm not going back to that.  And I'm not getting a physical DVR that restricts me to watching on a single TV -- that would be so last decade.

14 REPLIES
Trusted Helper

Re: When is cloud DVR coming?

@SpeedWeaponry wrote:

Dear Spectrum, I'm ready to subscribe to TV Choice the day you make cloud DVR service available.  Non-time shifted viewing is so last century I don't even know what you call it. "By appointment only viewing"? 

I remember 30 years ago watching the clock until Friends and Cheers would be on -- I'm not going back to that.  And I'm not getting a physical DVR that restricts me to watching on a single TV -- that would be so last decade.

Some thoughts known at this time,

TV Choice whenever cloud-based DVR comes out would be an independent service level.  TV Choice, is like Spectrum Select, Spectrum Silver, and Spectrum Gold, it is a service level.

Some elements of the enhanced DVR's (Which are the new Spectrum World Boxes, Cisco/Techicolor,  Arris, and Samsung boxes, ) have some cloud features built into them already, such as advanced search and Video On Demand, which gets its information from the cloud.  The goal will be to move as much DVR services to the cloud as possible, which will allow the boxes to do less work, as everything, or almost everything will be "Streamed" to the customer.

As all divisions have different head-ends and use different hardware technology, it is too difficult to say when cloud-based DVR's will be available,  It will be great to have settings, shows, and series stored in the cloud, so that if a box needs to be swapped, once the new box is activated, all the old settings, shows, movies and series that were DVR'ed, come down from the cloud to the new box!

Satch

ant
Established Sharer

I wonder if cloud DVR will cost more than the physical DVR boxes. Smiley Sad

--
Ant @ Quality Foraged Links (http://aqfl.net) and The Ant Farm (http://antfarm.home.dhs.org / http://antfarm.ma.cx).
Trusted Helper

@ant wrote:

I wonder if cloud DVR will cost more than the physical DVR boxes. Smiley Sad

Shhhh,

Ant, don't give them that idea! LOL!

Satch

Rookie

I use PlayOn to record streaming channels with Spectrum Choice. PlayOn is kind of a pain to set up and at times won't record, but is still better than nothing. Their support is e-mail only and they do respond.

For everything else I use a Tivo Bolt 4 tuner with a cable card. I absolutly love my Tivo and it's features. This is by far the best DVR available. The only issue I have is with FXM, which isn't coming in on the Tivo, but is coming in on the App. Spectrum is sending me a cable card tuning adaptor which should resolve the issue. I'm very happy that they came out with the TV Choice program which gives me all the local channels and the option to choose 10 additional. The fact that my wife now gets her Lifetime & Hallmark Movies makes her very happy! Also, for an additional $15 per month I'm able to stream HBO Go, Showtime Anytime, TMC, Starz & Starz Encore.

Browser

i am sure they will offer different packages depending on how much space one wants to record and save

as satch said shhhh
Browser

and yet the wonder why people are cutting the cord
Proven Sharer

You do realize that after cutting the cord, Spectrum still collects your money every month.  Part of it goes into their internet pocket, the rest into the TV pocket on the other side of the house.  Spectrum Choice requires you to subscribe to both TV and internet.

Browser

i sure do reconize that!!!
Observer

if you want a DVR that's not stone age then satellite might be a better option for you since they offer a whole home system and you can program it from your smart phone and tablet as well and take your shows on the go to. and there's tivo but i can't justify the cost of a tivo with the mini's and then hooking it up to a service that already has a poor picture anyways because of bandwith restraints. and after trying out the world box there's no way i would want the guide in the cloud there's to many issues with doing it that way same with directv now the guide took to long to download and froze up on both services