Not applicable

What about DCX-3600? Upgrade from 3510?

We have an Arris DCX-3510-M dual tuner DVR for Spectrum service in Austin. When we signed up, we first had a couple of 210 boxes which were terrible. Tech brought us an Arris DCX-3510-M, which he thought had 4 tuners (it has 2) which he said he had found to be "rock solid" (with which we agree, so far).

We really like the 3510 EXCEPT for the fact that it only has 2 tuners. Is the 3600 box a reasonable upgrade from the 3510? What I would like is what I have (the "rock solid" 3510) + more tuners. I do NOT want another 210 box.

Should I try to get a 3600 from Spectrum, assuming they are available?

7 REPLIES 7
Helper

Re: What about DCX-3600? Upgrade from 3510?

Those issues you had with the 210...all due to the Spectrum Guide. I don't think any of the 3600s run Spectrum Guide so you should be good.

Observer

I returned my old DVR the one that recorded 6 shows at once. It was from Time Warner. I went to the store because I wanted the newest box because it was finally supposed to have apps like Netflix.

I got it home and it only contained Netflix but the Guide is so slow its really making using it the worst experience I have ever had with cable boxes.
I tried to return it and get my old box back and they said I could not have it.
So I am stuck with this box that is not ready for prime time and should never had been released to the general public.

So what does this 3600 have?

And can I get it. I'm in the NYC area?

Thank you.

Rob
Trusted Helper

@gdmedia wrote:

We have an Arris DCX-3510-M dual tuner DVR for Spectrum service in Austin. When we signed up, we first had a couple of 210 boxes which were terrible. Tech brought us an Arris DCX-3510-M, which he thought had 4 tuners (it has 2) which he said he had found to be "rock solid" (with which we agree, so far).

We really like the 3510 EXCEPT for the fact that it only has 2 tuners. Is the 3600 box a reasonable upgrade from the 3510? What I would like is what I have (the "rock solid" 3510) + more tuners. I do NOT want another 210 box.

Should I try to get a 3600 from Spectrum, assuming they are available?

Hello,

BOTH the Cisco 9865 and the Arris 3600-M DVR's  have SIX TUNERS and are absolutely the best boxes out there.  Please note that if you have things like picture pixilating, that is a signal issue or a line issue, and you would have to have a tech come out to update your lines or wiring.  No new boxes will ever solve bad signal levels.  Users should allow six hours before your tech visits where they avoid resetting any equipment (boxes, modems, and routers) during that time.  Reboots of equipment will reset the signal error codes back to zero, and you don't want that.

The new World Boxes are however much more SENSITIVE to signal and line problems, and a lot of people don't like the new Spectrum Guide,  You will also lose Caller ID on TV if you get a box with Spectrum Guide on it, and you are in a former legacy TWC market.  Caller ID on TV is still not out yet for Spectrum Guide in these areas.  I strongly recommend that if users get the six-tuner Arris 3600 M or Cisco 9865 DVR to guard it with their life,  It also runs the better and more reliable ODN Navigator Guide.  Both the Cisco and Arris six-tuner models are AWESOME!  But they are getting very rare, so get one while you can, but remember the above advice about signal and line issues.

OP, where are you located?  City, state, and zip?  Perhaps a mod might be able to reach out to your local office to see if the six-tuner DVR boxes are still out in your market.  This will save a driving trip to a Spectrum Store if they are not in your area.  I would really do everything I could to get one of those boxes over a Spectrum Guide World Box if I was in your situation.  (I have a Cisco 9865.)  Don't count on a tech having a six-tuner DVR on his truck anymore.  He will only have four-tuner World Boxes with Spectrum Guide or two-tuner boxes.  If you want a six-tuner DVR, you are probably going to have to reach out to your local Spectrum Store.

Satch

Trusted Helper

@rlanza1054 wrote:
I returned my old DVR the one that recorded 6 shows at once. It was from Time Warner. I went to the store because I wanted the newest box because it was finally supposed to have apps like Netflix.

I got it home and it only contained Netflix but the Guide is so slow its really making using it the worst experience I have ever had with cable boxes.
I tried to return it and get my old box back and they said I could not have it.
So I am stuck with this box that is not ready for prime time and should never had been released to the general public.

So what does this 3600 have?

And can I get it. I'm in the NYC area?

Thank you.

Rob

Rob,

I would get a tech out due to the slowness of the guide on your World Box.  You may have a signal or line issue.  Set up a service call and ask in the Work Order that you need a signal and drop line test.  The new World Boxes are very sensitive to signal issues.

Advice to you, is don't reboot any boxes, modems, or routers for six hours prior to your service call.  Reboots will reset the error code signals on the lines back to zero, and you don't want that.  When the tech is there to check your signals, you can ask him if he has a box with a clock on it.  Unfortunately, these boxes will only have two-tuners if you have DVR service, but at least you will have the better guide back.

Satch

Not applicable

Thanks for the info. I am in Austin, TX 78727. The Spectrum office is near me and I will go there and ask them about trying out a 3600 if they have one. Hoping, if they do, I can take it home and fire it up before taking the 3510 back. If they don't, we can live with the 3510. Even with just 2 tuners, it is a HUGE improvement over the 210!
Observer

i got a 6 tuner box just by threating to cancel!!!

Highlighted
Observer

and if your A/C breaks down and it hits over 100 degrees in your home that 210 will more than likely croak as i had one croak on me when my A/C croacked. there is no fan in them either just the vent holes!!! poor manufacturing in my book HDD'S do tend to get hot. and no the 6 tuner boxes don't have the new spectrum guide. though the channel logos are in the top left hand corner!!!