Newcomer

Weather Alerts freezing my screen

Every time one of these Spectrum alerts go off, very annoying BTW, once finished they go back to a  solid black screen with some gibberish in the top left corner.  This is if I'm out of the room and don't see it on the TV. It won't go back to the program that it was on. I'll have to change the channel, then back, to get to what I was watching. 

When you're watching, and it comes on, it would be nice to simply hit exit and get that off your screen rather than having to change the channel and go back. If I'm recording something I don't want this screwing it up.  The other night this was happening about every 15-20 minutes. Your screen goes black, with these boxes rather than the words on the bottom of your screen. You'd have to sit there for at least a minute with that before my screen would go solid black with gibberish in the corner and just sit silent.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
Trusted Helper

Re: Weather Alerts freezing my screen

@icepuck wrote:

Every time one of these Spectrum alerts go off, very annoying BTW, once finished they go back to a  solid black screen with some gibberish in the top left corner.  This is if I'm out of the room and don't see it on the TV. It won't go back to the program that it was on. I'll have to change the channel, then back, to get to what I was watching. 

When you're watching, and it comes on, it would be nice to simply hit exit and get that off your screen rather than having to change the channel and go back. If I'm recording something I don't want this screwing it up.  The other night this was happening about every 15-20 minutes. Your screen goes black, with these boxes rather than the words on the bottom of your screen. You'd have to sit there for at least a minute with that before my screen would go solid black with gibberish in the corner and just sit silent.

Thanks

I know!

And it's something that's built into the network.  The same thing with the "Amber Alerts" or "Weather Emergencies."  The FCC sends those out to all the TV vendors and the boxes do hiccup of you try to exit or change channels Same with the EBS "Emergency Broadcast System" Test.

Best advice I can give is just to let them pass. Sending commands from the remote to the box or more likely to mess something up than to get rid of the messages.  Does anyone know if there is a specific duration for start and stop time and repeat of those messages?

Satch

Helper

Once the emergency alert is finished the box should go back to the previous channel...if it doesn't there's an issue. 

What do you mean by "gibberish"? Random nonsense characters or some alert message that you don't care about? 

Sharer

What kind of box are you using? The Cisco digital adapters were notorious for locking up on weather alerts.

Newcomer

You can let them pass, that's when it gives you this screen. I've stepped out of the shower and noticed silence coming from the livingroom. Instantly I knew what it was. Sure enough, there's the black screen with the mess on it. I took a screen shot but It's not clear. I can give some of what it says.

Fedora release 10 (cambridge)

Kernel 2.6.27.5-117.fc10.586 on an 1686(ttyl)

I can't the 3rd line

The kind of box is Arris DCX3510-M

Trusted Helper

@icepuck wrote:

You can let them pass, that's when it gives you this screen. I've stepped out of the shower and noticed silence coming from the livingroom. Instantly I knew what it was. Sure enough, there's the black screen with the mess on it. I took a screen shot but It's not clear. I can give some of what it says.

Fedora release 10 (cambridge)

Kernel 2.6.27.5-117.fc10.586 on an 1686(ttyl)

I can't the 3rd line

The kind of box is Arris DCX3510-M

This helps!

The Arris is a great box!  I would report this to Spectrum.  Get a Twitter account or log into the Ask Spectrum Page on Twitter and follow them.  Let them know that Weather Alerts are freezing your box all the time.  Send them your account information.  If you can get a screen capture for next time, send that to them anyway, even if you can't make it out completely They can take that graphic and put it on a ticket in their node.

You might want to get a tech out to check your signals and drop line.  Do that if they request this on Twitter.  Most importantly, try not to reboot any boxes, modems, or routers for at least six hours before the tech comes.  Reboots of any equipment will reset the signal errors back to zero on the tech's signal reader, and we need to find out what those signal levels are.  If you are having freezing problems with the weather alerts on your box, signal and line issues would be the first thing that would need to be investigated if the issue happens more than one time.  For our community reference, what city and state are you in, and the zip code? 

You can describe your problem now on Ask Spectrum at Twitter with the Weather Alerts and error messages showing on your box now.  I take it you have a screen capture now?  Can you post it for us here?  I would get your signals checked.  This isn't your box.  It is something with your signals or something in your node. On @Ask Spectrum, emphasis to the reps that the messages with gibberish are occuring after the weather alerts have passed, and what you have been doing with your box to get them off the screen.  As well as how often you are seeing them?

Satch

Browser

I live in Cincinnati Ohio and the national weather service in wilmington ohio has recently started to activate the emergency alert system for severe thunderstorm warnings and flood warnings. Charter Communication's is required to pass along those alerts to their set top boxes which results in you being unable to use your service until the alert is cleared. It usually takes around 1 to 2 minutes for the alert to be cleared.

Observer

I have had the same problem for as long as I have been a Spectrum customer.  I will be reporting it to Spectrum soon, but I don't believe it can be easily fixed.  The text, btw, isn't really gibberish.  That is a login screen for a Fedora Linux server (really old Fedora, at that).  For a long time, we realized that we could simply type in a new channel number while the EAS was going off, then go back to the original channel and it would clear it.  Annoying, but an easy workaround.  Then, we discovered how much fun On Demand is.  Now that is mostly what we watch, but guess what, the EAS interrupts On Demand too.  Getting back to your program is a bit trickier when this happens.  I realize the EAS messages are mandated, but there has to be a better way to implement it.

Robert (zip 75033)