Observer

Video Source Button on CLIKR-5 UR5 Remote

I have the UR5U-8780L CLIKR-5 remote for my Time Warner System.  I own an LG TV model 47LN5750.  Regarding the Video Source button, I know that I have to press “TV” before pressing Video Source because the source switching is done in the TV.  I can cycle through all the sources by repeated pressing Video Source.  However, once arriving at my desired source, the TV is waiting for some kind of ENTER command, which I cannot provide from this remote.  Pressing OK/SEL or pressing TV and OK/SEL does not do it.  So the TV just remains on the selection screen for a minute or two, until it eventually times out and goes to the selected source.  Question is, what button on the remote can I press to complete the selection of the desired source and thus go immediately to that source?  It accomplishes 2 of the 3 steps but is missing the last “ENTER” command.

Everyone's Tags (4)
9 REPLIES 9
Expert

Re: Video Source Button on CLIKR-5 UR5 Remote

add the cable box code for a scientific atlanta cable box to your tv remote and use it instead.

Highlighted
Observer

Sorry, not understanding the relevance of that answer, MsRaye.  Since my TV is an LG and the source switching takes place in the TV, the only choices in programming the remote are for TV codes.  You can't enter a cable box code for a TV set.  My remote is programmed with the appropriate LG code.  And my cable box is not an S/A it's an Arris DCX-3510M, not that that has any relevance to the issue at hand.

Spectrum Employee

A link that'll help I think:
http://www.timewarnercable.com/content/twc/en/support/program-your-remote/UR5U-8790L.html#pyr-manual

To program the UR5U-8790 to the TV...

1. Have the TV on, have the cable box on.
  2. OK button + Device button (in this case the TV button), pressed down simultaneously for 3 seconds, then let go.
  3. Type in codes for a LG (102, 106, 112, 113, 116, 127, 143, 284, 363, 569, 648), when you get the right one STOP.
    You'll know it's the right one because the TV's power will switch off.
    Note: There are a few models out there that no code works for, but those are usually off-brands that are made-in-China (I can't remember the Walmart one offhand, but the Best Buy one is called Insignia)
  4. Press the device button (again, "TV" in this case) to save that code
  5. Now you should be able to use TV then the power symbol above it on the remote to turn the TV back on and the volume controls should work.

Let me know if that worked? Smiley Happy

I think was MsRaye was going for was the other way around.  Programming the TV's remote to the cable box.  Frankly, that has less chance of success.  I use my UR5U-8790 remotes back at my home for everything except if I need to load up Netflix, Pandora, or YouTube apps on my SmartTV Samsung or if I need to change the input/souce for the HDMI jack on the back.  But when watching TV and controling volume I'm just using the TWC remote.

The TWC remotes won't allow you to do the switching of the input/source, there's just no button for that on them, unfortunately.

For programming the TV remote to the box, you need to check the TV manufacture's process for programming and the codes for the brand-name of that box you have (Cisco, Samsung, Technicolor, Pace, etc.)   I'll try to see if I can find something on that...

Here's the user manual for the TV you mentioned (I think): http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-47LN5750

My postings on this site are my own, off-the-clock, and don’t necessarily represent TWC’s/Charter's strategies or opinions.
Expert

Take your TV remote and add the code for a scientific atlanta cable box to it.

That worrks all or most of TWC's boxes.

It is the ONLY WAY you can control all the TV's functions and yes it might not access the dvr, try different SA codes.

If the TV mfg has added current devices, see if there's an arris DVR listed.

Most don't, Smart TV's seem to have gone to cloud and DLNA device support that TWC and others don't support for video record/playback thru a local dvr.

Observer

AgentX5, the only line relevant to my issue in your reply was:

The TWC remotes won't allow you to do the switching of the input/source, there's just no button for that on them, unfortunately.

So I now know from that that there is no ENTER button that will complete the sequence after using the VIDEO SOURCE button.

MsRaye , you are probably responding to a different issue than what I am describing. But thanks for your attempted contribution.

Observer

And I see now what MsRaye was trying to suggest in abandoning the CLIKR remote in favor of using only the remote that came with the TV.  That is not a solution as I would lose too many of the functions of the CLIKR.  The remote with my TV has very few buttons and is what I would describe as being a "mouse" based remote.

Expert

See if you can exchange that remote for a different model at TWC

If not it's a tupperware lid and velcro, Woman LOL

Newcomer

I press and hold the TV and the video source for 3 seconds and release, it changes to vidoe 1 input, press and hold TV and the video source for 3 seconds and release, it changes to video 2 input.  then press and hpld the TV and video source for 3 seconds and release, it changes back to TV, as I only have 3 inputs, but if you have more than than you might have to keep using the 3 second mode to keep moving.

Everyone's Tags (2)
Browser

I can honestly say that not all tvs work correctly with the CLIKR-5 remote. With one of my TV's the video source button in the bottom left hand side of the remote actually mutes my TV. No idea how it works that way, im guessing there is just a line of code that is run that is too similar and the tv takes it as mute instead of input select.