Not applicable

Very Hot Coax/Outlet

I was having some issues with picture, so went to check for a loose connection and the coax, the connector and outlet were "OH    hot... I don't think this is normal because I used search and nobody else seems to be having this issue... Please help me! Kind of worries of it catching fire... Also, when I was finally able to get it off, I noticed what looked like current from inner coax tip to any part of the metal connection I touched..

11 REPLIES 11
Trusted Helper

Re: Very Hot Coax/Outlet

@MasterNameless wrote:
I was having some issues with picture, so went to check for a loose connection and the coax, the connector and outlet were "OH Sh*t" hot... I don't think this is normal because I used search and nobody else seems to be having this issue... Please help me! Kind of worries of it catching fire... Also, when I was finally able to get it off, I noticed what looked like current from inner coax tip to any part of the metal connection I touched..

Hey Master Nameless,

This is not normal at all.  You will need to get a tech out to check your wiring, the coax, and the outlet.  Something is CAUSING that equipment to be hot.  Please mention to the tech any equipment changes or updates done recently to your Spectrum services when he is there.

I would call Spectrum today to set up that appointment.

Satch

Proven Sharer

I agree.

A cable gets hot when it's carrying a lot of current - more than it is designed for.  There is no good reason for a telecomunications coaxial cable to be carrying large amounts of current.  My guess is that there is a short somewhere, and current is taking a path to ground.  That path is your coaxial cable.

Lead Moderator

I agree!

Please contact us as soon as possible to set up that appointment!

Twitter: @Ask_Spectrum

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Spectrum

1-855-70-SPECTRUM (855-707-7328)

Regards,

Julia

Social Media Customer Service-Lead Moderator

Proven Sharer

By any chance, do you have an amplifier installed in your (coax) wiring?

Trusted Helper

Greetings,

Please let us know what happens with your service call.

Satch

Not applicable

Here we go.. Thank you everybody for the replys... I forgot I posted here until I touched it again...lol. I put in a service ticket for tomorrow... It's baffling me tho... It cools off when I unplug my hdmi from the TV and heats back up when I put it back in... A short in my TV? It's working fine tho... So I don't know
Not applicable

No I do not... Thanks for helping...
Not applicable

I will let you know...
Trusted Helper

@MasterNameless wrote:
I will let you know...

Hey just some FYI,

You should say to the tech "The HDMI cools off when I unplug my hdmi from the TV and heats back up when I put it back in."  But please ask him to check the outlet, wiring, and line.  Some electrical problem is forcing that excessive heat. Mention all this.

DON"T SAY ANYTHING about an issue with your TV! A tech COULD put the blame on something else not related to their equipment if that opportunity presents itself by mentioning something with your TV in the conversation.  Easy opportunity for the tech to say,   "Oh, well than, you have a TV problem, Bye."

Please stick to the wiring, Spectrum's cable TV, and the outlet check.  Post back.

Satch