Seasoned Contributor

UR5U-8780L Remote oddity

I am trying to help an elderly neighbor. Simple setup: Samsung TV, Yamaha soundbar (fed from TV audio out), unknown set-top box. I have it so all devices properly power on with the upper-left Power button. At that point, channel change works properly, but volume does not. Pressing the AUX button then properly addresses volume, but channel change then actually changes the Yamaha to another source input. I have not yet looked into any other methodology of device interconnection.

I have been through the remote instructions, but there is nothing I have found to nail this down to a simple power-on and the remote then knows which device it is communicating with.  I am looking for suggestions for this hardware, not to replace it with a more intelligent remote.

3 REPLIES 3
Trusted Helper

Re: UR5U-8780L Remote oddity

@twcsa4jim wrote:

I am trying to help an elderly neighbor. Simple setup: Samsung TV, Yamaha soundbar (fed from TV audio out), unknown set-top box. I have it so all devices properly power on with the upper-left Power button. At that point, channel change works properly, but volume does not. Pressing the AUX button then properly addresses volume, but channel change then actually changes the Yamaha to another source input. I have not yet looked into any other methodology of device interconnection.

I have been through the remote instructions, but there is nothing I have found to nail this down to a simple power-on and the remote then knows which device it is communicating with.  I am looking for suggestions for this hardware, not to replace it with a more intelligent remote.

Hello,

I would say, disconnect the soundbar and just watch TV through the conventional  TV speakers and box settings.  For the times that I have been with CATV, I have read a lot of reports of problems with sound bars and boxes.

Because the hardware in these boxes and guides in these boxes varies so much, if you are having any kind of external soundbar/speaker extension problems, just do the set up through the simple and traditional  CATV/box environment.  A lot of times these CATV boxes don't "play nicely" with external TV hardware.

Satch

Helper

Most tvs have a menu setting that would allow the tv volume control to control the volume on the soundbar while also disabling the tv's internal speakers to avoid the echo.

Highlighted
Seasoned Contributor

Sach, I appreciate your comment, but the problem is so many screens made these days have insufficient volume for people with failing hearing. I went through this with my wife when I replaced an older Samsung. The newer model just did not have sufficient volume for it to be intelligible to her. Ultimately, I repaired her older model and reinstalled it.

I found a Logitech Harmony 200 in my stash of older components and plan on programming it for her needs. I know that will resolve the issue.