Highlighted
Browser

Switching from Analog TV to HDTV. TWC Receiver does not connect.

Hi.

I just purchase a new 32” Sharp HDTV.

Have been using an old Prism Analog TV where I currently have Time Warner Cable box receiver connected using component cables. With my new Sharp TV, I want to use the HDMI connection method (HDMI port is not available on my old analog TV).

I want to connect the Time Warner Receiver to the Sharp TV. But after setup I get a “No Signal” displayed on the Sharp TV. But the TWC receiver still turns on/connects successfully to my Analog TV. The TW receiver is not switching over to the sharp TV.

Here's what I did:

1. Turned off both TV sets.

2. Plugged one end of a HDMI cable into the TW receiver's HDMI port. The other end into the Sharp HDMI1 port.

3. Turned the Sharp TV on. Went through the Sharp Setup Wizard. Input Source I selected “Have Cable” & “HDMI1”.

4. Using the Sharp TV remote I selected OK. HDMI1 text is floating around my screen then text changes to “No Signal”.

Using the  TWC remote,  I turned on the Analog TV.  It connects showing my regular cable channels.

During the Sharp TV initial setup, I did not unplugged existing TWC coax cables from Analog TV.

What is Still Plugged in on Analog TV after Sharp setup:

Coaxial cable from Wall outlet to TWC receiver “Cable TV” port.

Coaxial cable from VHF/UHF port (located on analog TV) to “Out to TV” port on my old VCR box.

Coaxial cable from TWC receiver “Cable Out” port to “In Front Antenna receiver” on my VCR box.

Note: I do not use this VCR box anymore.

Tried rebooting (power off/on) TW receiver twice still get “No Signal”.

Question(s):

Why am I getting the “No Signal” message? BTW, I am not using any external antenna.

Spectrum Support Documentation states remove all existing coaxial cables when using the HDMI method. Does that include unplugging the “Cable TV” coax cable from the Receiver?

I want to use my Sharp Remote, Is it necessary to reprogram it or reprogram the TWC remote to connect the receiver to the Sharp TV.

If you feel I need TWC Technical support to visit my apartment, will I be charged for them setting up the receiver to my Sharp TV?

Thanks.

TC.

10 REPLIES 10
Helper

Re: Switching from Analog TV to HDTV. TWC Receiver does not connect.

Coax from wall outlet ---> Coax input on receiver ---> HDMI out from receiver ---> HDMI 1 on new tv

Disconnect everything else. Select HDMI 1 input on tv. 

It's been a while since I had a non-TiVo DVR, but if this does not work you may have a menu setting on the receiver for video output selection (component, HDMI, etc). If this is the case select HDMI. 

Browser

@red91185

Thanks for the quick response.

I tried Option1. Coax from wall outlet ---> Coax input on receiver ---> HDMI out from receiver ---> HDMI1 on new TV. Verified input source on Sharp TV was HDMI1 using my  Sharp TV remote.

Same Result on new TV. No signal.

For Option2. I have a Video Source button on the TWC universal remote.

When I select it, I get Video displayed. Re-selecting it returns back to the regular TV screen.

I have AUX, DVD,VCR, TV, CBL buttons at the top of the TWC remote

The remote I am using for TWC is UR5U-8700L-TWY.

Here the link for the Time Warner Universal Remote:

https://www.spectrum.net/support/tv/spectrum-remote-controls-universal-clikr-5-ur5u-8720l

https://www.timewarnercable.com/content/dam/residential/images/support/faqs/TV/Remotes/CLIKR5_UR5L-8...

I also have a menu button on the TWC remote. It goes to a settings  menu, But I do not see HDMI.

As I mention in the first post, I am using the Sharp TV remote for my navigation of the Sharp TV not the TWC remote.

Should I get the codes for Sharp TV and program them into the TWC remote and use the TWC remote on my new Sharp TV?

Why is my video source button locked on just Video and I cannot find HDMI on the TWC remote.?

TC.

Trusted Helper

@tomx2 wrote:

@red91185

Thanks for the quick response.

I tried Option1. Coax from wall outlet ---> Coax input on receiver ---> HDMI out from receiver ---> HDMI1 on new TV. Verified input source on Sharp TV was HDMI1 using my  Sharp TV remote.

Same Result on new TV. No signal.

For Option2. I have a Video Source button on the TWC universal remote.

When I select it, I get Video displayed. Re-selecting it returns back to the regular TV screen.

I have AUX, DVD,VCR, TV, CBL buttons at the top of the TWC remote

The remote I am using for TWC is UR5U-8700L-TWY.

Here the link for the Time Warner Universal Remote:

https://www.spectrum.net/support/tv/spectrum-remote-controls-universal-clikr-5-ur5u-8720l

https://www.timewarnercable.com/content/dam/residential/images/support/faqs/TV/Remotes/CLIKR5_UR5L-8...

I also have a menu button on the TWC remote. It goes to a settings  menu, But I do not see HDMI.

As I mention in the first post, I am using the Sharp TV remote for my navigation of the Sharp TV not the TWC remote.

Should I get the codes for Sharp TV and program them into the TWC remote and use the TWC remote on my new Sharp TV?

Why is my video source button locked on just Video and I cannot find HDMI on the TWC remote.?

TC.

Hi,

I am not an authority on set up.  However,  All Coax and Component Cables should be disconnected.  For modern sets, everything should be running off the HDMI.  Disconnect everything else.  Dump the VCR  you have some old coax conflicting with the modern set up.

You need to program your remote so that when the All Power button or System button is pressed that turns on your TV.   The Sony remote you want to have only for picture adjustments such as Brightness, Contrast, ect.

When you program your TV correctly with the code using your Spectrum remote, you want to press the TV button on your remote  and than the Video Source button, if you have something else connected like a DVD player or an X-Box.  Than, switch back to Cable TV mode using the Video Source button.  This is about the only time that you will see your Sony TV menu.  But Video source won't work until the TV is programed using the Spectrum remote.  Set up a service call.

Satch

Helper

@tomx2 wrote:

TC.

I'm not sure why you would want to use the Sharp remote rather than the TWC remote? There is nothing to navigate on your tv other than those things Satch mentioned...brightness, contrast, etc., and additional inputs for other devices like DVD players, game consoles, or streaming devices which the TWC remote will do as long as you program it for the tv.

Without the TWC remote programmed for the tv, pressing the Source button controls the source output of the receiver, not the tv. I suspect the "Video" screen you see is actually referring to the coax or component output of the receiver.

Browser

Hi All.

Thanks you for your help and patience.

Here is my update.

I put away the new TV remote and used the TWC remote.

1. Did Coax from wall outlet ---> Coax input on receiver ---> HDMI out from receiver ---> HDMI1 on new TV

2. Removed all remaining Coax cables from receiver.

3. Powered off Old TV.

4. Powered on New TV.

5. Using TWC remote, I found and programmed the new TV code (for Sharp TV) using the Pre-Programmed 3 digit Method.

I am able to turn On/Off new TV using Time Warner Remote.

6. Went to Video Source using TWC remote. Saw All options. Selected “HDMI1”(Had to use new TV remote to scroll & select hdmi). TWC remote could not toggle up/down within Video Source window.

HDMI1 text shows on new TV screen then changes to “No Signal”.

If you can think of anything else I can try, let me know otherwise I'll call TW support to give me a visit.

TC.

Trusted Helper

@tomx2 wrote:

Hi All.

Thanks you for your help and patience.

Here is my update.

I put away the new TV remote and used the TWC remote.

1. Did Coax from wall outlet ---> Coax input on receiver ---> HDMI out from receiver ---> HDMI1 on new TV

2. Removed all remaining Coax cables from receiver.

3. Powered off Old TV.

4. Powered on New TV.

5. Using TWC remote, I found and programmed the new TV code (for Sharp TV) using the Pre-Programmed 3 digit Method.

I am able to turn On/Off new TV using Time Warner Remote.

6. Went to Video Source using TWC remote. Saw All options. Selected “HDMI1”(Had to use new TV remote to scroll & select hdmi). TWC remote could not toggle up/down within Video Source window.

HDMI1 text shows on new TV screen then changes to “No Signal”.

If you can think of anything else I can try, let me know otherwise I'll call TW support to give me a visit.

TC.

Hey TC,

Time for a tech visit.  Set that up so that you can enjoy TV again.  You should only be using the Video Source button if you have a hook up outside of Spectrum Cable TV that you want to use.  The Video Source button should be on Cable TV all other times.

Call Spectrum for a service appointment.  Oh, BTW, we all now called Spectrum in all communications.  No longer TWC.  Some printed cable statements still route to a TWC billing house as their payee.  But the company that merged from Time Warner Cable and Charter Communications, is now all Spectrum.  (buildings, trucks,  letterheads, guides, everything.)

Satch

Helper

@tomx2  What model cable box do you have and do you know which guide software it runs? Sounds like you have an older box so it may be running i-Guide.

Trusted Helper

@reds91185 wrote:

@tomx2  What model cable box do you have and do you know which guide software it runs? Sounds like you have an older box so it may be running i-Guide.

My question in addition to Red's question is:

Why do you need to use the Video Source button?  What non-cable device are you trying to connect that requires its use?

Still say, set up a service call.  And post back to tell us about your appointment.

Satch

Proven Sharer

It sounds like you may not have the correct code for your new set programmed into the Spectrum remote.  That could be why you can't get the input selector function to bring up the HDMI-1 choice on your new Sharp TV set.  I had that issue several years back when I upgraded. 

Next, when enabling HDMI output from the converter box, you may then see a second menu asking you to choose 480, 720, or 1080 resolution (it depends on the receiver type).  Pick 1080, not the others.  Hope this helps!