Not applicable

Streaming-Only service? Netflix and Amazon Prime integrated into Spectrum boxes anytime soon?

Comcast/Xfinity has been providing Netflix connectivity through their X1 boxes since 2016 and just this year began offering a Netflix subscription as part of their packages. Later this year Comcast/Xfinity will be offering Amazon Prime Video through their X1 boxes. And, they are rolling out Xfinity Instant TV - a streaming-only based service - to some markets. Considering that many consumers have already, or are considering, "cutting the cord" in favor of less expensive and more customizable internet-based streaming packages, I would think that Spectrum would have addressed this concern already.  The boxes are huge, clunky and aesthetically unappealing. As the rate of subscribers to traditional cable-based video services continues to decline, Spectrum would benefit from developing technology and/or packages that appeal to both tech-savvy and younger consumers. 

What, if any, plans does Spectrum have to improve and modernize their equipment and technology to retain and possibly gain new subscribers? I'm already looking at SlingTv...

3 REPLIES 3
Helper

Re: Streaming-Only service? Netflix and Amazon Prime integrated into Spectrum boxes anytime soon?

Netflix is integrated into the new Spectrum 110 and 210 boxes, but you must have a separate Netflix subscription.

Highlighted
Browser

Re: Streaming-Only service? Netflix and Amazon Prime integrated into Spectrum boxes anytime soon?

I had Spectrum tv stream. Switched to sling due to a couple channels I wanted and the $5 cloud dvr. Ultimatly I get less channels for the same price but Id rather have dvr as apposed to the channels I dont watcv.  They also have Spectrum tv choice which allows you to pick 10 channels. If you want a dvr though you have to pay the standard dvr fee with I think is $20

Proven Sharer

It doesn’t happen overnight, and if you are going to do it smart, you need to develop for the future, not the now.

I am sure they sat by and let everyone pass them because no party wanted to take on the debt with all the recent mergers.

Spectrum does offer a skinny bundle that does not require a box. I think it’s called Spectrum Choice, where you get a pick of 10 pay networks and your locals.