Rookie

Spectrum cable box OS/firmware won't HDMI handshake with TV when TV powered on

I'm not certian if this is related to the HDMI controller on my bedroom TV, which is an inexpensive 40 inch 1080p Emerson brand that's around 6 years old,

but, after some relatively recent, unknown automatic overnight Spectrum box OS and/or firmware update, the standard non-DVR cable boxes no longer can HDMI handshake properly with that TV set when the TV is powered on and the cable box is already powered on.

That is - cable box is on, TV is off, when the TV is powered on all I get is a black screen (some amount of activity is recognized by the TV, but no video feed is coming through).

If I power the cable box off and on, audio and video appears on the TV.

If I cycle through the HDMI ports, audio and video appears on the TV.

I believe that this is related to the OS or firmware because I had a Spectrum tech replace the first offending cable box (which I believe was a Samsung) with their current smaller form-factor Spectrum box and the problem persisted.

This does not occur with any other HDMI devices on this TV set. My Roku and my video game systems can be left powered on and power cycling the TV set doesn't interrupt audio and video from displaying.

I HAVE found a work-around for this issue if anybody else is experiencing this issue with a Spectrum box.

I added an HDMI "pigtail splitter" between the TV and the HDMI cord coming off the cable box. I'm not sure what about that fixes this behavior, but it does. When the splitter is present in the setup, I can turn the TV on and off and the audio and video coming out of the cable box is not interrupted.

I'm not sure if anybody has a fix that doesn't involve the pigtail splitter, but I've tried resettting the TV to factory settings, I've tried lowering the output resolution on the Spectrum box to 720, I've tried replacing the HDMI cable, I've tried soft rebooting the Spectrum box, I've tried every conceivable order of powering TV and Cable Box on and off, to no avail.

So, if anybody else has experienced this, let me know, and if you have a pigtail switcher lying around, try using that if you haven't been able to find a solution yourself!

7 REPLIES
Trusted Helper

Re: Spectrum cable box OS/firmware won't HDMI handshake with TV when TV powered on

@FrankieVit wrote:

I'm not certian if this is related to the HDMI controller on my bedroom TV, which is an inexpensive 40 inch 1080p Emerson brand that's around 6 years old,

but, after some relatively recent, unknown automatic overnight Spectrum box OS and/or firmware update, the standard non-DVR cable boxes no longer can HDMI handshake properly with that TV set when the TV is powered on and the cable box is already powered on.

That is - cable box is on, TV is off, when the TV is powered on all I get is a black screen (some amount of activity is recognized by the TV, but no video feed is coming through).

If I power the cable box off and on, audio and video appears on the TV.

If I cycle through the HDMI ports, audio and video appears on the TV.

I believe that this is related to the OS or firmware because I had a Spectrum tech replace the first offending cable box (which I believe was a Samsung) with their current smaller form-factor Spectrum box and the problem persisted.

This does not occur with any other HDMI devices on this TV set. My Roku and my video game systems can be left powered on and power cycling the TV set doesn't interrupt audio and video from displaying.

I HAVE found a work-around for this issue if anybody else is experiencing this issue with a Spectrum box.

I added an HDMI "pigtail splitter" between the TV and the HDMI cord coming off the cable box. I'm not sure what about that fixes this behavior, but it does. When the splitter is present in the setup, I can turn the TV on and off and the audio and video coming out of the cable box is not interrupted.

I'm not sure if anybody has a fix that doesn't involve the pigtail splitter, but I've tried resettting the TV to factory settings, I've tried lowering the output resolution on the Spectrum box to 720, I've tried replacing the HDMI cable, I've tried soft rebooting the Spectrum box, I've tried every conceivable order of powering TV and Cable Box on and off, to no avail.

So, if anybody else has experienced this, let me know, and if you have a pigtail switcher lying around, try using that if you haven't been able to find a solution yourself!

Greetings,

There are several things you can try:

1.) Powering off the box and TV for a minute and rebooting.  This may cure the handshake issue.

2.) Reprogram your Remote Control's "System Button" or "All Power" button so that THE TV IS TURNED ON LAST.  This can be done.  A lot of times when the TV and box and turned on together, their can be handshaking issues.  If you can't find the instructions for Programing Your Remote, specifically the "System", or "All Power" button, you can type in the make and model of your remote here:  https://www.timewarnercable.com/en/support/program-your-remote.html

You want the following sequence from the All Power or System button:

1.) Box on (With Remote "All Power" button or "System Button.")  If you have a "System" button, use that, NOT the Power button, unless you don't have a "System" button,  If you don't have a Remote Control "System" button, the "All Power" button is your system button.

2.) TV turned on after box

3.) TV turned on last in sequence. 

Try steps 1 and 2 before trying anything else.  If that doesn't work.

3.) A different HDMI cable.

4.) Enter the make and model of your TV at Ermerson's websight and check for software updates that you can burn to a flash drive.  Than follower your TV's instructions and prompts to install the software update.  Some computer savvey is required to do this steps.

5.) Swapping out the box, but hope that this is a last resort.

Let us know what happens.

Satch

Rookie

Re: Spectrum cable box OS/firmware won't HDMI handshake with TV when TV powered on

1.) Powering off the box and TV for a minute and rebooting.  This may cure the handshake issue.

- Tried, unsuccessful

2.) Reprogram your Remote Control's "System Button" or "All Power" button so that THE TV IS TURNED ON LAST.  This can be done.  A lot of times when the TV and box and turned on together, their can be handshaking issues.  If you can't find the instructions for Programing Your Remote, specifically the "System", or "All Power" button, you can type in the make and model of your remote here:  You want the following sequence from the All Power or System button:

-Not partciularly interested in powering down the cable box and then powering it back up in a specific sequence with the TV. I know that's a work-around, but not one that I want to rely on. I want the cable box to be left on continuously and power cycle the TV freely. The old box did that successfully for close to 8 years, on multiple TV sets, this is a newly introduced issue that persists across multiple boxes from Spectrum (they replaced the box yesterday and the problem followed).

3.) A different HDMI cable.

-Tried unsuccessful

4.) Enter the make and model of your TV at Ermerson's websight and check for software updates that you can burn to a flash drive.  Than follower your TV's instructions and prompts to install the software update.  Some computer savvey is required to do this steps.

-Haven't tried a firmware update on the TV. I could try that.

5.) Swapping out the box, but hope that this is a last resort.

-Tried unsuccessful, the problem follows with new boxes, which makes me believe that the issue is with Spectrum's recent OS updates.

Highlighted
Proven Sharer

Before you emphatically state what you aren't interested in doing, please do try suggestion #2.  Having the set top box power up first [before the TV receiver] IS the standard power-up sequence when using the HDMI interface.  The TV unit does needs to initially handshake over its HDMI port to the set top box's HDMI receiver before other communications will  begin.  YOU may not like it, but that's how HDMI operates, and it does work for the vast majority of Spectrum subscribers.

Rookie

Okay, Karlbeckman, since you're emphatically insisting that this is the "standard power up sequence", please link me to any official documentation stating that it is the correct and/or only way to operate a cable box and a TV set.

Since you seem to be so certain of it, I expect that you can find demonstrable, empirical evidence of this in writing via multiple sources.

I eagerly await this documentation, and I expect you to produce it in short order.

(Of course, you're not going to actually be able to produce any such documentation, because there is none that indicates any manufacturer/industry standardization in a start up sequence like you've described.)

But to further my point that this is some issue post OS/Firmware update (possibly related to how the box is prioritizing HDCP encryption or CEC activity) - the fact that a pigtail splitter eliminates the issue entirely, E-N-T-I-R-E-L-Y, thus proving that the box can be left on for an indefinite period of time and the TV can be cycled over and over without losing the handshake is good evidence that the problem is with the the box's outbound communication, not the TV's ability to maintain a handshake in perpetuity.

Community Manager

@FrankieVit

The Forums are intended to be peer to peer assistance for technical issues.  The Forum members that are replying to your request for assistance are customer volunteers that have extensive experience.   

We ask that you keep your interactions friendly.  While we all understand that technical issues with your service is frustrating, your peers are genuinely trying to assist.    If you are unable to get the issue resolved through troubleshooting on the Forums, we suggest that you contact support directly.

Thanks.  

Rookie

James_M,

look, I didn't say anything that should have been construed as angry or offensive and I got "scolded" by a smarmy customer volunteer because I explained that I wanted to use a piece of technology the way that it was designed to function. (It's not unheard of to leave a cable box running constantly while only powering on/off a TV set. If that was a legitimate requirement, there would be step-by-step walkthroughs on Cable provider help sites that insist that that's a requirement.)

Furthermore, I'm not a novice in regards to how these electronics work.

HDMI handshakes should be able to occur, bi-directionally, "hot". If you have to follow an arbitrary sequence of power-cycles, something in the data chain is broken, or malfunctioning. I know the tech isn't a perfect science, and sometimes there are inexplicable compatibiliyt issues that simply can't be fixed.

However, since this issue followed from old box to new box, the issue is very likely that the box's OS/Firmware prioritizes the HDCP in a way that gets hung up waiting for the TV to receive it (or vice-versa), and the pigtail splitter I used to correct the problem "ignores" that HDCP requirement entirely allowing the audio/video signal to pass through uninterrupted without waiting for an encryption handshake.

I posted this thread to gauge how many other Spectrum users might be affected by what began occurring for me as recently as several weeks ago and to see if there was a known "fix" that identifies the actual issue and gets to the core of it, not a cobbled together work-around, and also to share my fix in the event that some other person pulling their hair out over similar problems might be able to fix their own box without calling in a tech.

So, I'm just as much of a volunteer as the less helpful folks yelling at ME for wanting to keep my cable box running (because they insist that's not the way that it's supposed to be done).

*shrug* Whatever.

Proven Sharer

@FrankieVit wrote:

Okay, Karlbeckman, since you're emphatically insisting that this is the "standard power up sequence", please link me to any official documentation stating that it is the correct and/or only way to operate a cable box and a TV set.

https://support.channelmaster.com/hc/en-us/articles/200377955-Why-does-my-HDMI-connection-not-seem-t...

While not Spectrum related, it explains the root cause.   I can say that my Cicso HD Adapters from TWC / Spectrum power down if I leave them on for lengths of time and the TV is off.  (i.e. - I leave for the weekend).  I then need to turn the DTA off and then on again to get output from the DTA.

It's all about protecting content.  The STB will periodicailly poll what is connected to it, and if doesn't get a response, it shuts down output...