Newcomer

Solution to Vizio soundbar control

So, after much time searching and tinkering, I seem to have found a solution to control of my Vizio soundbar with my Time Warner remote control.  Since I wasted so much time figuring it out, I figured I'd try to save some others the aggravation.

Remote: UR5U-8780L

Soundbar: Vizio S3821w-C0

1. Set the soundbar to accept a Vizio tv remote as its power on and volume control.  On the soundbar itself, press and hold power and volume up for five seconds.  The front LEDs shoud light up with the central lights brighter.  If not, do it again so that they do.

2. Set the remote AUX button to control a vizio tv (that you don't actually have).  Press and hold AUX and OK until Aux stays lit.  press the TV device button to tell the remote it is a tv.  Type in the code 386.  Press Aux to save the setting.  AUX should blink twice.

3. Set the remote to use Aux for volume control of whichever activities you want.  For use when watching cable: Press OK and CBL for three seconds, CBL should stay lit.  Press VOL + to tell the remote you are setting the volume control for that activity.  CBL will blink.  Press AUX.  CBL will blink twice to confirm programming.

This seems to be working for me.  I haven't seen any issues in the short time since I got it working.  Hope it works for some of you.  Good luck.

Everyone's Tags (2)
7 REPLIES 7
Newcomer

Re: Solution to Vizio soundbar control

Okay, so I've noticed now that the Time Warner remote does not seem to want to control the power of the soundbar.  However, if the energy save mode is on for the soundbar, it will turn itself off when it doesn't get a signal for a while.  When you turn your system back on, a press of a volume button should wake the soundbar up.  Still better than trying to manage a second remote.

Spectrum Employee

@Crazykuz wrote:

Okay, so I've noticed now that the Time Warner remote does not seem to want to control the power of the soundbar.  However, if the energy save mode is on for the soundbar, it will turn itself off when it doesn't get a signal for a while.  When you turn your system back on, a press of a volume button should wake the soundbar up.  Still better than trying to manage a second remote.

Even after pressing Aux and then Power or using System On/Off? Might be another Vizio code that will work better as the one you used seems to only control Volume. 387 is the other Vizio TV Code

I am a Spectrum employee but my posts are my own thoughts and opinions
Newcomer

I tried 386, 387, 624, 625, and 675.  One of the others, I think 625 or 675, also controlled the volume but not the power.  I am okay with the way it works at this point, but if anyone discovers a better code, I'll definitely change it.  Thanks.

Expert

when you press the power button, what device led lights?

I'll bet you need to unlock the power button so that you have to press a device before power...

Newcomer

AUX lights up.  My ir repeater blinks, so it is getting a signal, just not the right one.  My soundbar is in the open, not getting its signal from the repeater.

Newcomer

Thank you so much for this post Crazykuz.  Saved me so much aggravation.

Newcomer

This works! I must have spent several hours trying to program the TWC remote last year when I first bought my Visio sound bar. I am so glad you were able to post this solution. Thanks!