ant
Established Sharer

Re: Searching doesn't find the titles, but Guide shows them!

A Spectrum care person e-mailed me to get examples of missing search results that we are having at home that are not related to special or live events. The reason for this that the series that should be around to use as an example and not worry about it going away in a few days. Can you guys please provide a few examples of missing search results you are having? I already have provided ABC's new comedy series, Schooled, that start tonight that is still not showing up in my searches.

Trusted Helper

@ant wrote:

A Spectrum care person e-mailed me to get examples of missing search results that we are having at home that are not related to special or live events. The reason for this that the series that should be around to use as an example and not worry about it going away in a few days. Can you guys please provide a few examples of missing search results you are having? I already have provided ABC's new comedy series, Schooled, that start tonight that is still not showing up in my searches.

Hi Ant,

Any series from the 50's to 90's in not searchable with the ODN Guide Advanced search. This is just about any syndicated show: Several examples:

The Brady Bunch on METV
Leave it to Beaver on METV
My Three Sons on METV
The Hogan Family on Antenna TV
My Three Sons on METV
That 70's Show on Comedy Central and Laff TV
Little House on the Prairie on Inspiration Network

Yesterday or so, Turner Classic Movies was picking up shows in B-button ODN searches. Today they are gone again.

No NFL Football Games. NFL Football does not come up in search.
Sports is missing as a Genre category
No Sports Teams are searchable

No news shows on CNN, Fox News, Fox Business Network.

This is Spectrum in Brookfield Wisconsin on a qualifying Advanced Search ODN Guide box. A Cisco 9865 6-tuner DVR. Send this info to your contacts Ant. (This post.) Let contacts know that this is just a SAMPLE of the amount of missing B-button keyboard search content that has been missing for three months.

Satch

ant
Established Sharer

@Satch wrote:

@ant wrote:

Hi Ant,

Any series from the 50's to 90's in not searchable with the ODN Guide Advanced search. This is just about any syndicated show: Several examples:

The Brady Bunch on METV
My Three Sons on METV
My Three Sons on METV

Yep, same results with those old TV series. I tuned into METV and saw it was showing classic Charlie's Angels. I tried to search for it and didn't see it. I can't even find Lakers that used to work. Smiley Surprised

Trusted Helper

@ant wrote:

@Satch wrote:

@ant wrote:

Hi Ant,

The Brady Bunch on METV
My Three Sons on METV
My Three Sons on METV

Yep, same results with those old TV series. I tuned into METV and saw it was showing classic Charlie's Angels. I tried to search for it and didn't see it. I can't even find Lakers that used to work. Smiley Surprised

Here's another example with a twist,

The 90's series Home Improvement on the UP Network is another show that is missing in ODN- b-button keyboard searches.  If you search when the series is showing or playing, it comes up with the following:

Home Improvement          Genre

Which leads to shows ABOUT home improvement and repair.  But the sitcom series is nowhere to be found in keyboard search results.

The Partridge Family is another series that I watch on Antenna TV that is also missing from B-button keyboard search

Satch

ant
Established Sharer

FYI. Spectrum is aware of this issue. There's no ETA to fix and release it. They suggested to swap these old boxes which others and I don't want to do at this time. Smiley Sad

Trusted Helper

@ant wrote:

FYI. Spectrum is aware of this issue. There's no ETA to fix and release it. They suggested to swap these old boxes which others and I don't want to do at this time. Smiley Sad

Yes,

There's an update/patch "Ready For Test." with no ETA for deployment, but it does show multiple instances of problems with the b-button search on advanced DSG (Digital System Gateway) boxes (our qualifying boxes) in several markets.

We don't want a box swap until the box dies completely because of the loss of six-tuner DVR functionality, the lack of a clock on the World Box, and the problems with the New Spectrum Guide, which might be deployed on a World Box.

We have chosen to wait for the update.

Satch

ant
Established Sharer

@Satch wrote:

@ant wrote:

Yes,

There's an update/patch "Ready For Test." with no ETA for deployment, but it does show multiple instances of problems with the b-button search on advanced DSG (Digital System Gateway) boxes (our qualifying boxes) in several markets.

We don't want a box swap until the box dies completely because of the loss of six-tuner DVR functionality, the lack of a clock on the World Box, and the problems with the New Spectrum Guide, which might be deployed on a World Box.

Satch

Yep, it's not a hardware issue but a software issue. They just need to fix it. I guess they couldn't roll down to the older version that had search working fine.

I wonder how many of these old ODN boxes are still out there these days.

Trusted Helper

@ant wrote:

@Satch wrote:

@ant wrote:

Yes,

Satch

Yep, it's not a hardware issue but a software issue. They just need to fix it. I guess they couldn't roll down to the older version that had search working fine.

Ant,

Our boxes aren't that old. And in fact they are BETTER than the so-called newer boxes, World Boxes out there. We have six-tuners, not four. The boxes are fast, and with the exception of the B-button search, work fine.

A tech told me that unless you are lucky to be the first customer to get a new box, that ALL the boxes are refurbished. Spectrum can't afford to keep buying new boxes for the millions of customers out there. So when a box comes back, unless it's mentioned that the hard drive is bad or something, they run it through a boot up, than some 10-20 minute test, and than put it back out on the line.

You really don't want to swap out the box, unless you have a non-boot up, or a clincking sound (bad hard drive.) or the thing doesn't stop rebooting, because you don't know what you are going to get in an exchange.

I told the story of last mid July, there was some sort of update that went bad, and when I rebooted the box back than, it had gone back to the same menus that are on the old SA models. Category, Menus, Keyboard Title Search only, No Feature Tour on Start Menu, or Cover Art on VOD. This means that the boxes are capable of going back to basic guide functionality. I also would not mind that until the cloud-search gets fixed, and hopefully stays fixed!

Had I known that this three month fiasco was going to happen with the B-button advanced search, I never would have rebooted to get it back.

Somebody at Spectrum programed the keyboard search database wrong in an October update to the advanced ASG gateway boxes, and my theory is that because the search is not out completely, it has taken all this time to begin to get this resolved.

We might get the patch in "waves" based on divisions Kind of like Windows 10 builds.

Satch

ant
Established Sharer

@Satch wrote:

@ant wrote:

@Satch wrote:

@ant wrote:

Yes,

Satch

Ant,

Our boxes aren't that old. And in fact they are BETTER than the so-called newer boxes, World Boxes out there. We have six-tuners, not four. The boxes are fast, and with the exception of the B-button search, work fine.

A tech told me that unless you are lucky to be the first customer to get a new box, that ALL the boxes are refurbished. Spectrum can't afford to keep buying new boxes for the millions of customers out there. So when a box comes back, unless it's mentioned that the hard drive is bad or something, they run it through a boot up, than some 10-20 minute test, and than put it back out on the line.

You really don't want to swap out the box, unless you have a non-boot up, or a clincking sound (bad hard drive.) or the thing doesn't stop rebooting, because you don't know what you are going to get in an exchange.

I told the story of last mid July, there was some sort of update that went bad, and when I rebooted the box back than, it had gone back to the same menus that are on the old SA models. Category, Menus, Keyboard Title Search only, No Feature Tour on Start Menu, or Cover Art on VOD. This means that the boxes are capable of going back to basic guide functionality. I also would not mind that until the cloud-search gets fixed, and hopefully stays fixed!

Had I known that this three month fiasco was going to happen with the B-button advanced search, I never would have rebooted to get it back.

Somebody at Spectrum programed the keyboard search database wrong in an October update to the advanced ASG gateway boxes, and my theory is that because the search is not out completely, it has taken all this time to begin to get this resolved.

We might get the patch in "waves" based on divisions Kind of like Windows 10 builds.

Satch

Ah. I remember getting these Arris boxes back in July 5th 2014 to replace the old Motorola boxes with their ugly iGuides according to my missing http://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/Equipment/Replaced-Motorola-cable-box-and-DVR-with-Arris-ones-N... forum thread (kept my e-mail notification!). I still refuse to swap these boxes unless they have serious issues like you said. Too bad we can't swap the HDDs. Smiley Sad

Do you still have the links of your July 2018 posts? I wonder if all this mess is caused by the upgrade mess last year that we saw in https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31970022-TWC-DCX3510M-DVR-just-decided-to-reboot-and-break and https://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/Equipment/DCX3510M-DVR-just-decided-to-reboot-and-break/m-p/15....

Trusted Helper

@ant wrote:

@Satch wrote:

@ant wrote:

@Satch wrote:

@ant wrote:

Yes,

Satch

Ant,

Satch

Ah. I remember getting these Arris boxes back in July 5th 2014 to replace the old Motorola boxes with their ugly iGuides according to my missing http://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/Equipment/Replaced-Motorola-cable-box-and-DVR-with-Arris-ones-N... forum thread (kept my e-mail notification!). I still refuse to swap these boxes unless they have serious issues like you said. Too bad we can't swap the HDDs. Smiley Sad

Do you still have the links of your July 2018 posts? I wonder if all this mess is caused by the upgrade mess last year that we saw in https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31970022-TWC-DCX3510M-DVR-just-decided-to-reboot-and-break and https://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/Equipment/DCX3510M-DVR-just-decided-to-reboot-and-break/m-p/15....

Ant,

I am not swapping my box, I am waiting for that software update test to go through.  All this update has to do is get all of us back to how we were able to use the B-button search before the second to third week of October 2018.  The box swap won't make any difference as long as ODN ASG (Advanced System Gateway) software is on it, and the box is centralized to the areas with the B-button search problem.  (Areas of Wisconsin, California, and Ohio, minimally.)

The update will hopefully fix this and keep it fixed.

Satch