ant
Established Sharer

Re: Searching doesn't find the titles, but Guide shows them!

OK, it is my turn since I finally found something that is not showing up in my searches (RC's B button).

Arris DCX3510M DVR with its ODN UI 18.52 software version (is that guide version too?).
Searching for Golden Globe Awards on KNBC (4 in LA, CA) for Sunday, 1/6/2019, but it failed to find any. I did find it in DVR's Guide manually though.
See my uploaded SD screen captures below:

DiagsSummary.jpgSearchGlobe.jpgSearchGoldenG.jpgGuide.jpg

I'll post more when I find something else not showing up in my searches. I agree with Satch that the workaround sucks. This really needs to be fixed. There's no excuse. I bet other users are annoyed too who don't come to the forums.

Trusted Helper

@Satch wrote:

@bob99999 wrote:

Bob from wisconsin here.  I have spectrum model 201 dvr and i have had same problem for last couple months. Many older shows and movies dont show on search button like they use to. So if a show is advertised but does not show on search ,I have to go to den ,turn on computer, and search. Very inconvenient and a step backward in funtionality. I hope they return to old advanced search soon.

Hi Bob,

Yes, we all have the qualifying boxes for the advanced search ODN Keyboard.  The site that James provides DOES have the missing search data, but I would not call this a solution, I would call that a workaround.  On my Cisco 9865 I have the option to search for the following shows:

• TV Shows
  • Movies
  • Sports
  • Events
  • Genres
  • Actors

These options are in a long white strip on the search box when the B-button is pressed.  My keyboard search results look like the one below: (This is what an advanced search ODN keyboard looks like on my box: )

Navigator Search.jpg

I also have Cover Art For Movies and Shows that looks like this:

ODN Cover Art On Demand.jpg

And here is a picture of my Remote DVR Manager on my box:

Remote DVR Manager.jpg

I should have advanced seach functionality based on the screenshots above.  (My Cisco 9865 six-tuner DVR qualifies, as do all the other makes and models of DVR mentioned in this thread report.)

The boxes that none of us have that DO NOT have Advancred Search lool like the screenshots  below.  They are on the SA/ SAC 8240/8240 C /8300/8300HDC  with a Title Search only keyboard that looks like this:

Title Search Only Navigator Keyboard.jpg

That above (and below) graphic is from an old SA-series box that I have not had for at least six years.  It is a legacy version of Navigator that has a Cataory Search that looks like this:

Old Navigator Cataorgy Search.jpg

These last two screenshots do not have advanced keyboard search functionality because the SA-model boxes don't have that.  They also don't have cover art graphics, or the expanded Remote DVR Manager Screen.

All of our boxes are represented by the first three graphics only in this post and have the advanced search, show cover art, and DVR Manager with folder customization options. 

I wanted to show these graphic examples on our boxes to state that those first three screenshots are a part of our boxes and that we have advanced search.  It should be picking up the categories selected with the B-button and 75%-90% of the time, does not.  I hope this helps!

Satch

Update: There is confusion on this issue.  James mentions that the search "Works as intended in all areas."  But this can't be so, because several of us are having problems with our advanced keyboard search results in Wisconsin, California and Ohio. On Cisco 9865, Arris 3510-M, Arris 3600M and the T-201 (Humax, I think.)

The picture evidence above shows that we have the qualifying boxes with advanced search.  The big pictures representing our advanced boxes and the smaller pictures representing the boxes that we don't have that don't have advanced search.

Did anyone in Wisconsin, Ohio, or California report this b-button advanced search issue and what was the response?  Users in these isolated areas, please feel free to try the advanced search, using my bulleted search items above and examples, on your own qualifying boxes and post the results.  Thanks!

It is unfortunate that our mod team testers are seeing no problems, but we still have them in isolated areas.

Satch

ant
Established Sharer

@ant wrote:

OK, it is my turn since I finally found something that is not showing up in my searches (RC's B button).

Arris DCX3510M DVR with its ODN UI 18.52 software version (is that guide version too?).
Searching for Golden Globe Awards on KNBC (4 in LA, CA) for Sunday, 1/6/2019, but it failed to find any. I did find it in DVR's Guide manually though.

I'll post more when I find something else not showing up in my searches. I agree with Satch that the workaround sucks. This really needs to be fixed. There's no excuse. I bet other users are annoyed too who don't come to the forums.

Here's another one with ABC's upcoming new Schooled series I ran into:

schooledkabc7.jpgguideShowsSchooled.jpg

Highlighted
Trusted Helper

@ant wrote:

@ant wrote:

Here's another one with ABC's upcoming new Schooled series I ran into:

schooledkabc7.jpgguideShowsSchooled.jpg

Great pictures Ant!

I have the same problem with multiple shows and channels on my guide.  The pictures show that we all have boxes capable of the advanced search system.  We could find our TV Shows, Movies, Sports, Genre's, and Actors on our boxes until about mid October 2018 with no problems.  But now, almost 90% of B-button searches lead to nothing.  For reference, our guide version is ODN 8.1.0_14.

There are too many missing B-button searches to even begin to list.  The worst case scenarios are the loss of live Football Games on the B-button search during Football season.  Here are some channels that when shows are  selected in a Time Grid cell, using the  B-button, search bring up nothing:

• Antenna TV
  • ME TV
  • Cozi TV
  • Laff
  • Fox News
  • Fox Business

Probably close to 100 channels that are like this.  Additionally in B-button search the following problems also remain:

• Sports Teams are not searchable.
  • Sports is no longer listed as a Genre.
  • Specialty shows and events are missing.
  • Tons of live sports are missing in B-button search.

All we can get in VERY, VERY ISOLATED instances on a B-button search is occasionally some programs listed as a series, and some actors.  And maybe about 30% of the movie data that we used to have on our boxes prior to mid October 2018.  Up until about Mid-October, 2018 the B-button search was picking up everything correctly.

Satch

Observer

Meh... B search glitch asside,  I am happy with my new Cisco DVR cable box.    Compared to my old box, the remote buttons work easily ten times  faster and the screen no longer freezes multiple times per day with commands. .  DVR capcity has increased 10 fold.  Reboot time is halved.   I am not going back to my old box because of this issue.

Yes it is very annoying to watch a NFL game and not be able to  press one button to see what other NFL games are going to be on, but face it fellas, if only three people out of millions complain, it is not going to be a priority.  

Trusted Helper

@13 wrote:

Meh... B search glitch asside,  I am happy with my new Cisco DVR cable box.    Compared to my old box, the remote buttons work easily ten times  faster and the screen no longer freezes multiple times per day with commands. .  DVR capcity has increased 10 fold.  Reboot time is halved.   I am not going back to my old box because of this issue.

Yes it is very annoying to watch a NFL game and not be able to  press one button to see what other NFL games are going to be on, but face it fellas, if only three people out of millions complain, it is not going to be a priority.  

I agree,

The Cisco is a great box.  The six-tuner units from Cisco and Arris are really rare now, so it is best to hold onto them.  Don't trade your box for a hosed B-button keyboard search.  I am sure that this will get worked out in time.  The engineers may have to write new update code and push that out to the divisions and boxes with the B-button search issue and that may take additional time, because the testing shows that some boxes have problems with the B-button search in some divisions and others do not.

Satch

Trusted Helper

I would still suggest to those following this thread,

Since we have the picture evidence of the qualifying advanced search boxes, post if anything does change and this gets fixed in your area.  Keep in mind that this may not get fixed in all areas at the same time.

Levels of priority really can't be measured by this forum or other Spectrum Social Media Networks.  There are probably only about 2% of Spectrum's total customer base that know about this forum.  Others like Facebook and Twitter are probably higher, but not by much.

I agree about the level of priority.  The highest level of priority is being out of a Spectrum service completely.  However, box functionality should not be something that means nothing, especially when our keyboards with Advanced Search were working great up until mid October, and now they don't.

There is a lot of money involved in renting these converters, so I am hoping that Spectrum will at least go to Medium priority on the boxes and areas that lost Advanced B-button search in this report.  We can't get credits on this.  Although inconvenient, we do have the Spectrum TV website as a workaround until this gets fixed.

Satch

ant
Established Sharer

FYI. I couldn't find the live CFB National Championship in my manual searches with these keywords: CFP, Clemson, Alabama, etc. I had to go to an ESPNHD channel. Ugh!

Trusted Helper

@ant wrote:

FYI. I couldn't find the live CFB National Championship in my manual searches with these keywords: CFP, Clemson, Alabama, etc. I had to go to an ESPNHD channel. Ugh!

Thanks Ant,

This provides even MORE evidence of our our ODN B-button advanced search issues on our qualifying boxes.  We have members of our family with physical mobility problems and they can't search for their programs on our Advanced Search Cisco 9865 box, because of the problems demonstrated in different states and divisions on the proper boxes documented in this report.  Therefore, they have to move all the way to the back room in the other side of the house, to use our computer to get the information from Spectrum TV, or other applicable search sites.

Due to these medical limitations the search issues for them have become more of a frustration than I think Spectrum realizes.  The loss of any system functionality can vary a great deal in its importance from person to person and environment to environment.

We also depend on the box clock, so a World Box, which has no clock is not for us.  (Only four tuners, and don't want to get Spectrum Guide yet.  Too buggy in many markets, and does not have Caller ID on TV, working yet for which we depend on for this person.)  We don't want to go back to a two-tuner DVR, because we love the speed and functionality of this Cisco 9865 with the six tuners.  Six-tuner DVR's are now almost impossible to find

Happy with everything about Spectrum TV services, except for this now three month old search problem with the B-button keyboards on ODN Advanced System Gateway boxes.  Been involved with cable TV since 1985, and a TWC Customer since 1990, so I am very familiar with the boxes and the technology.

Satch

ant
Established Sharer

@Satch wrote:

@ant wrote:

Thanks Ant,

This provides even MORE evidence of our our ODN B-button advanced search issues on our qualifying boxes.  We have members of our family with physical mobility problems and they can't search for their programs on our Advanced Search Cisco 9865 box, because of the problems demonstrated in different states and divisions on the proper boxes documented in this report.  Therefore, they have to move all the way to the back room in the other side of the house, to use our computer to get the information from Spectrum TV, or other applicable search sites.

Due to these medical limitations the search issues for them have become more of a frustration than I think Spectrum realizes.  The loss of any system functionality can vary a great deal in its importance from person to person and environment to environment.

We also depend on the box clock, so a World Box, which has no clock is not for us.  (Only four tuners, and don't want to get Spectrum Guide yet.  Too buggy in many markets, and does not have Caller ID on TV, working yet for which we depend on for this person.)  We don't want to go back to a two-tuner DVR, because we love the speed and functionality of this Cisco 9865 with the six tuners.  Six-tuner DVR's are now almost impossible to find

Happy with everything about Spectrum TV services, except for this now three month old search problem with the B-button keyboards on ODN Advanced System Gateway boxes.  Been involved with cable TV since 1985, and a TWC Customer since 1990, so I am very familiar with the boxes and the technology.

Satch

Yeah, I also have disabilities as well like speech and hearing impediments so I use online communications like the Internet, closed captionings (had to complain about those issues in the past with TWC and Spectrum that took forever due to its rarity and they finally reproduced the issue inhouse to fix which also took a while [they even told me to swap the DVR -- heck no!), etc. I sent messages to Spectrum's Facebook, Twitter, and past Charter contacts about this issue with this forum thread and https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32180839-CATV-ODN-Navigator-Guide-Keyboard-Search-Missing-a-Ton-of... links.   I hope this old annoying still not fixed issue get escalated to be researched deeper and fixed. We really do need more people to report this issue too.