Trusted Helper

Re: Searching doesn't find the titles, but Guide shows them!

@ant wrote:

@James_M wrote:

All,

Thanks for your patience while we investigated this topic.  I have been in contact with the teams that support the guide as well as researched our knowledge database for additional information.  The following is what we have found.  (Disclaimer: the information provided is accurate at the time of posting, but is subject to change).  Also, there was a separate issue in November where the B Button was not showing accurate results.  That was a different issue and was previously resolved. 

Recap: For anyone following this post and related posts, there is a reported issue with locating all programming content using the B button to search content.  I was able to collect data, including geographic areas, ODN versions and STB model numbers.  This issue was escalated internally to the guide team and they determined the STB’s and search functions were working “as intended”.   However, there were community members that still reported missing content.

Diving a little deeper, I discovered that there are more than one search program assigned to different STB's  and the type of search program you have depends on the STB.  There is standard search, where the B Button is basically a shortcut to the On Demand search where most results are from the On Demand Library.  In this search, not all programming is captured.  Then there is Advanced Search, which allows you to search all content available.  Search parameters include searching by title, genre or actors.  Advanced Search is only available on select STB’s, including:

• Samsung 3090, 3260, 3270
  • Arris (Motorla) DCS3400, DCS3510
  • Cisco 4640, 8640

One of our test STB’s is a CISCO 8640, which has Advanced Search and is why we did not see the issue.  Of the Forum’s members that reported an issue and provided STB information, none had a device compatible or enabled with Advanced Search. 

To illustrate the point further, if you have a device without Advance Search and are looking for the program “Perry Mason”, you will see results for OnDemand programming which includes “Tyler Perry” and “Katy Perry”,  but not "Perry Mason".  If you search by the lead actor, “Raymond Burr”, you will get OnDemand content that features Raymond Burr, but not the series “Perry Mason”.   If you have one of the STB’s with Advanced Search, your results for “Perry Mason” or “Raymond Burr” will include the program “Perry Mason”, as well as the OnDemand content.

There are two ways to resolve this issue:

1. Exchange your device that is not Advance Search compatible with an STB that is Advanced Search capable (from the devices listed above).    
  2. You can also search all content, regardless of STB, by going to watch.spectrum.net and logging in with your account credentials. Ensure that your STB/DVR is recognized, then you can manage the STB/DVR from the website. 

I prefer the second option because you do not lose saved programs or settings on the STB/DVR and I find the website easier to navigate with a keyboard compared to navigating search with the remote control.  Once you select a program from the website, you can choose to “record series”.  Then, once the recorded series is recognized by the STB, you will see the program on your STB when you select “list” and can now manage the program using the remote control.   Note that once the STB/DVR is recognized with your credentials, you can manage your DVR from any connection.  You do not need to be on your home network.  The website search works with either search program and all STB/DVR's. 

Hope this answers your questions.  Feel free to let us know if there are additional questions and we will respond as quickly as possible. 

Thanks James_M! Is this issue still going to be investigated and fixed though?

Update @James_M said:

Search parameters include searching by title, genre or actors.  Advanced Search is only available on select STB’s, including:

• Samsung 3090, 3260, 3270
  • Arris (Motorla) DCS3400, DCS3510  (Correction, I think James  means DCX, not DCS, in the cases of the box models DCX-3510-M and the DCX 3600-M)  I used to have both of these Arris boxes.- Satch
  • Cisco 4640, 8640, and Cisco 9865 (6 tuner DVR.)  ( Satch=I have the ODN Cisco 9865 with Advanced Search)

One of our test STB’s is a CISCO 8640, which has Advanced Search and is why we did not see the issue. " Of the Forum’s members that reported an issue and provided STB information, none had a device compatible or enabled wit

h Advanced Search. "

Satch says (regarding Jame's quote above: "This is not true in my case, as I reported the missing ODN B-button keyboard search data, and my box is the Cisco 9865, and has Advanced Search."  Brookfield, Wisconsin, 53045)  

Update:

My Cisco 9865, a six-tuner DVR, has Advanced Search here in Brookfield, Wisconsin and has had the same issues that others have reported since last month.

The only MDN/ODN Navigator boxes to my knowledge, that do not have Advanced Search are all SA model HD (MDN), and SA-C (ODN) model boxes.   The legacy SA model boxes, that have limited title search on their keyboards, are the SA 8240 HD/HDC  series models and the SA-8300/SA-8300HDC.  These MDN and ODN boxes have basic Title Search keyboards only.  Cisco bought out SA, so if you have a Cisco box, it has advanced search  All ODN Navigator boxes that are Cisco/Technicolor, Arris or Samsung have Advanced Keyboard Search.

My Cisco 9865 DVR is working great, with the sole exception of the advanced keyboard B-button search problems described above,  I have no intentions of swapping it out, because I don't want a World Box (No Clock), a reduction in tuners from 6 to 4 on World Box, and the possibility of getting Spectrum Guide on the box, which is still loaded with bugs, and doesn't have Caller ID on TV ready yet, for which my family, depends on that feature.

It sounds like the guide team needs to find a Cisco 9865 to test with ODN B-button advanced  keyboard search.  Search for some of the catagories listed above in a division having problems with the Advanced Search.  And don't forget, the Arris 3600-M boxes are also six tuners, and there have been reports that they also have about 75% of ODN Advanced Keyboard Search data missing as well. Please review @Chaswmsday box type in this regard.  His report is eariler in this thread.  He reports having an Arris DCX3600M  with the same missing keyboard B-button search data problems as my Cisco 9865.

Satch

Observer

Where do you find your STB ID number?   I have searched in settings and online, but I just get "Cisco DVR".    Please don't tell me I have to read the tiny black on black lettering on the back of the STB.   Man Sad

Can you take your exixting STB back to your local Spectrum store and request a specific box?  How would this work as  I don't think you can call them directly?

@Satch  

How do you use a STB with that many tuners?    How did you request it, do you have to pay more?

ant
Established Sharer

@13 wrote:

Where do you find your STB ID number?   I have searched in settings and online, but I just get "Cisco DVR".    Please don't tell me I have to read the tiny black on black lettering on the back of the STB.   Man Sad

On your RC with cable box on, go to its menu's settings and look for diagnostics.

Trusted Helper

@13 wrote:

Can you take your exixting STB back to your local Spectrum store and request a specific box?  How would this work as  I don't think you can call them directly?

@Satch  

How do you use a STB with that many tuners?    How did you request it, do you have to pay more?

Some questions answered:

1.) Box ID number-In ODN Navigator, there is a setting in Settings called "ABOUT" and if you go to it, it will give you the ID for your box.  Don't post the MACC Address publicly though, because this links to sensitive info on your account.  There's also an ID identifier in "My Account" (My Services.)  You can click on that to get your box ID.

2.) The B-button search issue is NOT a box problem.  It is a Guide/Spectrum/Gracenote problem affecting several users, so taking it back for that is not recommended.  Spectrum needs to fix this for individual customers affected by this.  Spectrun provided a fix tested in the labs, and rolled out to the main areas that our guys moderate,  (At least that is what I believe.)  But there are still several customers in some very different markets that remain having this problem with ODN Advanced Search across markets.  This means one of two things:

a.) The updated fix, which can ONLY be provided by Spectrum through their overnight or automatic update pushes has not yet hit those affected markets or boxes in those markets that need the update.

OR

b.) Spectrum is still investigating the cause of why this missing B-button ODN 75% advanced search missing data for keyboard entry is still a problem.  Remember, they can't push out a fix until they know what caused this issue in the first place.

OT- With questions answered. The six tuner boxes are rare.  This just means that you can record up to six shows at once.  My tech came out to do a complete rewiring of our cable last year, because we had a 30-year old cable line that died.  He told me that the techs are only allowed at least in my area, Metro Milwaukee Wisconsin, to have no more than two six tuner boxes on the truck at one time.  He actually had to text another tech to go get a six tuner box.  I was having an issue with my previous Cisco 9865 because there was one channel that was not activating even after the tech replaced the wiring.  Oh yea, and the Arris box that another tech gave me after the updated wiring Arris DCX-3600M would not stop rebooting every four hours.

I said, "I don't want to go back to two tuners."  And I didn't want to take a World Box yet, because it has no clock.  Didn't want to chance getting Spectrum Guide on it."  So I got another six-tuner Cisco 9865.

Lastly, you have no control over what the store has in stock.  The World Boxes have four tuners and IF you get an ODN Navigator Guide and can live without a clock, they are good.  If you get a World Box with Spectrum Guide, you might have some problems because like all new technology there are bugs that need to be fixed.

Satch

Trusted Helper

Update,

I want to thank James and his staff for all the data collection efforts on this topic and the effected divisions and boxes that have lost now up to 90% of ODN Advanced Search keyboard functionality on the respective Cisco 9865, Arris 3510-M , and Arris 3600-M, as well as any other ODN Navigator box makes and model saffected by this. (MDN/ODN SA-Model boxes do not have Advanced Search.  These models do not apply.)

We may need to hear back from the specific local division areas were ODN B-button advanced search has the missing data.  We have different divisions in Wisconsin, California, and Ohio with these issues on the above boxes.

The next step is to collectively share the advanced search keyboard on ODN's missing data to test how the missing data is the same, or different on each ODN box for the areas having problems.

My view is that there are far more similarities of ODN Advanced Search Keyboard missing data than there are differences from box to box.  This means that in respective Wisconsin, Ohio ,and, California,  divisions, on the boxes mentioned above, the following conditions are true.:

ODN Advanced b-button search keyboard data may now be missing close to 90% of its data.  (Before it was 75%.)  Local divisions affected by this, need to get those resolved.

Searching for Actors/Actresses ONLY shows their names IF the program (Movie or Series) is in the database.  For example, a search for Al Pachino, brings up his movies because the ODN keyboard search is able to find them.

A search for the actor Eddie Albert does not bring up his show Green Acres because his show is missing from the keyboard search system.

However, finding the show Green Acres by hunting and pecking through the Time Grid does show the show, the airtimes and cover art.

90% of B-button searches from the ODN Time Grid return nothing, or "Please Wait" and than nothing.

Sports are listed as Series.  And often link to old On Demand Programing.  Sports are not listed as Sports like they should be listed.  NFL Football picks up no live games.  All news programing from many channels on a B-button search is gone.  Sub channels like ME TV-Laff, Anenna TV, Cozi Comet, show no B-button search programing.  Can't find NHL Hockey live, live Boxing, Cooking Channel.  The list goes on and on and on with missing ODN Advanced Search keyboard missing data.

The worst cases that are NOT showing up in the  B-button ODN keyboard searches are the following:

• Live Sports Shows missing.
  • No live news shows.
  • No Sub-channels.
  • No older syndicated series from 1950's-2000's.
  • No specialty shows.
  • No Sports Team catagories..
  • Actors ONLY if their movie or TV series is ALSO picked up by the keybard.
  • Genre searches are suposed to pick up EVERYTHING in a ODN-Keyboard search catagory.  For over six weeks, not even close.
  • Movies will show in the keyboard search only if the station is also included in the search.  If a station is missing, let's say for example Laff or Comet TV, subs will not pick up any movies on that station through advanced keyboard search.

Satch

Trusted Helper

@Satch wrote:

Update,

I want to thank James and his staff for all the data collection efforts on this topic and the effected divisions and boxes that have lost now up to 90% of ODN Advanced Search keyboard functionality on the respective Cisco 9865, Arris 3510-M , and Arris 3600-M, as well as any other ODN Navigator box makes and model saffected by this. (MDN/ODN SA-Model boxes do not have Advanced Search.  These models do not apply.)

We may need to hear back from the specific local division areas were ODN B-button advanced search has the missing data.  We have different divisions in Wisconsin, California, and Ohio with these issues on the above boxes.

The next step is to collectively share the advanced search keyboard on ODN's missing data to test how the missing data is the same, or different on each ODN box for the areas having problems.

My view is that there are far more similarities of ODN Advanced Search Keyboard missing data than there are differences from box to box.  This means that in respective Wisconsin, Ohio ,and, California,  divisions, on the boxes mentioned above, the following conditions are true.:

ODN Advanced b-button search keyboard data may now be missing close to 90% of its data.  (Before it was 75%.)  Local divisions affected by this, need to get those resolved.

Searching for Actors/Actresses ONLY shows their names IF the program (Movie or Series) is in the database.  For example, a search for Al Pachino, brings up his movies because the ODN keyboard search is able to find them.

A search for the actor Eddie Albert does not bring up his show Green Acres because his show is missing from the keyboard search system.

However, finding the show Green Acres by hunting and pecking through the Time Grid does show the show, the airtimes and cover art.

90% of B-button searches from the ODN Time Grid return nothing, or "Please Wait" and than nothing.

Sports are listed as Series.  And often link to old On Demand Programing.  Sports are not listed as Sports like they should be listed.  NFL Football picks up no live games.  All news programing from many channels on a B-button search is gone.  Sub channels like ME TV-Laff, Anenna TV, Cozi Comet, show no B-button search programing.  Can't find NHL Hockey live, live Boxing, Cooking Channel.  The list goes on and on and on with missing ODN Advanced Search keyboard missing data.

The worst cases that are NOT showing up in the  B-button ODN keyboard searches are the following:

• Live Sports Shows missing.
  • No live news shows.
  • No Sub-channels.
  • No older syndicated series from 1950's-2000's.
  • No specialty shows.
  • No Sports Team catagories..
  • Actors ONLY if their movie or TV series is ALSO picked up by the keybard.
  • Genre searches are suposed to pick up EVERYTHING in a ODN-Keyboard search catagory.  For over six weeks, not even close.
  • Movies will show in the keyboard search only if the station is also included in the search.  If a station is missing, let's say for example Laff or Comet TV, subs will not pick up any movies on that station through advanced keyboard search.

Satch

Question,

What kind of investigations are happening  in our markets, (Wisconsin, California, and Ohio?)_ on the Cisco 9865, Arris 3510-M, and Arris 3600 in relation to the B-button advanced keyboard search missing data?  What communication is being done in these markets to work on fixing this problem?  (Are the divisions working together to solve this issue?)

Everything was fine up until Mid October when all of this happened with the B-button keyboard such on the above mentioned boxes.  Please communicate with our above markets in Wisconsin, Ohio, and California and also refer to them my bulleted list of problems above.  And do checks relating to the missing searches on the following boxes in those markets relating to the Advanced Search B-button functionality:

Using my bulleted list as a guide, B-button search on any Cisco 9865, or Arris 3510M or Arris 3600M for the following show examples in any of these affected divisions: (Ohio, Wisconsin, California that runs ODN Navigator.)  I can provide some examples to help:

• Live Sports Shows missing. (B-button Search "Green Bay Packers")  Search for any Sports Teams.  They are gone.
  • No live news shows. (B button search any Fox News Channel or Fox Business New Programs. in the Time Grid cells, a very few number of shows come up as a series, but that is all.)
  • No Sub-channels. ( No Antenna TV, no Me TV, no Cozi TV, No Laff)  No programing on any of those channels either.)
  • No older syndicated series from 1950's-2000's. (B-button search for Leave it to Beaver, My Three Sons, The Brady Bunch)
  • No specialty shows.  (Most Game Shows on GSN are missing from B-button search.)
  • No Sports Team categories.. (Already covered above, but it seems that no live games are showing up in search results.)
  • Actors ONLY if their movie or TV series is ALSO picked up by the keyboard.
  • Genre searches are supposed to pick up EVERYTHING in a ODN-Keyboard search category.  For over six weeks, not even close.

Please forward this information to the affected Wisconsin, California, and Ohio markets.  Maybe some of the examples we have provided will help the guide team in those markets work to resolve this problem.

Remember that only ODN with Advanced Keyboard search is affected, and only in certain boxes and markets.  Hopefully a software update, with all the missing shows back in the missing ODN Advanced Search keyboard database is forthcoming.

Satch

Community Manager

Please try using watch.spectrum.net to manage your Set Top Box.  Using the website to search for programming on your equipment, you should find accomplishes every item on the bullet list.  This is one of the two options I previously posted that resolves this question.  Otherwise, the search function is working as intended in all areas and Advanced Search is only available on select equipment at this time.  If new information becomes available in the future regarding this topic, I will post an update. 

Trusted Helper

@James_M wrote:

Please try using watch.spectrum.net to manage your Set Top Box.  Using the website to search for programming on your equipment, you should find accomplishes every item on the bullet list.  This is one of the two options I previously posted that resolves this question.  Otherwise, the search function is working as intended in all areas and Advanced Search is only available on select equipment at this time.  If new information becomes available in the future regarding this topic, I will post an update. 

Hi James,

If the advanced search is working "in all areas as intended"  why don't Ant, 13, and myself have it on our qualifying boxes?  We were able to search for titles, movies, genres, sports, and actors on our Cisco 9865, Arris 3510-M, and Arris 3600-M up until mid October.  on the ODN-Advanced Search keyboard We HAD Advanced Search for years on those boxes, and now, for whatever reason it has been taken away.  Something is still not right here.  Why did we lose the functionality that we had?

I guess we are just going to have to live with this and use the website until something changes.   Very dissapointed that this feature is not offered for us anymore.

Satch

Highlighted
Rookie

Bob from wisconsin here.  I have spectrum model 201 dvr and i have had same problem for last couple months. Many older shows and movies dont show on search button like they use to. So if a show is advertised but does not show on search ,I have to go to den ,turn on computer, and search. Very inconvenient and a step backward in funtionality. I hope they return to old advanced search soon.

Trusted Helper

@bob99999 wrote:

Bob from wisconsin here.  I have spectrum model 201 dvr and i have had same problem for last couple months. Many older shows and movies dont show on search button like they use to. So if a show is advertised but does not show on search ,I have to go to den ,turn on computer, and search. Very inconvenient and a step backward in funtionality. I hope they return to old advanced search soon.

Hi Bob,

Yes, we all have the qualifying boxes for the advanced search ODN Keyboard.  The site that James provides DOES have the missing search data, but I would not call this a solution, I would call that a workaround.  On my Cisco 9865 I have the option to search for the following shows:

• TV Shows
  • Movies
  • Sports
  • Events
  • Genres
  • Actors

These options are in a long white strip on the search box when the B-button is pressed.  My keyboard search results look like the one below: (This is what an advanced search ODN keyboard looks like on my box: )

Navigator Search.jpg

I also have Cover Art For Movies and Shows that looks like this:

ODN Cover Art On Demand.jpg

And here is a picture of my Remote DVR Manager on my box:

Remote DVR Manager.jpg

I should have advanced seach functionality based on the screenshots above.  (My Cisco 9865 six-tuner DVR qualifies, as do all the other makes and models of DVR mentioned in this thread report.)

The boxes that none of us have that DO NOT have Advancred Search lool like the screenshots  below.  They are on the SA/ SAC 8240/8240 C /8300/8300HDC  with a Title Search only keyboard that looks like this:

Title Search Only Navigator Keyboard.jpg

That above (and below) graphic is from an old SA-series box that I have not had for at least six years.  It is a legacy version of Navigator that has a Cataory Search that looks like this:

Old Navigator Cataorgy Search.jpg

These last two screenshots do not have advanced keyboard search functionality because the SA-model boxes don't have that.  They also don't have cover art graphics, or the expanded Remote DVR Manager Screen.

All of our boxes are represented by the first three graphics only in this post and have the advanced search, show cover art, and DVR Manager with folder customization options. 

I wanted to show these graphic examples on our boxes to state that those first three screenshots are a part of our boxes and that we have advanced search.  It should be picking up the categories selected with the B-button and 75%-90% of the time, does not.  I hope this helps!

Satch