Trusted Helper

Searching doesn't find the titles, but Guide shows them!

Update,

Ant, 13, and I all still have the same problems.  B-button search not finding the titles on ODN keyboards on 75% of the shows, but they are in the system by selecting them the Time Grid Cells and pressing Select to take info on a show or series.

I assume but am not sure that our mod team works out of the New York Office, not sure, apologize in advance if I am wrong, so when James got the report from the main tech guys that this issue was fixed, it was for his market only.  (The mod team got a new version for their cities that fixes the B-search keyboard bug on ODN.)

The only thing is we didn't get the fix in any other markets. Updates can only come through automatic download pushes from Spectrum's servers.  Manual reboots won't release them and it is done during the 12am to 6am Tueday overnight maintence window.  (But any day is fair game for auto-updates.)

Typically update responses are East Coast, West Coast, South West, Midwest.  This happens usually over a 1-4 month period.  Wisconsin usually gets ODN updates about three weeks after Ohio.  So if Spectrum is treating this as a regular update push, we may have this issue until the update is released according to normal schedule.

If however, they push this update as an emergency patch and high priority we could get this within weeks not months.  Only the engineers know the priority level of an update.  Emergency patches are more for to keep equipment working.  The loss of a functionality like ODN Keyboard seach would probably be Medium priority at best.

Satch

40 REPLIES
Community Manager

Re: Searching doesn't find the titles, but Guide shows them!

@Satch@ant@13

I wanted to follow-up on this issue.  Rather than re-open or merge older and closed threads,  I'm going to start a new thread using your last comment.  

As stated last week, the search issue was escalated and investigated and the network team determined that the search was working correctly, and the ticket was closed.  However, after seeing that you are still having an issue, we did some testing and we were able to duplicate the issue on one of our test accounts. Specifically, content for local NHL and NFL games did not bring back any results.  We tried a few different search criteria, including team name, city, and genre.  On another test account, we were able to get search results without issue.        

I have reached out to the Guide team and some additional information is needed.  We would appreciate if you can provide the following: 

- Set top box model (no MAC id's or identifying information, please). 

- Guide version.

- Specific examples of failed searches.  Please include what program you are searching, the search criteria or words used and the search results.  Screen shots would  work perfect for this, if possible.    

- The channel for each program.

Thanks in advance!  You can post the information on this thread so myself or one of the other moderators can follow-up.  Again, please do not include any identifying information.  We will reach out by private message if we need account information.  

ant
Established Sharer

Thanks James_M. FYI, Ready Player One finally showed up correctly in my Arris DCX3510M DVR's search results unlike last week. Maybe it finally got fixed? I'll have to find something else to search for later. I will get the details if it happens again. There's not much on (new contents) right now for me to search at the moment due to the holidays break so this could take a while.

Observer

Box:  CISCO DVR

Guide Version: ODM/MDM

Examples of failed searches:

"BON"   finds "Cressida Bonas", "Fortunio Bonanova"  and "Angel Bonanni" but not "Bonanza".

"IN THE HE" finds "Places in the Heart (1984) $"  but not "In The Heat of the Night"

"NBA B" finds no matches even when tuned to "NBA Basketball".

You can use the guide and press the "B search button and on at least half of the listings the program listed does not show up.  If instead you press the "INFO" button on the remote the program information comes up.

Trusted Helper

@James_M wrote:

@Satch@ant@13

I wanted to follow-up on this issue.  Rather than re-open or merge older and closed threads,  I'm going to start a new thread using your last comment.  

As stated last week, the search issue was escalated and investigated and the network team determined that the search was working correctly, and the ticket was closed.  However, after seeing that you are still having an issue, we did some testing and we were able to duplicate the issue on one of our test accounts. Specifically, content for local NHL and NFL games did not bring back any results.  We tried a few different search criteria, including team name, city, and genre.  On another test account, we were able to get search results without issue.        

I have reached out to the Guide team and some additional information is needed.  We would appreciate if you can provide the following: 

- Guide version.

- Specific examples of failed searches.  Please include what program you are searching, the search criteria or words used and the search results.  Screen shots would  work perfect for this, if possible.    

Thanks in advance!  You can post the information on this thread so myself or one of the other moderators can follow-up.  Again, please do not include any identifying information.  We will reach out by private message if we need account information.  

Thanks James!

We should keep this thread open until everyone's ODN Keyboard searches are working correctly.   Thank you for providing the above information.  Let me give you some general information first about my experiance;

1.) My box is a Cisco 9865 running the ODN Navigator Guide.  Specific ODN software. is the 8.1.0_14 version

2.)  It is estimated that over 75% of B-button keyboard searches are missing. for the past five weeks.

3.) All live Sports Results are gone from a B-button search.  For example NFL Football does not bring up any live games.  Sometimes a Search for NFL Football with bring up NFL Football Fanatic, which is an On Demand Program.  No live Tennis, No live Boxing.  Even Genre searches, which are supposed to bring up everything related to the search do not show content.  I suspect that NFL Hockey shares the same problem.  It's so bad, that Sports is not even listed as a catagory in ODN keyboard searches, neither are Sports Teams listed in keyboard searches.

4.) Fox News (48, 352, 1352) Fox Business News (82, 353, 1353) shows no B-search keyboard data  No keyboard search for any subchannel listings such as ME TV (19), Laff, (990)   Cozi TV(68) Antenna TV( 986), Bounce, 997) Comet, (988) Escape. (991) Bommrang, (109) GSN (4)-Match Game  Too much to even list.  Over 75% of ODN Keyboard guide content is missing

5.) All Sports Teams are gone from B-button search.  Green Bay Packers live games do not exisit on the ODN-Keyboard search here in Wisconsin.  I am sure that all other live sports have the same fate with the ODN Keyboard search

6..) All sports are now listed in the ODN keyboard searches are Series. There are no live sports catagories, all sports team catagories are missing from keyboard results..

7.) If lucky, a search will now only return one instance of a movie, and that instance will only be VOD, even if it is playing on other channels such as Showtime or Starz.

8.) A B-button search will often show Please Wait when fetching search results and than nothing.  Often times, not even a please wait.

9) The only way to find shows is to go through the Time Grid find a cell with a program you want to watch and than press select to take action on a future episode.  Than, if you select Episodes, all the shows come up in the system.  They are in the ODN database system.  However, Navigator's ODN Keyboard does not find them.

10.) More to come with specific answers to the questions above to the best of my ability.  This has been like this for five weeks.

Satch

Highlighted
Observer

ODN 8.1.0_14, Arris DCX3600-M, Dayton Ohio

I've had the same issue since 1/12/18. Programs on WXiX (19), Cincinnati's Fox in Standard Defintion only, but with different local & syndicated programs than our in-market Fox affiliate, would not show up in search results. As with the other posters, I had to manually hunt for programs on the grid, then press Select to be able to record them. Pressing info instead would bring back a blank thumbnail, season & episode number, but would NOT show the Record, Record Series, All Airtimes or Episodes buttons. If a particular episode was airing on additional channels, pressing Info would show THOSE airings, NOT the WXIX airings.

After speaking to front-line reps, the problem was NOT corrected.

On 4/12/18, after an ODN version update, WXIX began appearing normally once again.

At some point thereafter (possibly after another ODN update on 8/7/18), searches once again failed for WXIX.

On 12/13/18, this search/info failure spread to at least WDTN-NBC (2), WRGT-Fox (8), WGN (17), Fox News (58), MTV (60), VH1 (62), CNN (70), Viceland (136), Cooking (158), Escape (980), WPTD-PBS Kids (982), WPTD-16 Again (983), WPTD-16 Life (984), Laff (990), Dayton Spiritual TV-Access (992), Stadium (996), Comet (998), MTV Live (1267).

The front-line rep took down the information, but said that she "could not" escalate the issue.

On 12/15/18, the searches/info began behaving normally again, HOWEVER, search/info now once again fails for WXIX.

Trusted Helper

@James_M wrote:

@Satch@ant@13

- Guide version.

Hi James, and all,

I'm interested in this issue as a tech guy myself.  I have some questions:

1.) In what former TWC, now Spectrum division, is box testing done in relation to forum help here.  I assume New York City?

2.) What two make/model boxes are being used in the evaluation of this problem?  Which boxes reproduced the keyboard search problem, and which didn't?

3.) Any theories from the Guide Development Team for ODN as to what is causing the missing keyboard search data?

Satch

PS. @Chaswmsday post above has some great detailed issues about the missing ODN  Keyboard Search  data.  It appears for whatever reason, the data that the keyboard is responsible for finding does not hold .  I have always had a THEORY that the ODN Advanced Keyboard search was never as accurate as the older SA-model boxes (both MDN/ODN) that had the simplified title-only keyboard search.  The keyboard search was more restricted, (Title-based only), but the data never vanished like it does now on the advanced ODN keyboards   That ODN Advanced keyboard is a two-edged sword, just like the SA-model boxes MDN/ODN keyboard

ODN-Advanced Keyboard Search- Can search for more categories, but far less reliable in search results than the SA- boxes title search keyboard.

SA-Boxes and their MDN/ODN keyboard- Can only search by Titles on their keyboard, with Themed Categories across the bottom of the screen and along the left side of the screen.

Buzzword definitions- MDN (Mystro Developer Network for Navigator) refers to the old legacy SA- TWC Navigator boxes WITHOUT a C in the model number, when legacy TWC started developing Navigator in the Fall of 2006-Spring 2007.  These Boxes are really old about 15 years old, and for the most part had been taken out of distribution.

ODN- (Open Developer Network for Navigator.) Was designed to put Navigator on SA-C-model boxes as the FCC mandated cable cards in all boxes by July 1, 2007.  The C-boxes ran Java Virtual Machine, they still might, but because of this, all the SA-Silver boxes, such as the SA-8240-C and the SA-8300-C were running slower than the MDN ( no C) counterparts

ODN allowed legacy TWC to develop a more enhanced guide system for the Navigator platform and newer hardware and much faster boxes like Cisco/Technicolor, Samsung, Arris  that could now run a true two-way cloud based guide with expanded keyboard search, guide filtering, a new DVR Manager List, and enhanced filtering options.  The speed was there, the reliability was hit and miss. 

In Mid July, 2018, my Cisco 9865 returned to the old SA keyboard search interface after some failed update and I had to reboot to get the advanced search and cover art back.  Considering how bad the ODN keyboard search is now, I have to say that I regret rebooting! LOL!  The point is that we know the modern boxes that run ODN Navigator have the ability to go back to the SA-menu screens and simplified search.

I had proposed the ability for all ODN boxes (Spectrum Guide is a different OS and does not apply here,) running Navigator for the ability to go back to the SA menu screens, while Navigator's cloud-based search system is down or being updated.  At least we would be able to find our shows in this regard!

Peace,

Satch

Trusted Helper

More thoughts,

Just thinking of how a keyboard search system could lose over 75% of its data listings? I think there was a small update to ODN Navigator last month that did something really unexpectedly bad to the ODN keyboard search database.  Can anyone share if Gracenote, who does the listing data could have also accidentally contributed to the missing keyboard data?

I have heard of issues like the one poster above shared with maybe one or two channel listings not coming up on the keyboard, but not over 75% of keyboard search data missing before last month.

Satch

Community Manager

All,

Thanks for your patience while we investigated this topic.  I have been in contact with the teams that support the guide as well as researched our knowledge database for additional information.  The following is what we have found.  (Disclaimer: the information provided is accurate at the time of posting, but is subject to change).  Also, there was a separate issue in November where the B Button was not showing accurate results.  That was a different issue and was previously resolved. 

Recap: For anyone following this post and related posts, there is a reported issue with locating all programming content using the B button to search content.  I was able to collect data, including geographic areas, ODN versions and STB model numbers.  This issue was escalated internally to the guide team and they determined the STB’s and search functions were working “as intended”.   However, there were community members that still reported missing content.

Diving a little deeper, I discovered that there are more than one search program assigned to different STB's  and the type of search program you have depends on the STB.  There is standard search, where the B Button is basically a shortcut to the On Demand search where most results are from the On Demand Library.  In this search, not all programming is captured.  Then there is Advanced Search, which allows you to search all content available.  Search parameters include searching by title, genre or actors.  Advanced Search is only available on select STB’s, including:

• Samsung 3090, 3260, 3270
  • Arris (Motorla) DCS3400, DCS3510
  • Cisco 4640, 8640

One of our test STB’s is a CISCO 8640, which has Advanced Search and is why we did not see the issue.  Of the Forum’s members that reported an issue and provided STB information, none had a device compatible or enabled with Advanced Search. 

To illustrate the point further, if you have a device without Advance Search and are looking for the program “Perry Mason”, you will see results for OnDemand programming which includes “Tyler Perry” and “Katy Perry”,  but not "Perry Mason".  If you search by the lead actor, “Raymond Burr”, you will get OnDemand content that features Raymond Burr, but not the series “Perry Mason”.   If you have one of the STB’s with Advanced Search, your results for “Perry Mason” or “Raymond Burr” will include the program “Perry Mason”, as well as the OnDemand content.

There are two ways to resolve this issue:

1. Exchange your device that is not Advance Search compatible with an STB that is Advanced Search capable (from the devices listed above).    
  2. You can also search all content, regardless of STB, by going to watch.spectrum.net and logging in with your account credentials. Ensure that your STB/DVR is recognized, then you can manage the STB/DVR from the website. 

I prefer the second option because you do not lose saved programs or settings on the STB/DVR and I find the website easier to navigate with a keyboard compared to navigating search with the remote control.  Once you select a program from the website, you can choose to “record series”.  Then, once the recorded series is recognized by the STB, you will see the program on your STB when you select “list” and can now manage the program using the remote control.   Note that once the STB/DVR is recognized with your credentials, you can manage your DVR from any connection.  You do not need to be on your home network.  The website search works with either search program and all STB/DVR's. 

Hope this answers your questions.  Feel free to let us know if there are additional questions and we will respond as quickly as possible. 

ant
Established Sharer

@James_M wrote:

All,

Thanks for your patience while we investigated this topic.  I have been in contact with the teams that support the guide as well as researched our knowledge database for additional information.  The following is what we have found.  (Disclaimer: the information provided is accurate at the time of posting, but is subject to change).  Also, there was a separate issue in November where the B Button was not showing accurate results.  That was a different issue and was previously resolved. 

Recap: For anyone following this post and related posts, there is a reported issue with locating all programming content using the B button to search content.  I was able to collect data, including geographic areas, ODN versions and STB model numbers.  This issue was escalated internally to the guide team and they determined the STB’s and search functions were working “as intended”.   However, there were community members that still reported missing content.

Diving a little deeper, I discovered that there are more than one search program assigned to different STB's  and the type of search program you have depends on the STB.  There is standard search, where the B Button is basically a shortcut to the On Demand search where most results are from the On Demand Library.  In this search, not all programming is captured.  Then there is Advanced Search, which allows you to search all content available.  Search parameters include searching by title, genre or actors.  Advanced Search is only available on select STB’s, including:

• Samsung 3090, 3260, 3270
  • Arris (Motorla) DCS3400, DCS3510
  • Cisco 4640, 8640

One of our test STB’s is a CISCO 8640, which has Advanced Search and is why we did not see the issue.  Of the Forum’s members that reported an issue and provided STB information, none had a device compatible or enabled with Advanced Search. 

To illustrate the point further, if you have a device without Advance Search and are looking for the program “Perry Mason”, you will see results for OnDemand programming which includes “Tyler Perry” and “Katy Perry”,  but not "Perry Mason".  If you search by the lead actor, “Raymond Burr”, you will get OnDemand content that features Raymond Burr, but not the series “Perry Mason”.   If you have one of the STB’s with Advanced Search, your results for “Perry Mason” or “Raymond Burr” will include the program “Perry Mason”, as well as the OnDemand content.

There are two ways to resolve this issue:

1. Exchange your device that is not Advance Search compatible with an STB that is Advanced Search capable (from the devices listed above).    
  2. You can also search all content, regardless of STB, by going to watch.spectrum.net and logging in with your account credentials. Ensure that your STB/DVR is recognized, then you can manage the STB/DVR from the website. 

I prefer the second option because you do not lose saved programs or settings on the STB/DVR and I find the website easier to navigate with a keyboard compared to navigating search with the remote control.  Once you select a program from the website, you can choose to “record series”.  Then, once the recorded series is recognized by the STB, you will see the program on your STB when you select “list” and can now manage the program using the remote control.   Note that once the STB/DVR is recognized with your credentials, you can manage your DVR from any connection.  You do not need to be on your home network.  The website search works with either search program and all STB/DVR's. 

Hope this answers your questions.  Feel free to let us know if there are additional questions and we will respond as quickly as possible. 

Thanks James_M! Is this issue still going to be investigated and fixed though?