Observer

Samsung remote stopped working

Recently the firmware in my Scientific Atlantic box update at least once, maybe twice.  The new firmware is fine.  I have read complaints elsewhere in these forums but I do not find anything objectionable except for one problem. 

The guide button and channel selection buttons no longer work on my 6400 series Samsung TV remote.  I tried deleting the cable box and setting up with the Charter selection rather than the Time Warner selection.  It did not matter.  Has anyone else noticed this?
4 REPLIES 4
Expert

Re: Samsung remote stopped working

Does the TWC remote access these functions?

no guarantee on tv remotes controlling much of a cable boxes advanced functions. and the inverse of cable box remotes controlling the TV's advanced functions.

Observer

Yes, the TWC remote works fine. I was able to get the Samsung remote to work again. In the selection menu, I tried Time Warner and Charter no joy. I went to the advanced selection menu and entered the model number of the box,8240HDC. That worked.

If anyone else runs into this issue, this is the likely solution.

PS: in the new firmware, I like the addition of a reboot function.
Expert

I take it the Samsung has a programmable via RF remote and it's what needed or got the upgrade and need a "reboot"?

Nothing TWC has is that advanced, all remotes have unchangeable firmware in them Robot Sad

Observer

Yes, I had to reprogram the Samsung remote. It is RF rather than IR. Software in the TV translates the remote's button presses into comparable RF codes. No reboot necessary.