Observer

Samsung SMT-H4372 DVR swap function

Spectrum replaced a bad Motorola DVR with a Samsung SMT-H4372  DVR.

The "swap" button on the Motorola remote was very straight forward. You pressed "swap," which changed to the channel on the 2nd tuner. When you pressed swap again, you'd go back to the tuner's first channel you were on to start, Press swap again and you return to the 2nd tuner. Back and Forth. No problem.

The swap button's behaviour on the Samsung  remote is unpredictable.   You do switch to a new tuner but, most of the time, you end up switching to a different channel then expected.

Anybody figure out the logic to the swap button on a Motorola DVR?

4 REPLIES 4
Helper

Re: Samsung SMT-H4372 DVR swap function

I believe that DVR has 6 tuners. Sounds like you are alternating between those 6 instead of just the 2 you had before.

Highlighted
Observer

Hi reds,

Thanks for the reply! Yes, the  Samsung SMT-H4372 DVR does have six tuners, unlike the  Moto's two. I too thought that maybe with every click of the "swap" button, that I was rotating through the six tuners. But, No. It always rotates through two tuners -- 1,2,1,2,1,2, etc.. 

The problem is that the two tuners that "Swap" rotates between are channels that were watched within the past two or three days that seem to "stick" while the current channel the DVR is on at the moment, disappears upon swapping. The two channels that the Samsung does swap between each are able to be rewound so I know each channel is on its own tuner.

Bizarre, right?  I don't think it's a defect in the hardware because everything else works fine. I think it's in the programming but so far I haven't been able to crack the code!

I spoke to Spectrum tech support, and the agent was clueless.

Browser

@Coaxial wrote:

Hi reds,

Thanks for the reply! Yes, the  Samsung SMT-H4372 DVR does have six tuners, unlike the  Moto's two. I too thought that maybe with every click of the "swap" button, that I was rotating through the six tuners. But, No. It always rotates through two tuners -- 1,2,1,2,1,2, etc.. 

The problem is that the two tuners that "Swap" rotates between are channels that were watched within the past two or three days that seem to "stick" while the current channel the DVR is on at the moment, disappears upon swapping. The two channels that the Samsung does swap between each are able to be rewound so I know each channel is on its own tuner.

Bizarre, right?  I don't think it's a defect in the hardware because everything else works fine. I think it's in the programming but so far I haven't been able to crack the code!

I spoke to Spectrum tech support, and the agent was clueless.

It may not even be a Navigator software bug it could be that Motorola and Samsung set top boxes handle the swap button functionality differently. In any case Navigator is in the process of being phased out and replaced by the Spectrum Guide set top box software. My guess at this point their is going to be no more software updates for the legacy Time Warner Cable Navigator set top box software.

Observer

toolman,

You mention Navigator software being phased out and replaced with Spectrum Guide software. 

Is there more than one legacy "Navigator" software?

All our old Motorola DVRs had menus displayed horizontally along the bottom and many more features than this new Samsung DVR Spectrum gave us.  The Samsung DVR has the menus vertically along the left side. The Motorola interface allowed mutiple Favorite Channel lists, Guide Listings by both Channel and Time, and a five minute instant rewind or fast forward feature. None of that on the Samsung.

So, are these two different flavors of the one legacy Navigator software?