Newcomer

STB-3802 error

This issue has been happening with both cable boxes we have. It seems to be one specific channel in the bedroom and random channels in the living room. Unfortunately, it happens 2-3 times a day in the bedroom and we have to unplug and plug the box in again for it to reset. The box stays on and plugged in when the TV isn’t on. If we reset it in the evening, it is frozen in the morning and the box has to be reset yet again. This is extremely annoying. I’ve called the 833# “Help line” listed on the error code, but all they do is say we have to purchase a protection for $100 (their promotional rate) for them to even look at our issue. We’re about to cancel our service altogether because of this! It’s difficult to schedule time off work to meet a technician here just to be charged a fee, and even more difficult to find time to take the boxes into a store when we both work more than 40 hours/week. All we want to do is come home after a hard day and watch the news or veg out on our favorite show. It’s difficult to want to confine with a service we pay a lot of money for just for it to work 35% of the time. Get your stuff together Spectrum!
7 REPLIES 7
Community Manager

Re: STB-3802 error

We apologize for any service issues.  Typically, restarting the cable box as well as removing and re-seating the cable coax will resolve most issues.  The issue may also be the equipment.  Spectrum equipment can be exchanged, free of charge, at any Spectrum store.  

If the issue is not resolved, we encourage you to contact support directly for further assistance and troubleshooting.

Please contact us at: 

Highlighted
Trusted Helper

What model cable box is this?  Since BOTH cable boxes are doing the same thing, this is not likely to be a box issue in fact, EXTREAMLLY UNLIKELY that this is hardware related, and a new box will not solve this.  Firstly, if you  have any splitters on your connection remove them.

Secondly, you will need to contact Spectrum for a signal and drop line test.  Have them dispatch a tech to your home, and put this in the work order. MOST IMPORTANTLY, DO NOT REBOOT ANY BOXES, MODEMS, OR ROUTERS FOR SIX HOURS PRIOR TO YOUR SERVICE CALL APPOINTMENT. REBOOTS OF EQUIPMENT WILL RESET THE SIGNAL ERROR CODES BACK TO ZERO ON THE TECH'S SIGNAL READER.  (The tech's reader in this case won't see a problem, when clearly there is an issue.)

When the tech comes, after you have not rebooted any equipment for six hours, tune to the channel that displays the STB error so that he can get a reading off that channel for both boxes.  You should also have him check your cable connections to the TV, outside, basement, and main junction box on your street.  I would also have the tech take a reading of any free On Demand Channel as On Demand stations are most sensitive to signal issues.  No box swap will fix this. We had the same issue three years ago, and the tech spent three hours here installing a new drop line and rewiring our home. Something inside or outside your house is causing this issue.  A service call following the above recommendations is needed.

Satch

Valued Participant

I had this issue consistently for 2-3 months with what's referred to as the world boxes (105 i think is the model). Ultimately, I had to change out my box for an older model (one without the new guide) and that came at cost of losing all DVR programs that were on the newer box. I also had to get a tech out to run a new line since existing line was old and outdated.
Lead Moderator

Good morning.

One thing that I concerned about is " I’ve called the 833# “Help line” listed on the error code, but all they do is say we have to purchase a protection for $100 (their promotional rate) for them to even look at our issue. "  

What is the full phone number please? We do not charge for support or to my knowledge offer a protection plan. Did they advise you what this protection was for? If you will please provide us with that number we can further investigate that. If you will contact us direct at 

Forums_ Help we can get that started. Thank you!

Julia R 

Valued Participant

I can say that from my personal experience with this issue is that the phone number listed for the contact to resolve the error code may be Spectrum, but it's not a Spectrum customer service department that had access to provide support based on my address. I had to Google 'Spectrum support ' each time I needed to call in. Interesting though that OP is stating that they were told they needed to purchase some sort of service plan.
Trusted Helper

@cb_2367 wrote:
I can say that from my personal experience with this issue is that the phone number listed for the contact to resolve the error code may be Spectrum, but it's not a Spectrum customer service department that had access to provide support based on my address. I had to Google 'Spectrum support ' each time I needed to call in. Interesting though that OP is stating that they were told they needed to purchase some sort of service plan.

Hi CB,

I second Julia's advice. OP should contact the moderator team and PM this number to them along with stating that they were told to purchase a "service plan."  I have helped people with cable services and features for over thirty years, and have also never heard of having to "purchase a service plan."  This number sounds fishy.

It would help if the moderator team could pin up a list of certified Spectrum Customer Care Numbers perhaps in one of the Spectrum Community Sub-Forums. Or if Administration wants to create a new forum area that is labeled customer service numbers.  Only Spectrum mods/admins would be able to update this forum section to insure legitimacy of the numbers/departments.  I would suggest two form fields.

• Left side is the title of the Spectrum Service Department
  • Right side is the verified phone number for qualified Spectrum Support Personal

This thread would be pinned, with a message from the mod team that these are current authentic Spectrum Support Service Numbers.  That way, our whole community would know if the number is not on the list, it is not an "authorized" Spectrum Support Number.

Satch

Community Manager

It would help if the moderator team could pin up a list of certified Spectrum Customer Care Numbers perhaps in one of the Spectrum Community Sub-Forums. Or if Administration wants to create a new forum area that is labeled customer service numbers.  Only Spectrum mods/admins would be able to update this forum section to insure legitimacy of the numbers/departments.  I would suggest two form fields.

Thanks for the suggestion.  At this time, we will not be adding a list of current contact numbers.  However, any customer can go to spectrum.net and select "Contact Us"  in the page footer.  There are also links for chat and social media.  If a customer logs in using their Spectrum user credentials, they will also get individualized contact information for their area as well as self-help support links.