Not applicable

Remove TV Control from URC 1160 Remote

hello!

i recently got a new cable box with a URC 1160 remote. however, it has only a tv power and "all devices" power buttons. so what happens often is the cable box will turn off and the tv will remain on. to turn the cable box back on, i can only press the "all devices" power button which turns on the cable box but turns off the tv. this is driving me crazy!

id like to be able to program a 'set top box' power on/off without tv power. 

i have searched and searched and cannot find a solution

is it possible for the remote to just have no control over the tv at all? it seems to auto detect no matter what i do

3 REPLIES 3
Trusted Helper

Re: Remove TV Control from URC 1160 Remote

@theshaka2 wrote:

hello!

i recently got a new cable box with a URC 1160 remote. however, it has only a tv power and "all devices" power buttons. so what happens often is the cable box will turn off and the tv will remain on. to turn the cable box back on, i can only press the "all devices" power button which turns on the cable box but turns off the tv. this is driving me crazy!

is it possible for the remote to just have no control over the tv at all? it seems to auto detect no matter what i do

Hi!

What's confusing me is Why would you want to program a STB button without TV power?  You need to program the ALL POWER or SYSTEM button to know the code for your TV, so that the Cable Box and TV both turn on/off at the same time with that button.

Here's instructions for programing the System/All Power button for your remote:

https://www.spectrum.net/support/tv/spectrum-remote-control-urc-1160

Satch

Highlighted
Not applicable

@Satch wrote:

@theshaka2 wrote:

hello!

Hi!

What's confusing me is Why would you want to program a STB button without TV power?  You need to program the ALL POWER or SYSTEM button to know the code for your TV, so that the Cable Box and TV both turn on/off at the same time with that button.

Satch

hi Satch thanks for responding!

Here is the core problem. The set top box turns off constantly, even if i set the power settings not to do it. you can see this when it says "are you still there" like netflix does and if not it will turn off the STB. 

So quite often, i'll change tv input to hdmi2 to play ps4 or watch netflix. then ill go back to hdmi1, and the tv will be ON but the STB will be OFF. there is no way currently to just turn the STB back on without also turning the TV off. So each time i switch back to HDMI 1, i have to turn on the STB which turns off the tv. Then wait like 5 seconds and turn the TV back on. very annoying!

so what i'd like to do is remove the tv integration from the cable remote and just use the cable remote when i need to watch cable. 

Trusted Helper

@theshaka2 wrote:

@Satch wrote:

@theshaka2 wrote:

hello!

Hi!

Satch

hi Satch thanks for responding!

Here is the core problem. The set top box turns off constantly, even if i set the power settings not to do it. you can see this when it says "are you still there" like netflix does and if not it will turn off the STB. 

So quite often, i'll change tv input to hdmi2 to play ps4 or watch netflix. then ill go back to hdmi1, and the tv will be ON but the STB will be OFF. there is no way currently to just turn the STB back on without also turning the TV off. So each time i switch back to HDMI 1, i have to turn on the STB which turns off the tv. Then wait like 5 seconds and turn the TV back on. very annoying!

so what i'd like to do is remove the tv integration from the cable remote and just use the cable remote when i need to watch cable. 

What is the make and model of this box?

So just to clarify-  You're watching TV with no input from you and the Power Saver setting is OFF on the box.  Than without warning, the cable box just goes off, and you have to do the above described procedure that you said to get your TV picture back.

Since this is a new TV and set up, I would get out a tech to see what's going on here.  And he can program your remote's ALL POWER button too if needed.  One thing, is don't reboot any boxes, modems, or routers for six hours prior to his visit.  Doing so will reset the error codes and the tech needs to read those.  He will need  to check your signals and line, and also check the outlet from where the box gets power.  A home tech visit will provide the best assessment here.  Post back!  Especially if you choose a tech option.

Satch