Browser

Programming the Cisco 8742 DVR with the UR5U-8780L

My old DVR totally died yesterday and this morning the tech brought out the one above along with a new remote. He somehow programmed the remote so that when I pressed VOL the TV device indicator lit instead of CBL as it used to and the arrows on the TV for VOL lit up on the TV however the volume would not change. So, I've been trying most of this afternoon to get this one setup as it should be so that the DVR Volume is controlled.  Firstly I can find no where the codes for the DVR to input into the remote for setup. They're not listed on the site that I can see nor are they listed in the remote instruction manual. I can enter code 001 from one of the other boxes listed, the DVR will turn off but will not turn on again telling me it's the incorrect code. The same as when I scan for the code by pressing the channel +- buttons until it turns off, it won't come back on. Any help would be appreciated.

15 REPLIES 15
Participant

Re: Programming the Cisco 8742 DVR with the UR5U-8780L

The volume control should be set globally to the TV you just need to program your TV into the remote

Participant

So hold ok/sel + TV... put in the code for your TV.  once the tv turns off lock it in... then your volume control should work. 

Browser

Don't want to use the TV volume. On the old DVR when pressing vol +- a bar would appear on the upper left of the screen and the DVR would control the volume. The audio from the DVR is routed to a Kenwood AV receiver. Once the master volume is set on the receiver I could take it up or down with the old remote.  I should also note that I can't even adjust the volume from the front of the DVR with the VOL+ VOL- buttons.

Participant

If that's the case then you need to go into the devices menu of the DVR and change the setting on the audio to Variable instead of  Fixed.     Then you would hold down ok/sel + cbl, Then Vol+, then CBL.  Also hold down ok/sel + TV, Then Vol+, then CBL.   The last 2 steps in the manual is "step H. Programming Volume Control"  Looks like you can only change the volume to variable if you have the audio going out through optical which would also be changed in the devices menu

Highlighted
Participant

Participant

Another option would be programming the kenwood reciever into the Aux button then assigning the volume control to AUX which probably would give you a bit better audio

Browser

Thanks, I'll give your suggestions a try tomorrow and get back to you with the results. Appreciate the help.

Participant

any time

Browser

Ok, here goes. I can't try any of your suggestions because the remote will not talk to the DVR, I have no idea what the code is to sync them. I went into TW chat this morning and they were no help because this person wants me to program my Sanyo TV which is not what I want to do. I can't do that anyway because the remote doesn't talk to the DVR. The Kenwood is over 30yrs old, yes, it was built well back in those days, and of course isn't programmable.  The audio from the DVR is sent to the receiver when then goes out to my external speakers. I also use it to switch between video inputs for the DVR or my Amazon Fire TV (but this is all extraneous info but thought I'd throw it in). It also has the 'master' volume control for the speakers. As of now the remote does nothing but act as a paperweight. From the front panel controls on the DVR I can't change the volume but I can pull up the guide, change channels, get info on the current program and of course turn it off and on. So, bottom line, without being able to 'talk' to the DVR from the remote I can't attempt any of your suggestions above. And without the code to input into the remote for the Cisco 8742 I can't sync it.